Search results

1. airplanedriv

AKAI Lovers and Collectors...

Very Nice!!! I just replaced the bulbs in my AA-R40 at the office...... I purchased small screw-in sockets that fit the existing rubber grommets in the AA-R40, and soldered the existing wires to these...... Next time bulb goes out.....just screw in a new one. Also, I purchased bulbs...
  2. airplanedriv

I found something in which you may have interest..... It is on Ebay USA and may be a bit more than your desired price range....However........ It is a Guaranteed excellent condition Akai AA 1200 (!) This unit is truly a powerhouse, very conservatively rated @ 120wpc.! This model has...
  3. airplanedriv

...99% of all speakers blown are done so through too LITTLE power....not too much....a low powered distorting amp is a speaker-killer....
  4. airplanedriv

That was not really a bad price if it was in decent condition.....to buy something brand-new with equal sound quality, you would spend over $1,000.....and it still would not be beautiful like the Akai. Also, that was the 2800.....a very conservative rating of 80wpc.@8 ohms. Mine is the...
  5. airplanedriv

Your pictured Akai Integrated Amp/Tuner combo is the exact one I run in my family room......used for listening to radio, an occasional movie, and (mostly) for when my wife has friends over to sing karaoke..... I run this with a set of Infinity RS-4000's (Emit tweeters), and a Polk...
  6. airplanedriv

These sound very good when properly amplified, and after removing the downward-firing "louvers" from the tweets.....
  7. airplanedriv

Bought a Yaqin MC10T valve amp

The set you listed has been sold, so I searched for more...... What I am finding is that the 12AT7 Raytheon is listed as the same tube as the 6414. I did find one pair listed as 6414's...from Australia, @ $64 + shipping. Is the 12AT7 in fact the same as the 6414? I currently run a...
  8. airplanedriv

Thanks for the tip.....on my way to The 'Bay....unless you know a better source...??
  9. airplanedriv

Just for clarification...... So you are getting better sound from the MS23B using which tubes...? I currently run the Raytheon 12AX7 Long Black Plate versions in mine, but have been giving some thought to Telefunken 12AX7's, about which I have heard good things. Pease opine......
  10. airplanedriv

Pics of your listening space

Have added a Yaqin MS23b Phono Stage, and a Yaqin SD-CD2 Tube Audio processor (between tuner and pre) with outstanding results.:D Am using Raytheon 12AX7's (Long Black Plate versions) in the phono stage, and Sylvania 6AK5 (Black Plates) in the Audio processor
  11. airplanedriv

XiangSheng 728A. What gives?

Update time....... I have added the Yaqin SD-CD2 Tube buffer..... Although it is marketed as a tube buffer to be placed between CD player and pre-amp, I am using it between tuner and pre......result is better sound from tuner than I had from CD source before beginning this adventure into...
  12. airplanedriv

One Word Song Title Transference

Why Me (Planet P)
  13. airplanedriv

Post a picture of your turntable

Beautiful from stem to stern.....!
  14. airplanedriv

Cheated just a bit.....I have one of these myself. ...Don't know how much you know about this model (other than the fact that it is an excellent TT), but it is an interesting piece, and to purchase a TT of equal quality new today, one would have to ante up several thousand $$ for sure!!! Hope...
  15. airplanedriv

Is that a Sony PS-6750 TT...???
  16. airplanedriv

I am now using a set of Raytheon 12AX7's(Long Black Plate) in my MS 23B with outstanding results.......Fed into a XiangSheng 728A with Raytheon long black plate 12AU7A's (Low noise) and Jan Philips black plate12AT7WD's. Love it!!
  17. airplanedriv

Thanks!! I really am enjoying "listening time" each day.....:D I tried to provide some of the info I wished I could have found when considering the purchase of one of these....hope it was helpful.
  18. airplanedriv

Maybe quality control issues......(?) Just happy mine performs as it does. If you would like to get rid of yours, let me know.....
  19. airplanedriv

The only function of the rectifier tubes are to convert AC current to DC....so I would think it makes little difference....? Perhaps yours has some issue, as my gain seems correct.....having said that, you could always replace the output tubes with similar ones with less gain....there are...
  20. airplanedriv

Update time.....(!) I have now replaced all of the Chinese made tubes with US versions, with the exception of the 2 rectifier tubes in the XiangSheng 728A preamp. I saw no reason to replace these, as their only function is convert AC current to DC, and can in no way effect sound. In the pre...
  21. airplanedriv

Update time.......New pre-Amp and Phono Stage. Finally opened Pandora's box and went with tubes......Never to go back...... Why I waited 30 years, I will never know. Have replaced the top cover of the pre with a piece of ventilated plexi-glass, to see the tubes.....
  22. airplanedriv

What Record Are You Hearing Now?

Journey - E5C4P3 Master Sound 180g Japanese copy.......Fabulous.........:banana:
  23. airplanedriv

Post a picture of your turntable

Beautiful TT!! Regarding your Dynavector cart......... I have been using the Ortofon 2M Red, with pretty good results....Really like the lack of surface noise with this cart. I have heard really good things about the 10x5, especially in regard to the imaging it provides. While I...
  24. airplanedriv

That was my thought exactly....... I was quite leery of the Chinese products in general, so I was hesitant to pay $400 for a new one, given there are decent quality tube pre's (Dynaco, for example) on eBay, etc. for around the same price. If you have had a chance to read through this thread...
  25. airplanedriv

A fair question.........lol The short answer is: Not sure what the "High" and "Low" mean....... I DO run 2 amps.......However, I use a splitter and run them both from the "High" outputs....with excellent results. I have tried hooking them up to individual outputs, using both the highs...
Back
Top Bottom