Search results

1. petes'picks

What is the consensus on replacing working transistors?

Its a given you want to replace known troublesome transistors if they are not meeting spec. But if the unit is meeting its factory specs for distortion and output and sounds excellent after replacing a couple of transistors then replacing all the other 30 or 40 is not gonna turn it into...
  2. petes'picks

Do you leave your car at the gas pump when you go into the store?

This poll was from over 12 years ago, I wonder if the guy who hollered at the OP is still alive if he is still going around disrespecting people. Its amazing that in only a decade of time that disrespecting is now considered a shootable offense in many parts. I always tank up and move if...
  3. petes'picks

Cost to sell on eBay

Very small fish indeed. Even if they collected taxes from all the people horse trading audio gear it wouldnt even amount to a fraction of the sum they would collect going after one Billionaire and their over valuated expenses and offshore accounts. Going after people who gain enough to upgrade a...
  4. petes'picks

Cost to sell on eBay

The thing about the whole IRS portion of selling on ebay is that it is very clear who are running businesses compared to hobbiests casually swapping gear. If they really wanted to maximize tax collection they just have to look at who is driving expensive vehicles and living in expensive homes...
  5. petes'picks

The 6% commission on buying or selling a home is gone

Fast food workers wages have increased 3 fold around here but that $2.60 burger is now $6. That is about the only wages that have tripled that I can think of during that time.
  6. petes'picks

The 6% commission on buying or selling a home is gone

Not long ago when avg homes were selling for $200k that commission was $12k but now with home prices at $550 that 6% commission is $33,000. Seems a bit excessive for showing a home to a handful of people. They create the MLS listing which does 90% of the work for them. One thing that may change...
  7. petes'picks

Cost to sell on eBay

If your items do not sell on Bartertown to this gang of crazed audio fans then the items are likely over priced or to specialized and you may need a bigger audience. I did some work for an ebay seller who had sold over 50,000 items. He said that he figured he lost another 15% to scammers on top...
  8. petes'picks

Worthy Mark Knopfler charity project

I have all his Dire Sraits and Solo albums. Hope he raises a lot of money but I have never been a fan of cramming too much into one song, they never seem to flow or move me.
  9. petes'picks

Receiver WPC Question - Building A Vintage System On A Budget

I have a free suggestion for you to try. Turn the M10's away from your listening chair towards the side walls. I ran across 3 pairs of those about 10 years ago and every pair including the one with the peerless tweeter with the hole in the middle sounded much better to me with them towed out...
  10. petes'picks

What is the consensus on replacing working transistors?

I recently went through a 'working' receiver that sounded really nice but had some of those infamous 2sc458 transistors. Distortion measured .08% which isnt bad at all for a early 70s receiver but when I hooked it up to oscilloscope to see what the sinewave looked like there was some noise...
  11. petes'picks

Luxman R-1120 Receiver Left channel blown. Need substitute parts?

For what its worth, I just redid a receiver that had full DC voltage going to speakers on one channel. Turned out to be the transistor after the differential pair, didnt test as a transistor anymore. Mine was easy to track as I just compared voltage on transistors between the two channels. Maybe...
  12. petes'picks

Most Average 90's/ early 2000's "Hard Rock" Song?

Two Princes- Spin Drs Black Hole Sun Both make me change the station just as fast for some reason so its a tie. But you said hard rock so its Black Hole Sun for the win.
  13. petes'picks

Some Ebay sellers should do some research.

I have been tricked by sellers pretending to not know how something works, thinking hey that is a easy fix, only to find out they were likely playing dumb to hide the real issue with it. Looking at sellers history is must before I submit bids. Its amazing to see how many people are still using...
  14. petes'picks

Academy Awards 2024

When I saw Oppenheimer a few things stood out. Seemed like the first half of movie I was wondering if the background music was ever going to stop ( the score was excellent but I found the constant use of background music to be distracting). Another is that I have always hated actors who whisper...
  15. petes'picks

California Proposes to Force Manufacturers to Restrict Vehicle Top Speed to 10 MPH Over Limit.

In the mountains here you can be stuck behind 18wheelers for miles, once a passing lane comes up you have a line of 30 or 40 cars trying to get around it and the passing lanes are only 1/4 or 1/2 mile sometimes. Gonna need to build more passing lanes with laws like that.
  16. petes'picks

California Proposes to Force Manufacturers to Restrict Vehicle Top Speed to 10 MPH Over Limit.

New video from just this week, like we needed more proof the criminals are embolden by the lack of consequences. The truck is doing 69 in a 70mph zone, the 2 vehicles fly by him doing at least 25mph over the limit. Would have putting speed limiters stopped this incident or would have the car...
  17. petes'picks

Is anyone else....?

And the hyperbole for clicks threads are quite annoying also. Anyone with a brain knows that all amps and tape decks are not the same. Still not as annoying as the thread jackers looking to start arguments and doing their best to get threads locked when they dont like the content of it by...
  18. petes'picks

Gator Nationals 2024

For sure the little guys are shutout of NHRA nitro class. They are only paying $2500 appearance fees to Nitro drivers, which may not even be enough to cover the fuel to get the car and team there. Unless you have good sponsors or deep deep pockets you cant compete.
  19. petes'picks

Kenwood KR-5200 no sound pictures of innards.

With a multimeter you can check the values of resistors and see if the diodes and transistors in the area are working. There are plenty of videos on youtube showing how to check transistors in diode mode with a multimeter. Also look at the solder side of board for problems, look for areas...
  20. petes'picks

The Dark Side of the Moon, Remastered

There are a few albums that were mastered and done right the first time, DSOTM was one of them. When I see 'remasters' of DSOTM, Crime of the Century, Dire Straits, Kind of Blue, Moving Pictures, Pet Sounds and most Steely Dan I just think to myself, WHY? !!!
  21. petes'picks

Is it just me or….

Most all the vintage receivers I found even 10 years ago had problems, not one problem but plural problems. Its nothing new, maybe its just more people wanna get em working as good as they can or just maybe the gremlins are due to previous repairs/upgrades. I would pick a receiver to listen...
  22. petes'picks

Was Sound Design Ever good

My first unit I ever recapped was a old germanium integrated amp that didnt have much going on inside like your Sound Design. Each section I did improved things a bit and by the time I was done the imaging improved drastically and the bass was no longer monotone. The problem I ran into after...
  23. petes'picks

Kenwood KR-5200 no sound pictures of innards.

It is common to see burnt resistors on the power supply boards on that series of Kenwoods. Look at the solder joints carefully also as sometime the heat cooks both sides. I try to replace with larger wattage resistor and make sure to lift high off the board. Edit. Looking at your pictures...
  24. petes'picks

Was Sound Design Ever good

Judging by the size of the transformer it would probably be wise to not increase the filter capacitors too much if any. I think I can see two 1500uf 25v axial caps for filter, maybe increase those to 1800uf or 2200uf 35v then you have 8 or so radial caps on the amp board and the small input caps...
  25. petes'picks

Main belt on tape deck. Would turning it round help?

If it requires a lot of work to get at I would prefer to have a replacement belt handy. Read somewhere that some old techs used to boil belts for a bit to get more life out of them. Never tried it.
Back
Top Bottom