Search results

1. whell

Tidal is cutting their price for HD streaming

https://www.digitaltrends.com/home-theater/tidal-drops-hifi-hifi-plus-plans-match-amazon-music-apple-music/ From the article: Tidal has announced that it’s simplifying its subscription tiers by putting its lossless, hi-res, and spatial audio content into a single, ad-free $11 per month...
  2. whell

Hating on Wall Warts. Is there an alternative?

My audio system has a bad case of warts....wall warts to be specific. Let's see. There's one wall wart for each of the following: - Amazon Fire TV stick - HDMI splitter - Wiim Mini streamer - Router - Schiit Eitr USB to Coax converter - probably one or two more I'm not remembering as I write...
  3. whell

Streaming Amazon Ultra HD without spending alot of $$

As many of you are aware, while Amazon has a pretty decent-sounding music streaming service, it's not easy to stream the top tier of this service: Amazon Ultra HD streaming at 24 bit/192 khz . There are streaming devices that will do it, like the Bluesound Node and its variants. While those...
  4. whell

Decided to go for a Wiim in the Stream. A Wiim Mini, that is...

I've had the Wiim Mini for a few days. I've seen it mentioned in another thread but thought that it might deserve its own thread for comments, feedback, and trouble-shooting. Some early observations: 1) I've got a mix of hand-held devices on which to install the Wiim Home app. This is the...
  5. whell

Is old music killing new music?

Great article in the Atlantic that's worth sharing. I've lamented in the past, as a child of the late ‘60’s and early ‘70’s, that there's not much new to listen to and I can only hear my favorite older music so many time before it starts to feel like Groundhog Day. This article give a bit of...
  6. whell

Internet Streams - CD Quality Or Better

I know we have a pinned thread for "Internet Radio Stations". Suggesting something that's slightly different, but becoming more relevant since "hi - def" streaming becomes more pervasive. Anyone interested in a thread with links only to internet streams available in 16/44.1 or better...
  7. whell

A Schitt-y Lesson, Or How I Spent $350 to Learn I Might Not Need to Spend More

I've been reading and studying up on the evolution of digital to analog converters pretty aggressively for about 6 months now. I had started to wonder, with the passage of time - the pundits claim that 10 years is a very long time in digital audio due to the rapid progression of technology - it...
  8. whell

Premium Audio Streaming Services - what I'd like to see

OK, still learning with Qobuz. Also have Tidal but trial period will end soon. But what about.... - the equivalent of a HD / Hi Res “radio station”- like option. Tonight I thought it would be great to play some Holiday music. Nothing on Tidal or Qobuz where I can just select a genre - like...
  9. whell

Daphile....nice!

I've been playing around with PC-based audio for some time now. I've been using Ubuntu Studio as a base and controlling the music playback via mpd. I thought I'd see what a dedicated "audiophile OS" was capable of. Daphile seemed like a good choice. Getting Daphile set up is not hard...
  10. whell

Dingles and Dongles and Isolators - What have you used and does it work?

A cursory search of Google using the terms USB, Audio, galvanic, Isolation and or Reclock" yields pages of results. Dongles, black boxes, kits and interfaces. What have you used? What have you gotten rid of, and what are you still using? What difference has it made, or not made?
  11. whell

PS Audio Powerplant Premier - Toroidal Tranny Buzz

Its not loud, and its intermittent. Can be heard sometimes even when unit is in stand by mode. Anyone else experience this with this unit? Faulty transformer? Seems funky that a power regenerator / power conditioner would be susceptible to DC offset on the AC main. Thanks for any thoughts.
  12. whell

New (to me) Klipsch RF-5's in the house

I've always wanted a pair of these. I've had the RF-7's which were a bit too aggressive for my year. I've had RF-3's and RF-35s. But timing, money, whatever never lined up right to land a pair of these in the man-cave. Well, I'm listening to a pair of these right now. Audio memory is not...
  13. whell

They Don't Make Music Like They Used To

NY Times article regarding "the loudness war". Its in the opinion section, so this was not published as "factual", but its still interesting. From the article: But according to Bob Ludwig, one of the industry’s pre-eminent mastering engineers (and a winner of Grammys for Best Engineered Album...
  14. whell

One of Kegger's Old Amps Needs Repairs

Some of you might remember this one, since it made an appearance at an AK Fest or two: Paul's description: Parallel Single Ended Ultra Linear 6LR8 (taken to the extreme version compactron amp) I bought this amp from Paul a few years ago and love it. However, when I got back from vacation...
  15. whell

Streaming surge electrifies music industry

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2018/01/03/streaming-surge-electrifies-music-industry/ I'd suggest that this may have taken longer than some folks thought it would, but as streaming services improve, finances of streaming services stabilize and access to bandwidth increases, this only makes...
  16. whell

The "Getting Sound Right in Your Room" Hierarchy

All of this has been discussed before, but I like the way this is "stack ranked" in order of importance in the Audiostream article: The Hi-Fi Hierarchy List (in order of importance): Room/setup Speakers Amplification Sources Plumbing (everything that's involved with...
  17. whell

Inside Third Man Records Pressing Plant: Detroit, MI

Ever want to see how your records are pressed? See how in this article / video about the record pressing plant owned by native Detroiter and White Stripes guitarist Jack White. Cool stuff!
  18. whell

2017 Grammy Awards: Did Anyone Watch?

Just curious if anyone went out of their way to watch the Grammy Awards show last night. I'll admit I didn't. I didn't plan to watch it. If I happened to be watching TV last night - which I wasn't - and happened to be channel surfing, I might have slowed down to check it out. Don't know...
  19. whell

Spots in Pictures / Videos

Hi Photo Folks - I've got an older Panasonic Lumix (DMC-ZS3) point and shoot that I really like, but lately I've noticed some spots that appear in photos and videos. You can see them in the video linked here...
  20. whell

You can't be serious, can you?

PIONEER CS-99A VINTAGE SPEAKERS - $995 https://detroit.craigslist.org/okl/ele/5541823033.html Got to give the guy credit for trying, I guess. :rolleyes:
  21. whell

Bluetooth Stereo Speaker reccomendations

Hey gang - My wife, who's needs for "great sound" are modest, has asked for a speaker set up for so she can enjoy her music in the kitchen, at her desk her in the house, or in our room. She wants to use her phone as the playback device, with playback via Bluetooth to a decent speaker. I'm...
  22. whell

DSD Playback - "On the Fly" Conversion to PCM

My DAC is an Antelope Zodiac - purchased in 2012 or so. It does not play back DSD files natively. I recently read that Music Player Daemon (MPD) will playback DSD files as described here: http://www.musicpd.org/doc/user/dsd.html Since my DAC doesn't support DSD playback, MPD is converting...
  23. whell

Thank you Andyman

Put together a nice little music system to donate to my kid's school. Andy helped out by donating a pair of speakers to the project. Thanks for your kindness!
  24. whell

Van Morrison - Inarticulate Speech of the Heart

Artist - Van Morrison Title - Inarticulate Speech of the Heart Year of Release - 1983 Record Label - 2008 Exile Re-issue CD versus HD Tracks Reissue Genre - R&B, Celtic/Folk Rock Spending part of Sunday morning comparing the 2008 reissue of this album on CD versus the 24/192 HD Tracks...
  25. whell

Klipsch KG-4.5's rescued

Recently had a bit of a "scroe". - an older Yamaha RX-V series pro logic receiver. Sounds quite nice. - an older Kenwood receiver, kinda BPCish but still sounds decent enough - an older, but very nice Denon carousel CD/DVD player - a pair of Klipsch KG-4.5 speakers Was really interested in...
Back
Top Bottom