Search results

1. nickrobotron

Rogue ST100

Never heard one, but I’m confident it’s an amazing amplifier. I’ve been auditioning the Atlas Magnum II and have been completely wowed. The 100 should be even better. Nick from Rogue said it’s a healthy step up from the Atlas, and I can’t even imagine something doing a better job than the Atlas...
  2. nickrobotron

Wanna be entry level audiophile needs recomendations (KEF Q350's)

Yes! This is a huge step forward in your audiophile journey. I gifted CX-17’s to my brother, and while those are “good” speakers at a value, they’re not taking anyone to a new hifi realm. The 350’s are not my first choice at $400 and they will require nice stands. Nice stands cost $200 easily...
  3. nickrobotron

Need pricing on Pioneer SPEC and Sansui.

I am looking at a full stack of top of the line Pioneer pieces. SPEC 1 and 4, equalizer, tuner, tape, reel to reel, rack handles, and a turntable. The turntable is a PL-115D, so not quite as high end as the rest of the stereo. All of this is from a really meticulous old man. It is all pristine...
  4. nickrobotron

Technics SL-D2, 1401, or 1500?

Buy the one with no issues. SL-D2 performs just as good as the others and you can put more money in the cartridge. Best bang for the buck here.
  5. nickrobotron

New from KS and new to top shelf sound

Hi. Fellow Kansan here.
  6. nickrobotron

ADS L400 speakers: replacement drivers?

I was given a pair of these earlier version L400’s. One woofer is shot. One can be refoamed. One tweeter is dead. Cabinets and grills are very nice. I have been searching for replacement drivers for quite some time and I’m tired of doing that. Tweeter is 206-0100. Woofer is 206-0315. A list...
  7. nickrobotron

Parasound A21+ good bad ugly?

Parasound stuff never disappoints. I heard the 21 pre + model and it was fantastic. With smart speaker pairing, it can be end-game gear. Plus, it’s an absolute perfect match for your P6. My local tech does not hate working on Parasound stuff and the support, as you’ve read, is excellent and in...
  8. nickrobotron

Songs that ask a question: title, or in the lyrics

Here’s a favorite song of mine based around several rhetorical questions: In my mind I'm gone to Carolina Can't you see the sunshine? Can't you just feel the moonshine? Ain't it just like a friend of mine To hit me from behind? Yes, I'm gone to Carolina in my mind There ain't no doubt in no...
  9. nickrobotron

Receiver suggestion with old Realistic speakers?

KLH 5’s are whatever as well. Henry Kloss worked on a budget. Just more REAL walnut for someone’s walnut collection, IMO. But you’re right. I sound egotistical in hindsight. My apologies. He never asked for speaker recommendations. I actually thought he was the one that asked the first time in...
  10. nickrobotron

Whoa. What in the world is going on in this thread? Are you serious? Multi THOUSANDS of dollars to better a Kabuki 4-way paper cone speaker? AudioKarma has lost its mind. Based on that statement, it sounds like REAL walnut is what you are shopping for. Aesthetics are very important to me as...
  11. nickrobotron

Are you kidding me? Can you please explain to me how the statement you just quoted is incorrect? I'll say it one more time in a different way for you: Drivers and design, rather than real wood veneer, is what defines a quality speaker. Mass market Radio Shack speakers from the 70's used cheap...
  12. nickrobotron

Epos Epic 2 are fantastic speakers and can be found on the used market . They have a vintage BBC monitor look to them. They don't have real walnut, but they have a very high quality vinyl veneer that fooled several hifi reviewers. I am with you though. I am not a black box or vinyl veneer type...
  13. nickrobotron

A-S301 or 501 if you can swing it. Buy the nicest modern amp you can. When funds come back, buy the nicest modern speakers you can. It will sound infinitely better than anything that vintage can offer in that budget. Look into KEF Q series for speakers. They sound absolutely fantastic.
  14. nickrobotron

The best headphones under $300?

That’s tough. If I didn’t have my stereo as my main source of music listening, I’d pick Senns, because I like listening to music for hours. But since I do that with my stereo, I’d keep the HIFIMANs. I grab them when I want to be “blown away” by production. They’re just more fun.
  15. nickrobotron

The best headphones under $300?

HIFIMAN HE4xx and Sennheiser HD-58x from Drop are two very different headphones that are both equally wonderful. HIFIMAN are fast and transparent with a huge soundstage. They are fun to listen to because of the detail and depth and width of soundstage. I found myself preferring these...
  16. nickrobotron

$5500 for speakers. What do you buy?

Exactly.
  17. nickrobotron

Dan, I haven’t seen you in a bit! Hope you are well. I haven’t been to Acoustic Sounds, but that is who I am speaking to about the Spendors! I will be purchasing from them.
  18. nickrobotron

I am planning on buying Spendor Classic 2/3’s with custom Sound Anchor stands. That’s what those cost. Settling on those speakers formed the budget and I was just curious what everyone else would do with that budget. However, I learned my lesson. I will not be talking about hifi on AudioKarma...
  19. nickrobotron

Art, did you say that because of my thread on HifiHaven? Haha.
  20. nickrobotron

There are a lot of variables when buying speakers, but I’d love to hear what you guys would do with $5500 in terms of speakers (associated stands would have to come out of the budget) in your listening room. -What would be powering them? -What size is your room?
  21. nickrobotron

Vintage Recievers

http://www.luxman.com/product/detail.php?id=2 https://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio_visual/hifi_components/a-s1200/index.html Look at the many Luxman and Yamaha models that have the same feature set, build quality, and aesthetic as vintage pieces. Both of those are integrated amplifiers with...
  22. nickrobotron

Can you show us your power meters?

Reviving a thread from before I was even a member because I finally got a set of meters on my main amp. The me from 14 years ago would have been proud.
  23. nickrobotron

I have a pair of speakers I know nothing about

kfa888 is right on the money.
  24. nickrobotron

Speaker cables suggestions for 7070 and 717

Analysis Plus or Blue Jean. You can get a couple 10 foot runs of Analysis Plus cable for $99 on Amazon. Blue Jean has more termination options.
  25. nickrobotron

Luxman L-509X Integrated in the house

MY MAN! I just bought one of these too. I jumped the gun and put it in my signature, but it's not actually here yet. I bought mine new and I have to wait two weeks because it's out of stock in the U.S. How does it work with your ATC's compared to your previous amp. Particularly in the highs...
Back
Top Bottom