Search results

1. birchoak

Rectifier Diode replacement question

Howdy folks--looking to replace the DS-2P diodes in the bridge rectifier of a JVC 5540 receiver. Draws 150 watts max, rated for 40 watts per channel. I've looked and looked and I can find little to no mention of the DS-2P (DS2P, DS 2P spelling variations don't help the search). Any...
  2. birchoak

Kenwood KR-6160, Oh MY!

I've wondered about this model for some time and finally bought one. For those who don't know, the KR-6160 is a 1971, 55 watt, cap-coupled receiver with an engraved face plate and triple tone controls. It's quirky looks endear it to some and repel others. I wasn't sure which camp I was in...
  3. birchoak

Tools worth their price!

This thread is about quality tools, specifically the ones you reach for so often that if that tool is missing you won't be sleeping that night. Please add to this list and mention why the tool is so useful/good. Feel free to include something that's not a typical tool for hi-fi or other...
  4. birchoak

Sherwood S-7900A bad channel

Right after I swore an oath to not buy any more receivers, I saw this very clean S-7900A for short money and...broke my oath. The Good: Very clean, has not been messed with, all original w/ Motorola T0-3 output devices. Nothing appears broken, including the infamous OFF/ON/VOL switch (I...
  5. birchoak

The Fantastic Polk Audio T15's

These little speakers are the real deal. They have five-way speaker binding posts so you can plug in banana jacks or go old school with stripped wire. The grilles are removable, which is usually not seen at this price point. While I'm not usually a fan of black vinyl cabinets, these are...
  6. birchoak

Why do YOU DIY?

Curious as to why others subject themselves to this hobby. For me, it's several reasons. 1. I hate owning something I can't take care of myself and don't like feeling helpless.. When I had used vehicles (armed with a Haynes manual) I performed most of the repairs. Nothing complicated like a...
  7. birchoak

Bunch of orphaned transformers, what to do?

Just like the title says. I have saved the transformers from some, ah, early failures in my hi-fi hobby, and I'm wondering what I could do with them. I don't want to sell them or junk them. To me, these are like the once-beating hearts of stereophonic knights and there must be some cool...
  8. birchoak

Old-School Cajones and Brand New?

Did Yamaha answer our prayers and build a high-quality, two-channel integrated amp, right now? I'm looking at the A-S701 integrated amplifier: 100 watts RMS 240 Damping Factor 24.7 lbs. dual 12,000uF filter caps discrete, high end components (at least some of them are discrete-gotta be some...
  9. birchoak

Your Most Reliable/Best Sounding/Easiest to Maintain Amp/Receiver?

For fun; anyone taking this thread too seriously will be forced to read all of the short stories I wrote in college or re-cap a Yamaha CR-800 with a pistol-grip soldering gun. Ahem. We love our gear, don't we? Sadly, it doesn't always love us back and can be prickly to maintain over the long...
  10. birchoak

After replacing 2SC458's, do I need to adjust bias?

Howdy folks--just a quick question here. I want to replace a handful of 2SC458 transistors in the power amp board of a JVC 5540 receiver. It's a cap-coupled receiver, an old-timer with screw terminals and TO-3 output devices. If I swap out those transistors for KSC1845's, must I then adjust...
  11. birchoak

Creative use of spare parts!

https://izismile.com/2009/11/27/life_of_sparebots_40_pics.html This person makes it look so easy! What an imagination and what fun!
  12. birchoak

Should trimmer pots be replaced?

I read this article and found it interesting. I'm not going to comment for or against this practice, but wanted to see what others think. I will say that unless you know what you're doing and are very careful, you can destroy your output transistors when you replace the bias trimmer pots...
  13. birchoak

Potentiometer conditioning after cleaning?

Racy title huh? Ok, I've been cleaning my pots with either DeOxit or CRC for the last 12 years or so. I have not followed up with any other product except Faderlube to the sliding controls on JVC receivers and the power switch on 70's Sherwoods. Am I damaging the pots by not doing so? Do I...
  14. birchoak

How to do things you don't want to do...

I start this thread wanting to share strategies, perspectives, and anything else that helps us get through tough situations. I only have a few; I hope other people will share their hard-earned insights. 1. First, an easy one. I hate shaving and will go a week or two at a time before breaking...
  15. birchoak

Fun site with many nudies (SFW)

Stumbled across this: https://insidehifi.blogspot.com/2015/10/nad-3020.html It's not all stereo stuff, but poke around and you'll see some interesting innards.
  16. birchoak

Famous tales rewritten for hi-fi nuts

1. The Story of Goldilocks and the Three Bears: Once upon a time a girl named Goldilocks broke into the home of the three bears. We'll never know why, but she found herself sampling not their furniture nor their porridge, but the bears' excellent jazz collection, via a Kenwood 700M amplifier...
  17. birchoak

Sansui 800 volume pot issue

Since we're all stuck inside for a while I thought I'd address at least one mystery during time-out. I love the Sansui 800, but the volume pot will not "zero" out--at what should be zero it sends out quite a bit of volume and the balance is way off, too at this position. As soon as I turn the...
  18. birchoak

Sansui TR-707A

After owning a Sansui 800 and learning more about the Sansui sound, I bought a TR-707A on that auction site. It was rather clean on the outside but filled with ages of dust and rust on the inside. Both 1.5A internal fuses were blown, which may explain the seller's note "Have to turn it almost...
  19. birchoak

Do I buy this amp on Ebay? A beginner's guide.

Ok, I'll go first. This is how I try to decide whether a piece is worth buying or not. Ebay has many drawbacks, high prices being foremost, but you do have quite a selection to choose from. For me to buy an amp/receiver now, it should meet as many of these criteria as possible: 1. Buyer...
  20. birchoak

Marantz 2230 problem

Hi folks, hope you're having a great weekend, maybe even going outside and not creating threads online. Ahem. Well, the prettiest receiver I own is acting like a high-maintenance supermodel. Again! Arrg. Timeline: After searching for yet another 2230 for five or six years (the first one...
  21. birchoak

Random Rants

1. Jennifer Garner in those Capital One ads. If I see her damned fake smile one more time I will gouge my eyes out with a melon scoop. I don't know what they're paying her to do these ads but you'd have to double it for me to watch even one more. 2. Pinterest. You do a Google image search...
  22. birchoak

Just how good are your ears, audiophiles?

Put on your headphones and take this test: https://www.npr.org/sections/therecord/2015/06/02/411473508/how-well-can-you-hear-audio-quality For bonus points, show your score! I will post mine after a few responses. Happy listening!
  23. birchoak

Things I do to save money to buy hi-fi (and pay the mortgage)

This is way, way off topic but I can't resist. Caution: reading this may lead to increased spending on ancient electronic gear of dubious value. 1) I cut my own hair. Bought a pair of electric clippers about ten years ago and never looked back. $60, + $20 for a new set of blades this spring...
  24. birchoak

Paul Carmody Classix II Speakers

I've eyed these DIY speakers for some years and finally pulled the trigger. They seemed like everything I wanted in a speaker: 1) Hit low frequencies with enough authority to forego a sub-woofer. 2) Bookshelf size. 3) Inexpensive. 4) Just plain sound good--not fussy eaters & don't need big...
  25. birchoak

Channel Imbalance in 'STEREO' only

The problem: When listening to sources through AUX or TAPE MON one channel (here, always the left channel for some reason) is much weaker than the other and the balance pot must be nearly pegged to one side to get both channels to sound the same strength. This only happens in 'STEREO'. If I...
Back
Top Bottom