Search results

1. nickrobotron

Need pricing on Pioneer SPEC and Sansui.

I am looking at a full stack of top of the line Pioneer pieces. SPEC 1 and 4, equalizer, tuner, tape, reel to reel, rack handles, and a turntable. The turntable is a PL-115D, so not quite as high end as the rest of the stereo. All of this is from a really meticulous old man. It is all pristine...
  2. nickrobotron

ADS L400 speakers: replacement drivers?

I was given a pair of these earlier version L400’s. One woofer is shot. One can be refoamed. One tweeter is dead. Cabinets and grills are very nice. I have been searching for replacement drivers for quite some time and I’m tired of doing that. Tweeter is 206-0100. Woofer is 206-0315. A list...
  3. nickrobotron

$5500 for speakers. What do you buy?

There are a lot of variables when buying speakers, but I’d love to hear what you guys would do with $5500 in terms of speakers (associated stands would have to come out of the budget) in your listening room. -What would be powering them? -What size is your room?
  4. nickrobotron

Picked up a V-15 III. Need help identifying the stylus.

I got this baby on an old Dual table. The stylus guard says Special Tracking. The needle looks to be in great shape. Is this an original stylus? If I wanted to retip it with < $150, what would you guys recommend?
  5. nickrobotron

Phono Impedance question (Dynavector cartridge into a 700C preamp)

System: Rega turntable with a Dynavector 10x5 into a Kenwood 700c preamp. There's an impedance switch on the back. The options are 600ohm, 30k, and 50k. I've been running it at 30k, since that's the upright position. I really don't know what this means or if it can sound better. I've tried...
  6. nickrobotron

Cartridge tracking force recommendation. Heaviest or lightest?

Curious if you guys like tracking on the heavier or lighter side of the recommended tracking force. All opinions welcomed. Thanks!
  7. nickrobotron

Do any of you old guys recognize this AT cartridge?

This was an estate sale find so it's likely an older cartridge. Just wondering if it's even worth messing with. I do not have it in my possession yet or I'd pop it off and investigate further. While I have you here, what's your favorite cartridge for a Technics arm?
  8. nickrobotron

HELP! I've had it with Photobucket. Need a new way to post photos on AK.

Photobucket is so painfully slow. I was on the verge of screaming trying to upload the photos of my Parasound for BarterTown. Is there a similar image hosting site that I could use with about 100% less video advertisements? Or just a simpler way to do it in general that I'm missing?
  9. nickrobotron

First Dance songs and other love songs for weddings.

I'm getting married July 2nd. I'm starting to put together a playlist and thinking about my favorite love songs. I'm having way too much fun. The playlist is starting to get pretty esoteric and unfriendly for a large group of people. It takes a night of sleeping on it to wrangle it back into...
  10. nickrobotron

Where do I find cardboard mailers for LPs?

I am thinking of purging some of my LPs that I no longer listen to. I realize that the best way to do it is here, on AK's Bartertown. So if you want some good music and you're not a subscriber, now's the time to pull the trigger! So I am looking to purchase a decent amount of mailers at a good...
  11. nickrobotron

My apartment complex damaged my stereo. How should I respond?

While I was out of town, my apartment complex decided to paint my door inside and out. This is new management that is doing work to renovate the place. This evening I noticed some paint splatter on my vintage AM radio and my CD player. I flicked off the paint, feeling a little annoyed, but...
  12. nickrobotron

Recommendation for $2000 new speakers.

A friend of mine settled on buying a Yamaha A-S801 integrated amplifier. An amplifier that I am very familiar with. Good phono section, great DAC, remote, plenty of line level inputs, and plenty of power (100 wpc). A good starting point (and ending point, maybe). His system now consists of a...
  13. nickrobotron

Looking for a budget cartridge for a VPI Traveler.

I have been building my system up and am drained on funds at the moment. I need to put a decent cart on my new Traveler (Thanks Scott!) to hold me over until I can build up a >$500 budget for the table. I believe the table deserves a good cart. I am currently borrowing a Nagaoka MP-50 and...
  14. nickrobotron

Favorite turntable from 1973? Building a period system.

Hey guys, I'm working on building a 1973 system. What were some hot turntables in 1973? I really want it to perform too.
  15. nickrobotron

Kenwood KA-7100 vs. Pioneer SA-7500 II

Which would you prefer and why? The two units are both in fantastic cosmetic and functional condition but not restored. It's not a life changing decision, by any means, but I thought it would be a fun topic to discuss. I guess I could get both and listen for myself, and I might, but I'd...
  16. nickrobotron

Nashville to Kansas City, anyone?

I'm trying to purchase the Snells in Bartertown. Can anyone out there help me out?
  17. nickrobotron

JBL L166 or 4312a?

I currently have a pair of L166 speakers and am probably going to purchase a pair of 4312a's from Bartertown if everything goes well. This isn't a "which should I buy?" thread, but more of a "what should I except?" thread. I have a place for both of them. I'm just curious how they differ in...
  18. nickrobotron

Would a modern integrated sound better than my vintage-ish separates?

Currently running: Luxman C-1010 preamplifer Parasound HCA-2200 II amplifier This is a very versatile amplifier for different speakers. Currently running little Monitor Audios but who knows what I'll run next year. What's better sound you ask? Something equally as full sounding with a thick...
  19. nickrobotron

Can I get a list of the TOTL Sony receivers?

I am interested in finding a great Sony receiver for my collection. Something with a real wood cabinet and a good amount of power. Maybe from the 60 or 70 series. The peak of build quality. Not the 7800, which I've heard and truly love. I'm thinking earlier than 1978.
  20. nickrobotron

Epos Epic 2 question.

Do these speakers have real wood veneer?
  21. nickrobotron

Any good deals on 14 gauge speaker cable?

Does anyone know of a good web deal on 100 ft of speaker wire?
  22. nickrobotron

My new Parasound HCA-2200 II hums! Can you help?

Whenever I turn it on with speakers hooked up it has a hum through the speakers. It works and makes music just fine. Any ideas? There is an authorized Parasound repair guy in my area, but the price is pretty steep. I'll take it to him if I have to, but I'm wondering if it's an easy fix. I have...
  23. nickrobotron

Luxman L-100 vs. L-100U vs. L-110

Is there a difference between these units?
  24. nickrobotron

B&W 801 Matrix S2 (Value?)

What would a pair of black 801 S2's in good condition be worth? I know it depends on the market, but I'm looking for a fair price range. Is there anything to look out for with these speakers? Any parts that didn't age well since 1987?
  25. nickrobotron

Shopping for a net book. Or something. Help me, please.

I am looking for something to use for work. I will just need to explore the internet quickly and write emails. My boss is looking to buy a few for the staff and I am supposed to help him figure out what to get. It doesn't need to have many features, but it will need to have a keyboard. No iPad...
Back
Top Bottom