Search results

1. willyrover

2270 NO bass on PHONO; all other inputs fine

Is C713 installed correctly? The silkscreen can be 'misleading' on some versions of the board.
  2. willyrover

Uh-oh. My HK Citation 22 has got a hum!

It might just be a normal amount of transformer hum. That amp is a beast. You might try checking the bias - could be high and drawing more power than necessary at idle.
  3. willyrover

Phono "motorboating" solved(?)

This thread was helpful with my 2275 phono doing evil things after replacing all transistors with 1845s. Motorboating when input shorted (i.e., during automatic turntable functions), popping noises when adjusting balance, general noise, static, etc. Sine wave looked a bit goofy when adjusting...
  4. willyrover

Wurth brand capacitors seem to be good value for the money

Seems to be a German manufacturer. And the German's make good stuff. Vince Shlomi says so.
  5. willyrover

Burn In - Normal Distribution?

Manufacturer: "This/these _________________ need at least _______ hours of burn in before they reach optimum performance." Translation: "We know: a) you're going to judge your purchase in the first 10 seconds of use; and b) fear of missing out is a real thing so you'll stick with it if you...
  6. willyrover

KEF 104.2 will recapping solve my issue

I completely recapped my 105.2s with Falcon Acoustics parts and didn't notice a huge difference. I also have 104.2s. Replaced the FF, but did not touch the crossovers. I think confirming there is actually a fault in the crossover is important before throwing a bunch of expensive parts at it...
  7. willyrover

KEF 104.2 will recapping solve my issue

Maybe experiment with some cheap caps in the tweeter portion of the crossover to see if the highs liven up. (And test that 1R resistor)
  8. willyrover

How to troubleshoot this transformer?

This is a "divide and conquer" approach to troubleshooting. If the fuse blows with no loads on the secondaries, the transformer is shorted. If it doesn't blow the fuse, the short is somewhere else in the circuit. Use a dim bulb tester to save going through a bunch of fuses while troubleshooting.
  9. willyrover

Any advice on older TV audio out to soundbar without needing a separate remote for volume

If making this happen on a budget is important, you could modify the TV. Disconnect the speakers and install a speaker to Line level adapter. Run some RCAs out the back. https://www.amazon.ca/Kuuleyn-Converter-Adjustable-Impedance-Modified/dp/B08NDNRS28
  10. willyrover

Can you loop back to "main in" with y-cable from "pre out", when using with another amplifier?

I often 'tap off' the pre-out to add a powered subwoofer. Never had any issues.
  11. willyrover

Mcintosh 2100 thoughts

If you still have the upper end of your hearing range, I'd pair the 2100 with some 'brighter' speakers. My 2100 never stays in rotation long. I find it a bit 'dark' or congested in the top end.
  12. willyrover

Are entry level decks actually better than totl models?

Moving up the line of cassette decks generally adds 'features' that make them better recording machines. You want rock solid speed, near zero wow and flutter, and the ability to optimize bias to the tape your using when recording. Monitoring off the tape (three head) lets you hear the effects of...
  13. willyrover

Realistic Minimus 7s - are they really any good?

If you pick up a pair of them for 20 bucks then yes, they are good for a $20 set of speakers. I've had probably 15 pairs of them come and go and could never really listen to them for any length of time. I've used a few pair on the work bench until there's an "oops" and they blow up.
  14. willyrover

Help repairing a vintage CD player

...and/or caps on the servo board. I can't find any photos of the boards, but if they contain any of those blue axial capacitors (Philips I think), they will likely be bad.
  15. willyrover

Use Marantz 1060 as preamp for 2226B

Yes, if the OP wants to use the 2226B as a preamp and the 1060 as a power amp. However, the title of the thread describes it the other way around and somehow wants to use the 2226b as a source for FM etc. The OP also says they prefer the sound of the 1060, so bypassing its preamp section seems...
  16. willyrover

Use Marantz 1060 as preamp for 2226B

Not sure what your goal is exactly, but if you want to use your 2226B as a tuner (with the ability to plug in aux, phono, etc.) you would connect a TAPE OUT on the 2226B to an input on the 1060.
  17. willyrover

What is Mid-Fi?

Hi-Fi is your gear. Mid-Fi is everyone else's gear who thinks it's Hi-Fi Lo-Fi is for mere peasants.
  18. willyrover

Is this a fair deal for Phase Linear amps?

You could always hand deliver and keep the whole $150 for yourself.
  19. willyrover

Is this a fair deal for Phase Linear amps?

$150 for shipping seems about right.
  20. willyrover

Does Anyone Else Grind Down the Neutral Prong to Fit the Rear Panel Outlets of Old Gear?

The device has no idea which way it's plugged in. Ironically, when it DID matter (i.e., tube radios with series string tubes), the plugs were NOT polarized. There might be some weird edge cases where reversing the hot and neutral causes weird issues, but that would be the result of a poor...
  21. willyrover

Bad experience using Media Player EQ's

Digital files can't be pushed over 0dB which might be happening if the EQ is done in the digital domain. Many EQs (hardware and software) have a gain slider at one end to compensate for the overall cut/boost of the EQ. Not sure if yours does, or if you tried it.
  22. willyrover

Does Anyone Else Grind Down the Neutral Prong to Fit the Rear Panel Outlets of Old Gear?

Nah. Doesn't matter, until it does. Then, don't do it.
  23. willyrover

Do coupling caps make a big difference in sound

Only if they are broken, passing DC, or the wrong value for the application.
  24. willyrover

Interesting article on the state of the vinyl record industry

I'm not sure whether this claim is substantiated or not; however, a large part of the vinyl experience is owning the physical object, artwork, liner notes, and maybe even supporting an artist by buying physical media. They may prefer to listen to the music another way, yet still enjoy having the LP.
Back
Top Bottom