Search results

1. sound hound

New audiophile looking for tips on setup

Welcome to AK. Everybody has different tastes. My rec would be to find a good deal on a pair of used ones, and try them to see if you like them. There are so many variables. I think it is hard to know in advance what will work with your cartridge and receiver.
  2. sound hound

Goodwill/SA/Thrift Store Discussions & Finds

I doubt that it would be possible today, but about 5 years ago, I picked up a Phase Linear 8000 Series Two turntable with a high end MM Audio Technica cartridge (150LC???) at a nonprofit thrift shop. It was a Friday night and Craigslist had just listed it at $33.00. I figured that it wouldn't...
  3. sound hound

What's your favourite small speaker next to your computer?

I like my ADS 400e speakers a lot. Mine are in white and have the metal grills, very attractive. Though maybe a bit big for a desktop. For me, it is mostly for the midrange which ADS seems to be famous for. Right now, they are connected to an old Sony VFET amplifier, which seems to make almost...
  4. sound hound

Anyone else hate the new Deoxit needle/tube style?

Don't know if it is any help, but I've gone over to the small bottle with the needle applicator. I use D100 and the last time I bought the spray can, they changed the straw to one that hardly has a hole in it. I changed out the nozzle with an old one I had and then used the older bigger straw...
  5. sound hound

Some of my work

It's really starting to shape up.
  6. sound hound

Mail Order HiFi back in the Day.... Where'd ya Buy?

My favorite mail order back in the early 60's was Audio Unlimited in New York City. Prices on Dynaco were very good. I was a teenager and built them myself, as well as for my "consulting practice". My best client was a man who owned a flooring company. He said, "price no object". Man, was I...
  7. sound hound

Feeling a little guilty

You shouldn't feel guilty. Most of the records I procure are freebies off Craigslist. Now admittedly, I am interested in quantity more than quality. After becoming interested in records again, after an extended lapse of 45 years, I am back again. When your record library consists of less than...
  8. sound hound

Warning - another way for PayPal to keep your money

One thought is that the office location was not a paypal confirmed address for the buyer. I had a problem over a year ago where the buyer wanted it shipped to his office. I told him I would be glad to sent the item there if he could have the address confirmed with paypal. He declined so I did...
  9. sound hound

JVC QL-7, best $250-cartridge

You might look at vinyl engine for reviews of it, as well as the UA-7045 tonearm (though I think it is one step above the tonearm you have). Someone there said the tonearm is good with low to mid compliance cartridges, I think including the dl103. Not sure if your price range is just for new...
  10. sound hound

Reverse Burn-In

That is habituation. You get used to it. Whether it is good or bad, the newness of the stimulus wears off. For example, every once and a while, I change out my daily driver Polk monitor series speakers with Peerless tweeters to a pair Signet speakers. I say to myself, now they sound a bit...
  11. sound hound

Reverse Burn-In

Yes, the brain is capable of habituation. But I am not so sure that the body, per se, is capable of it. Maybe adjusting to sibilance is a function of brain habituation, but I know for me, it is just sounds offensive, and it keeps sounding offensive. It is an auditory irritation that never seems...
  12. sound hound

New Record Cleaning Machine

It certainly can be very sturdy. We used to have one of those in the basement--the whole sewing machine on the base. It wasn't really hard to move around, just had to go slow because the small steel wheels were sometimes a little cantankerous. As I recall, we would keep them well oiled, probably...
  13. sound hound

Leave it on?

Great thread. In addition, how about power surges? I have an NAD pretuner (solid state) with a instant on circuit. I can't prove it, but the electric company did some work and the end result is that the NAD isn't working now. The component was off at the power switch but was still live because...
  14. sound hound

Can't post, Can't Edit, Permissions, etc... Please use this thread

Yes, there is something awry. At least with some browsers, eg, Pale Moon. It works to enter from a forum link. As long as I stay at the forum level, I seem to be able to post (after signing in). However, if I click to go back thru home, then I loose the ability to post. It is as if there is a...
  15. sound hound

To follow up with problem posting I listed on May 15th, it looks like I found a work around of sorts. By using an AK forum link to get in, Pale Moon works as it should to post a message. I tried to post this message earlier quoting theophile's message on May 15th and lost the ability to post...
  16. sound hound

Duotone Styli

To add some information here, a few years ago I purchased a couple dozen lot of Duotone elliptical styli at auction. The drawing card for me was that there were four replacement styli for the ADC XLM MKII, each having an old sticker price of 44.95. :yikes: Paid more than wanted to but felt it...
  17. sound hound

The sca-35 looks beautiful. Have an old sca-35, built it myself back in the late 60's. Then...

The sca-35 looks beautiful. Have an old sca-35, built it myself back in the late 60's. Then didn't use it for years. Fired it up 10 years ago and sounded fine but made mechanical clicking noises so shut it down. Finally bought a variac recently. Do I just plug the Dyna into it? If it is more...
  18. sound hound

All of a sudden on Saturday, I couldn't post to any forum I tried. Not sure what I did??? :dunno: Anyway, someone here suggested a different browser. Pale Moon, there Firefox derivative is my default, because it is quicker. After pulling out more hair than I can afford to loose, I clicked on...
Back
Top Bottom