Search results

1. K

Denon GR-555: leave or replace main filter caps?

Thanks. I was expecting that... I have done that before and have never had any problems. It is just that this time I am conducting a very conservative and cautious approach, because the receiver is a fantastic device indeed. What would be the most cautious way for powering it up with the new...
  2. K

Denon GR-555: leave or replace main filter caps?

Hi! I will be doing a recap and some basic maintenance on my Denon GR-555. Bought it recently from the first owner in original condition and everything is working fine (except the relay which needs to be replaced or cleaned). Would you recommend to install new main filter caps (original Elnas...
  3. K

Bias (idling current) Denon GR-555

Thank you. Confirms that I was correct. The high value just made me think. Bought it from the first owner and assume bias had never been checked since new. Both channels were at ca. 95mV, now adjusted and stable at 30. DC-offset is very good at below +- 5mV.
  4. K

Bias (idling current) Denon GR-555

Hi, could someone please confirm that my method of measuring the idling current in my Denon GR-555 is correct? I am using one probe at the outward end (towards the 4 pin connector) of R15 and the other at R16. These seem to connect with the emitters of TR7 and TR8. The value was quite high...
  5. K

Recapping and repairing a Harman Kardon 730 twin power series stereo receiver

One last issue to repair: I am still having this noise and speaker cone movement upon power up. Is this normal? My temporary solution is to push the power button with speakers off, wait 5 seconds and then push the speakers 1 push button. Afterwards everything is fine and clear, no background...
  6. K

Any news or opinions on the question of 0.1mF for C715/C716 on the EQ board (RIAA mod)? Only reason for asking: I want to do the phono mod once and would like to be sure about that value. Thanks.
  7. K

Modding the Harman Kardon 730 phono stage

Just read the HK402 restoration thread: Leestereo calculated that the input caps C701/702 at 22mF would give a cut off frequency of 0.08Hz so that they could easily be replaced with a value as low as 1mF. Why would Harman Kardon use a 22mF there...?
  8. K

Modding the Harman Kardon 730 phono stage

I hope it's ok to add another entry to this well respected thread. I have a question regarding the values and type of some of the caps in the signal path: After some research and actual experience: what would be the optimum value for C715/716? I have seen that some seem to use 0.1mF at this...
  9. K

Experience with alternatives to UKL for signal?

The fourth and last candidate I am considering is Elna ROA Cerafine (have not been impressed with Silmic's before). Any describing comments on these?
  10. K

I can report a change in sound having conducted a full recap of my HK730 using UKL's for signal coupling: The sound has become "at least as clear as before" but also slightly more "sterile". With the original grey Elna caps I perceived the sound to be a little "fuller". I am quite sure that I...
  11. K

I hope my last question was not annoying in any way. I think I will be able to figure out what to do with the above parts (will most likely leave the original transistors in the power amp). I have included some 1N4148's in my order and will do (recap) the power amp board soon. Should I put...
  12. K

Doug, may I ask you for some final advice before ordering: - in the phono mod I see that you are using 0.1mF for C715/C716 instead of the modding thread's 0.39mF (0.33 or 0.47mF). I think that others did that,too. Is this the consensus on this by now? - regarding the power amp boards: do I get...
  13. K

Thank you to both of you for your input. There is no aversion against them. I am just looking for the best sounding signal coupling cap, asking for subjective impressions. The input caps to the phono section are blue, most others are grey Elnas. It is quite possible that these blue ones are...
  14. K

More votes for the FM's? Or others? The Service Manual does not explicitely state "low leakage". Was just assuming they would or should be...
  15. K

Hi! Has somebody achieved good (or better sounding) results with alternative quality electrolytics to the standard Nichicon UKL series in signal coupling? I am asking referring to actual experience. Talking about values higher than 4.7mF. Possible types could be: - Nichicon UFG - Nichicon...
  16. K

Thank you for your quick reply. Are there - with your given experience - any transistors in this specific receiver that you would always replace because the probability of them getting noisy or failing is too high? I am following a quite conservative approach and would only want to replace...
  17. K

Hey Doug, Sky and others, I will be selecting parts for my 730 project aiming to replace only those parts that will defintely be out of specs. I am planning to replace all electrolytic caps though as well as to incorporate the phono mod. Some questions for the caps: Doug, I have seen that...
  18. K

CR-800 main filter caps

Problem solved after one out of the last two steps: - replaced all ceramic caps on the EQ board - replaced the two 2SC1061's on the supply board with new ones (did not touch the rectifier diodes) Noise and pops are gone. Thanks to everyone who contributed!
  19. K

CR-800 main filter caps

I only have these available. Which one would you choose?
  20. K

CR-800 main filter caps

Hi Roger, testing is done with the receiver being open and closed. Phenomenon remains the same. Tomorrow I will replace the 2SC1061's on the power board with new ones I was able to source. Just to make sure... While in there I may also be replacing the 2 preamp power supply rectifier half...
  21. K

CR-800 main filter caps

Thank you so much! Have already replaced the EQ board power wire to make sure...
  22. K

CR-800 main filter caps

Yes no noise for aux und tuner. What worries me the most is not the noise and crackle but the loud pops and bangs that sound like something is temporarily shorting... Will check the phono rca's. For shorting plugs: I do not have any (did not have that problem before). Do I need a resistor...
  23. K

CR-800 main filter caps

I am sorry. Your last post would not have been necessary If I had not misread your question. I have actually cleaned the tape and function switch as shown above roughly 4 months ago. Checked the solder joints again - look alright.
  24. K

CR-800 main filter caps

No, it has not been disassembled completely and I understand that it may not be perfect. But shouldn't the switch affect all other sources as well?
  25. K

CR-800 main filter caps

Yes, should be ok. Also FM was working fine for hours this morning. The only parts that have not been changed are - the 2SC1061's and the half bridge rectifiers on the power supply board and - the resistors and ceramic caps on the EQ board
Back
Top Bottom