Search results

1. B

515B 16ohm vs 515-8G HP

Yes, crossover component values would have to be calculated accordingly. As appropriate as any 515 save for the "E" variant. Considerations rather than problems. 515B is made to be mounted to the rear of the baffle only. It, however would be my preference of 515's for any home application...
  2. B

Speaker factory - dual 8" tower - anyone know these?

The website shows a brown van, perhaps a more appropriate color.
  3. B

Altec 416-8b recone

But, he's still there, answering the phone? :dunno: Even though the writing has been on the wall for a couple of years, what a sad state of affairs.
  4. B

Altec 604e Cabinet Fasteners Question

Original mounting hardware would have been slotted fillister head 1/4-20 screws in a dark gun blue finish, and T-nuts.
  5. B

ARTSON speakers... anyone know anything about them?

Are you in the Philippines, where the speakers were being offered? The lack of cabinet mounted terminals strongly suggests that they were part of an all in one system.
  6. B

Free A7’s (Sort of)

My understanding via word of mouth from some who were there, symbiotiks were mostly about power handling. In the small format drivers the goal was simply to pass a clean signal with 30 watts input @ 500hz which basically amounted to shimming the diaphragm hub away from the motor assembly such...
  7. B

I was about to ask...

Consider this: That oxidation that you loosened up and worked away on the contact surfaces of the L-pads, is probably happening at both ends of your speaker cables after they sit stationary for a while. ;)
  8. B

Why ?

You'd really like a couple pair of these, MTL-4/MTH-4
  9. B

Speaker I.D. please

They could also possibly bear the tradename Peak. But, they were almost certainly made by Coral.
  10. B

Speaker I.D. please

Coral components, MHD-55 tweeters. https://medias.audiofanzine.com/files/coral-komplett-1-479906.pdf
  11. B

Hey anyone recognize these speakers

If that tweeter has an EIA code of 432xxxx, it was made by Long Engineering.
  12. B

Alteg 604G offered, do they look original or reconed?

IMO, your location makes any loss of value negligible/moot. Scarcity is the driving force for value in 604's. Good, ready to play examples are becoming scarce, even in the USA. While all original specimens are certainly a bonus, G's are getting on in age with the first production models now...
  13. B

Sorry, no. An Altec or GPA cone would usually have the numbers located much more to the outer diameter where they're easily read.
  14. B

Of course it's a raccoon. There's no slack in the tinsel leads! :yikes: Not the work of a competent speaker tech.
  15. B

Free A7’s (Sort of)

Can't blame you a bit. When i first saw the pics, i hoped to read they were a factory flattering likeness of a VOT/Perkins bin. There were a few made back in the 70's. Carvin made a good one(1330 H).
  16. B

Help with the Value

Design Acoustics D-4 will likely yield more results. About 200 bucks each circa 1974.
  17. B

Mounting 288c on mr954a mantaray

Here's a couple pics borrowed from the net that show how they welded and flush ground the studs.
  18. B

Mounting 288c on mr954a mantaray

You MUST remove the studs from the driver. The pockets in the mounting face of the horn are only deep enough to accept the head of a bolt, NOT a stud and nut. It's 14 degrees F here this morning, when it warms up a bit, i'll dig thru storage and post a pic of the factory setup where the plate...
  19. B

Bridge QRC 1200 with unbalanced cable ok?

Assuming you mean QSC amplifiers, those models have no business going below 8 ohms when bridged, you'll let the magic smoke out. Most versions of 802 have an impedance curve that dips to ~3 ohms across a portion of the bass range. Very few amplifiers will be happy with that load in bridged mode.
  20. B

Question about Altec Cabinet Design

I guess i dropped the ball on the "B" part of your question. The answer in a word is compression. Many of the same benefits and attributes that are characteristic of high frequency compression drivers are also true across at least a portion of the BW of a suitable low frequency transducer...
  21. B

Question about Altec Cabinet Design

In Altec circles it's called a constrained throat. JBL fanboys will call it a Perkins spec in honor of Cal Perkins, the designer of the 4550 and 4560. https://fohonline.com/featured/in-memoriam-cal-perkins-1942-2022/
  22. B

Altec 9471 A amplifier

Comes from a series of very heavy duty, low noise gear. See page 10 here: https://www.preservationsound.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/AltecFullLine1968.pdf
  23. B

Altec A7 crossover recomendations

902 has a response that's shifted an octave upward from the 800 series drivers it replaced. Don't cross it below 1200hz. The model N-1201 network would be an excellent choice giving you precisely a circa 1980 A7X load.
  24. B

12” BK speakers with altec woofer

Altec part number 034633 was the woofer used in model 8 series II, model 14, 9842 monitor, and the LF-2 subwoofer. 033785 was the woofer used in model 9 II, model 15 II, and Santana II.
Back
Top Bottom