Search results

1. stickman

Jensen model 15 tweeter repair

Your best bet is to start looking on eBay for a used pair someone has pulled from some Jensen speakers they are parting out. Good luck.
  2. stickman

RSL speakers, am I alone?

Thor, I never paid much attention to the Nevada models but my guess would be they came with either the grill cloth or screen but not both. To me the 8 inch mid-woofer made the upper bass, lower midrange sound a bit too "warm and chesty" for my tastes. You have plenty of Elans, so keep an eye out...
  3. stickman

What are these, ribbon?

I recently bought this Isophon tweeter off FleaBay for cheapsies just to take apart to see what was lurking inside out of curiosity. Between two perforated metal plates was an ultra thin metallized mylar sheet. It now goes into my collection of dissected drivers.
  4. stickman

Realistic Nova 9 Rehabilitation

That "A British Thing" webpage that rmeade had the link to is very interesting just because it's presentation seems so random and convoluted. The information about the NOVA 9 drivers says the mid and tweeter were from CTS but here in the USA they were from University and I'm guessing the British...
  5. stickman

Old Cross overs - Leave as-is or Replace?

Normally only the capacitors need to be replaced and especially if they are non-polarized electrolytics if they test out of spec. Resistors typically only need replacing if they look burned from being over-driven. Inductors/coil wires usally are okay unless they look heat damaged again from...
  6. stickman

Rectilinear 5 Speakers

Lickyweaks, your Rec 5's are likely late production models since they have the KEF 5" bextrene cone driver midranges rather than the Philips 6.5" whizzer cone units used in earlier production. Your 5's also have Matsushita sourced dome tweeters rather than the Philips polycarbonate dome tweeters...
  7. stickman

The very nice looking "Max Tower" that Goodtimes posted a picture of is the 1970's model that was designed to be an audiophile type offering from RSL and very few of them were ever sold. The 80's "MAX" model bargain party speaker was a painted black (or was it gray? Hmm..) ulitity style cabinet...
  8. stickman

The 1980's vintage "MAX" towers with the funny hearing damage warning label were designed to compete with the Infinity SM series speakers offered at the time which RSL stores sold. The owner Howard saw how well the SM-120s were selling and decided he wanted an RSL alternative (and Cerwin Vega...
  9. stickman

Shapiro Speakers? Tucson AZ

The quality of the drivers utilized looks top notch for a hi-fi speaker of that era (1970's). The tweeters are definitely from Philips, the woofer might be from Eminence and the mids possibly Peerless but all look to be of high quality. These would not have been an inexpensive speaker when new...
  10. stickman

RSL Rogersound Speaker ID

Chimp, you are indeed correct about those being the RSL SpeedScreen speaker model. While most RSL customers were looking for a good sounding conventional speaker these were designed more for aspiring audiophile types. During this period RSL had a high end room called "Upscale Audio" in their...
  11. stickman

Jensen PR-150?

The MH-400 phenolic dome drivers are not very common as far as vintage Jensen speaker drivers are concerned. The similar looking non-MH-400 "Sono-Dome" tweeters are much more common as they were used in many more models for a much longer period of time while the MH-400's had limited applications...
  12. stickman

These are very early model RSL speakers that were most likely made in North Hollywood. By the time production moved to Van Nuys RSL had begun to transition away from using horn loaded drivers and abandoned them almost entirely when production finally moved to Canoga Park except for the...
  13. stickman

Anyone seen this phenolic Jensen speaker before? Model is NE-100

Those were designed for outdoor/all weather military use applications and especially for naval ships. They are highly collectible and if in good physical and mechanical operating condition fetch a good price on FleaBay. Because of the stiffness of the phenolic cone, surround, and dust cap they...
  14. stickman

Monitor Audio Bronze 100 break-in

Just playing the speakers will loosen things up a bit over time as the spider and surround on the woofer will loose a teensy bit of "beand new" stiffness but the result might not even be audible. Increasing the bass level will hasten the process but not to the point where the woofer starts to...
  15. stickman

Realistic Nova 9 - recap help

Grandville45, did your Nova 9's come with those CTS woofers installed? Those are a vast improvement over the tiny magnet stock woofers. I wonder if a previous owner swapped them out along the way because if they did it was a very smart thing to do. For cross-over capacitors a lot of people...
  16. stickman

Realistic Nova 9 - recap help

Regarding Pat B's description of the drivers above they were all sourced from University while the woofer was made by Heppner for University. The midrange is a spitting image of an Altec 405 A but sounds very different as it has much higher extension into the treble range but is prone to...
  17. stickman

Any Recommendations For A 6-inch Full-Range Replacement Speaker?

With a portable radio you will need to remove the existing speaker driver and write down all of the physical dimensions and especially front to back depth to make sure any replacement driver will fit properly without clearance issues. Also determine the ohm rating of the speaker to help you when...
  18. stickman

Midrange ID help please

Gordon is of course correct on that midrange driver and they turn up on FleaBay quite often usually as pulls from Allen Organ speakers being parted out. They will almost always need a refoam job as the surround foam disintegrates over time as happened to the drivers in your speakers. These mids...
  19. stickman

Anyone do refoaming near L.A.?

I live in Torrance and used to have my refoam jobs done by a guy named Victor in Venice area that used the name Heavy Sound Co. but sadly Victor passed away a couple of years ago. Since then I've gone to Bao at Speaker Repair Pros in Garden Grove. Bao does fine work but getting in contact with...
  20. stickman

RSL Speaker Identification help

You purchased the correct mids since the MAX model in the brochure uses those same Peerless midrange drivers and the same Peerless dome tweeter. It's interesting to read the Alpha 3 was considered RSL's "Top of the Line" model at that time and yet very few were ever sold since I regularly scan...
  21. stickman

JayHam the speakers you have are the precursors to the Model 3300 but are basically the same thing without the potentiometers on the front to adjust the midrange and treble settings. The early and mid production 3300's had the phenolic ring tweeters while the latter 3300's went to dome tweeters...
  22. stickman

Need help on 15" woofer ID

The 67 EIA Code shows this woofer was made by Eminence during the 24th week of 1979. Code List Link: https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/speaker-identification-cone-codes.1093595/
  23. stickman

I apologize, I like RogersoundLab Speakers, just got a pair of RSL 2600 Mini Monitors

I worked for RSL in the late 1980's and the 1600 and 2600 models were unique in that they were not assembled by RSL. They were actually made to order by Fostex in Japan and shipped complete. The 3800 studio monitor also used Fostex sourced drivers and I consider it one of the poorest sounding...
  24. stickman

12" full range drivers. Relative differences between the different types

I was going to recommend the Audio Nirvana Super 12 full range driver but it appears they are no longer offered for sale as the seller (Common Sense Audio) only lists the 8" and 15" sizes of this model, and even if the 12" size were still available it might be too deep for your cabinet. I have a...
  25. stickman

Radio Shack Optimus 7 Woofer replacement

I can vouch for the sound quality of the woofers used in the Lafayette Criterion 2002+ as I picked up a curbside pair and had both woofers refoamed (the original foam surrounds were "sticky" and coming apart) and now use them in frankenspeaker projects, one being a BIC Formula 6 which was a...
Back
Top Bottom