Search results

1. monkboughtlunch

MX110 - intermittent FM sensitivity issue

An odd thing I'm experiencing with my fully recapped MX110 is that occasionally, the sensitivity of the FM tuner reduces to the extent that I have to turn the muting button to the "out" position. I can fidget with the muting/tuning pot on the chassis to lower the sensitivity of the FM muting...
  2. monkboughtlunch

Best wire for gauge for use in vintage McIntosh power supply?

What gauge of wire did McIntosh use in the power supply of the MC2505? Any recommendations on good wire to use to match the OEM wire appearance and quality?
  3. monkboughtlunch

Marantz and HD Radio self noise

Do all Marantz vintage tuners and receivers fare poorly with HD radio self noise, resulting heavy hiss?
  4. monkboughtlunch

Interconnect cables for vintage McIntosh

Looking for a well shielded cable that doesn't have super long heavy plugs. A lot of the modern cables have thick heavy connector plugs that are inappropriate for vintage RCA jacks. Any suggestions?
  5. monkboughtlunch

MX110 restoration

A number of years ago, I picked up a late 1960s MX110Z. I recently replaced the capacitors and rectifier, adding series resistance to account for the lower silicon voltage drop. Photo below. I also replaced the line-to-ground "death caps" with X1/Y1 safety caps, the electrolytics, 8...
  6. monkboughtlunch

Aftermarket auto dash / front door parallel speaker impedance questions

Need forum expertise on this issue: 1. Aftermarket car receiver is by Pioneer. Pioneer manual states "When speaker output is used by 4 channels, use speakers over 50 W (maximum input power) and between 4 Ω to 8 Ω (impedance value). Do not use 1 Ω to 3 Ω speakers for this unit." 2. I've...
  7. monkboughtlunch

MX110 filament diodes

Should the MX110Z filament diodes in this package (please see photo) be replaced? If so, with what? Or is this package diode reliable and can stay?
  8. monkboughtlunch

Inductive wire wound resistors: MC2505 MC250 MC2105 MC2100

I've read the wire wound resistors used in the MC2505 MC250 MC2105 MC2100 can fail as they age. 139-065 (3.6k 5W 5%) 139-048 (.56 ohm 5W) 139-071 (.33 ohm 5W) It's been noted that some of the wire wounds, including those made by Rockwood, are inductive and that if inductive replacements are...
  9. monkboughtlunch

MX110: How warm should the 2 can caps get?

The MX110 transformer is known to get hot. But the two multi-section metal can caps (C115 and C116 which are new CE Manufacturing cans) get quite warm to the touch after 30 minutes. Are warm can caps normal (i.e. picking up radiated heat from the transformer or nearby tubes)? Or should the...
  10. monkboughtlunch

Affix ROK B12 top plate to wood plinth - best practices? (inserts, screws, epoxy etc)

What are best practices to affix a metal ROK B12 top plate to a ply plinth? I'm thinking inserts are better than screwing directly into the wood. This will allow the top plate to be unscrewed and rescrewed for maintenance without degrading the integrity of the wood. 1. Is a 1/4" insert and...
  11. monkboughtlunch

MC2505 recap BOM / parts list

Has anyone here recapped their MC2505 and compiled a BOM/parts list for a full recap that you wish to share? I know where I can source the can caps. More interested in the rest of the electrolytics. Looking for high quality caps with long rated lifetimes. I realize there may be some...
  12. monkboughtlunch

Do modern day MAC preamps have built-in subsonic turntable filters?

Do modern day MAC preamps have built-in subsonic rumble filters for the phono inputs that are part of the circuit and always "on?" Or do they not have any subsonic filtering for the phono inputs?
  13. monkboughtlunch

Glass faceplate comparison: Original vs Modern replacement

We should be thankful McIntosh still makes glass faceplates for vintage gear given how prone the originals are to bubbling or breaking. But just how faithful are the modern day glass faceplate reproductions that McIntosh sells compared to the originals? I compared an original glass faceplate...
  14. monkboughtlunch

2505 LEE gel # for blue meters

Does anyone know the LEE gel # for the specific color of the theater gel that McIntosh used for the MC 2505's blue meters? There is a theater gel in the MC2505 to help achieve the blue color of the meter. I'm not talking about the blue plexiglass in front of the meters. I'm talking about the...
  15. monkboughtlunch

Foam replacement for GLASS RAIL BRACKETS MC2505

The glass rail brackets of the MC2505 (and many other vintage MACs) use foam where the bracket touches the glass. The old foam is now rotted and crumbling everywhere. Has anyone found an ideal replacement foam? Or is there a better material than foam like weatherstripping that won't rot in...
  16. monkboughtlunch

McIntosh bubbling around headphone jack: MC2505 MC2105

Has anyone successfully eliminated paint separation around the headphone jack on a vintage MAC? I know that on the vintage black glass faceplates you can touch up tiny missing paint specs with Testor's black model paint. However, what about the **much larger** paint separation that encircles...
  17. monkboughtlunch

Reliability of CE Manufacturing Multi-Section Can Capacitors?

How reliable are the new production CE multi-section can capacitors (made with old Mallory tooling) being sold for McIntosh tube amps and preamps? Are the CE caps more or less reliable than, for example, a Hayseed Hamfest can stuffed with 105C radial Nichicon capacitors?
  18. monkboughtlunch

Best LEDs for the MC2505 amplifier?

I looked through past threads, but wanted to get some current info about LEDs on the market: Has anyone with an MC2505 experimented with different brand LEDs on the market and care to share which LED part numbers worked best in terms of brightness and longevity? Is it best to use warm white...
  19. monkboughtlunch

MC2505 9300uF modern filter capacitor replacement part # sub?

The MC2505 has two main filter caps (Position C29, C30), each 9300uF, 45V. (Part 066-106). McIntosh Customer Services states: "These caps are no longer available and there are no substitutes." Question: Has anyone identified a high quality replacement of similar capacitance, voltage rating...
  20. monkboughtlunch

Capacitor voltage ratings: do higher voltage ratings perform differently in circuit

I have read a few apparently conflicting things about increased voltage ratings when recapping. Here is a summary of things I have read. Assume for the following that the capacitance value for the recap is the same as the original cap, but the voltage rating is increased. Conflicting...
  21. monkboughtlunch

What kind of hum is this?

I don't have a scope and am trying to narrow down the probable cause of hum from a solid state Zenith console. The amp (all germanium) and tuner/preamp (germanium and silicon) are on separate chassis which is connected via a Molex cord. The hum was present both before and after the full recap...
  22. monkboughtlunch

MX110 - C117 cardboard can replacement caps

Original stock values: C117A: 1000uf 16v C117B: 2000uf 16v Authenticap sells a replacement (part number KTL10), but it's not in a cardboard can. Why not? Authenticap significantly increases capacitance on C117B. Is there any impact on inrush current stressing the transformer and rectifiers...
  23. monkboughtlunch

"Common Positive" vintage multi-section can capacitors

Help me understand vintage Mallory multi-section main filter can capacitor markings: What do the "lowest negative" and "max difference" markings mean? Does "common positive" apply to only one section (△) or the entire can? Below are markings from the side of an example from a 3 section can...
Back
Top Bottom