Search results

1. gmc

Mc2300, preamp

I have used three different McIntosh preamps with my MC2300s; the MX110z, C33 and C200. The C200 was/is my favorite, followed by the C33, then MX110z. All were great, just varying levels of greatness.
  2. gmc

Where's c_dk? (RIP July 4, 2020)

I'm thinking good thoughts for you, c_dk!!!
  3. gmc

Basement Blues

I'm not familiar with any of your equipment, but is there any chance that you could get different speakers or an amp that would be better suited to the larger room upstairs? I'd had to set my stuff up in smaller spare bedrooms for years, but much prefer the living room of our current house...
  4. gmc

C33 upgrade to C48 or C50

Yep, I still have my C33, and plan to get it in for service one of these days. I am completely happy with the C200, but I hesitate to part with the C33 because of its flexibility, as well as the built in 20 watt amp which I will use to power a bedroom system, eventually. That said, the price on...
  5. gmc

Pics of your listening space

Thanks. No, I was unaware of that site. Some pretty cool stuff on there.
  6. gmc

Pics of your listening space

Nice set up. Can I get another shot of the flyer wall? I'm a huge BLACK FLAG fan!
  7. gmc

MCINTOSH MC2300 VS MC452

Yep, you snuck in between Tony's post and my reply. I should have quoted him originally. FIXED.
  8. gmc

MCINTOSH MC2300 VS MC452

Nah, I'm happy to be off of the "upgrade" train. Being able to go back and forth between the MC2300s and MC452, I have no desire to change things. It's really a nice feeling. I'm running out of room on my record shelves though (that's where most of my "fun money" has been going lately).
  9. gmc

MCINTOSH MC2300 VS MC452

If MC452s were mono capable, I would be saving up for a second right now! I still don't think the 2300 would lose, for me, but maybe. I wish I could find out.
  10. gmc

MCINTOSH MC2300 VS MC452

I haven't posted in a while. Out of sight, out of mind.
  11. gmc

Show us your record stabilizer/clamp

VPI screw on clamp made for the threaded spindle on my VPI turntable. Works great to flatten most of the imperfect records in my collection, though I use it whenever I play vinyl.
  12. gmc

MCINTOSH MC2300 VS MC452

Sorry to chime in after you've made a decision, but I own an MC452 as well as two, strapped, MC2300s, alternated in the same system, with a McIntosh C200 preamp and XRT20 speakers. I absolutely loved the MC2300s but bought the MC452 after one of the 40 year old amps went up in smoke. After the...
  13. gmc

Moving up from C220 to C70 or...C1000

Congratulations! Besides sounding great, it's a perfect match with your MC500s. I consider my system complete, with my C200, but like 4-2-7, I would move it aside in a heartbeat for a C1000 (even though it wouldn't be a great aesthetic match to my MC452).
  14. gmc

Separate or Preamp Phono Input?

Out of curiosity, what cartridge are you using? When I first got my C200, with the built in Ortofon SUT, my cartridge was a LOMC Denon DL-301mkII. Because the recommended loading of the Denon called for >100 ohms, I initially neglected the C200s phono, with a fixed input impedance of 10 ohms...
  15. gmc

Help me pick a cartridge...

That sounds like a great deal for the Dynavector. The 20x2 and the DV XX-2 mkII were the cartridges I was leaning toward, before the Soundsmiths went on special. I never got to hear those Dynavectors in person, so I don't know if I made the "right" choice, but I haven't, for a second, regretted...
  16. gmc

I've never heard the VPI Zephyr, but the Zephyr MIMC Star, in my mind, is quite a bit better cartridge than the Denon. I didn't have the luxury to A/B the two but, whereas I considered the DL-301mkII a great cartridge for the money, I still knew that there was better sound to be had. Since...
  17. gmc

I had a DL-301mk2 on my VPI Aries and liked it a lot. Unfortunately, the suspension went out, soon after the warranty expired, and it appears that this is not uncommon. If it had lasted me another two years, I would have purchased another to replace it. I ended up buying a first iteration...
  18. gmc

Altec 14s in the house!

The 14s are great speakers, but the connectors are horrible, and horribly placed. I remedied this by running a short length of speaker wire, from each push connector, inexplicably located on the underside of the 77 lb speaker, to the exterior of each cabinet. I attached banana jacks to the...
  19. gmc

Name That Cartridge (Help Needed)

I texted him asking for the make & model of the turntable, as I would have sworn he said it was a Technics. I'm still awaiting his reply. At this point, I am convinced that it is a Pioneer. Anyway, it looks like it's going to be a relatively inexpensive replacement. That's good news, as I...
  20. gmc

Thanks ig88.
  21. gmc

Was it Quadraphonic? He's just looking for standard 2-channel reproduction. Would the proper replacement be the PN-Q1, if he can track one down? It looks like that is the Shibata version, but it is no longer available. If he cannot track one down, will either the PN-30 or PN-50 work? I can't...
  22. gmc

I think you nailed it! Thanks Montycat.
  23. gmc

A co-worker just inherited a turntable, and a couple hundred albums, from a friend who passed away. I forget which model Technics he said it was but, regardless, it needs a replacement stylus. I told him I might be able to help ID the cartridge but, although the stylus was distinctive, it did...
  24. gmc

McIntosh Amp ( Amps ? ) recomendations

Actually, the MC2105 is not capable of mono operation; the 2100 is though.
  25. gmc

Need advice re thinning the herd

Sell the TD165 to make room for the TD124, then worry about downsizing!
Back
Top Bottom