Search results

1. M

Audio Signal Generator

Looking for a portable audio signal generator one that will sweep 20hz to 20khz without breaking the bank. Recommendation would sure help. A CD would work not having any luck finding one on the web. Mike
  2. M

Stereo audio mixer/pre-amp rack mount

Really amazed at having such a hard time finding this piece of gear. I have receiver using the pre-amp section to control home entertainment ctr. I'm trying to find piece of rack mount gear to plug in cd player, phono, and tuner with mic input. If I have to purchase used and have it...
  3. M

Upgrading rack mount gear

It has been a while but now that it is winter up North spending a lot more time listening music on our vintage gear. A lot of it is over 30yrs. old so it is time to think about a few upgrades. Who offers rack mount stereo gear specifically intergrated amp, and tuner for example? I have spent...
  4. M

Connecting Speaker grounds in Bi-Amped System

We are remodeling our cellar want to change the speaker wall plates. They are now plastic keeping the speaker grounds from the two amplifiers separated. Want to replace the plastic wall plates with stainless steel which will tie the two amps speaker grounds together. Will that cause problems?
  5. M

Reciever life expectancy?

We have owned a Pioneer VSX-D1S bought new in 1992, cannot imagine ever being without it. Doubt we could ever find another amp to replace it especially with the features this amp has. The question is how long can these amps last. Ours is not played every day is never pushed any where near...
  6. M

Reciever amp useful life before rebuild.

Getting back into tube amps presently replacing caps and resisters in Heathkit W-5M. It got me wondering just how long can one expect newer electronics to run efficiently before needing rebuild. We own one of my all time favorite receiver amps a "Pioneer VSX-D1S" it has everything we have...
  7. M

Compare Klipsch K400 to Altec 811B

Wanting to upgrade horns for sitting on top of our LaScalla's. Was wondering how the Altec 811 series compared the Klipsch K400. Is there a noticeable difference? Also considering building my own horns wondering if wood sounds better than metal or say fiberglass. Interested in all opinions...
  8. M

CD player that can handle heavy sub base.

For years now we have used a Walkman style CD player on our DJ rig we have set up downstairs. Before that we tried all sorts of players when the bass volume was pushed a little the poor players went off line every time. There have to be players that handle that kind of power any suggestions?
  9. M

JBL 2420 driver problems?

Looking for a pair of JBL 2420 drivers for a speaker build and used is the way I want to go. Are there any problems that should concern me. One pair I have found the owner says they are not working could it be just the diaphragms are shot or worse?
  10. M

looking for Tube Substitution Guidebook

Reviving old Heathkit tube gear would really like to pick up a Guidebook that would help me with the tubes of that era. Any suggestions? Mike Ross
  11. M

Western Electric 15A or 16A horns?

Anybody ever hear of these speakers for sale any where? Would much prefer the 15A but consider the 16A.
  12. M

Need help find a tube amp.

I really would like to find a tube amp preferably stereo and suggestions on wpc to deliver a decent signal to rattle the window frames,that is certainly negotiable. I have a neat old Heathkit mono tube amp that does an amazing job. It has been stored away for years. Condition is not a big issue...
  13. M

Anybody own AAL speakers?

All the years we did mobile DJ work our speaker of choice were AAL's pro speakers. Our first pair were their Disco Towers which we eventually sold and installed at a local roller skating rink. The next pair were the Super Jocks these were in a word Incredible! They could handle 1000 watts a spl...
  14. M

Best skip protection in CD players

Presently the only CD player we can use on our retired DJ equipment is a portable player with memory which happens to be a Panasonic model. Was wondering if there were other options with better skip protection.
  15. M

Cleaning all connections?

We are finally empty nesters again got all the dust cleaned off the Mobile DJ gear we used for years need to take apart and clean all connections Was wondering what the latest and greatest products to use these days for cleaning and possibly lubing to clean the signals. Have noticed a little...
  16. M

Pioneer VSX-D1S any out there?

Since retiring and finally empty nesters have reignited the urge to play music the way we always used to,seems so good to feel this way again. One of our all time favorite receiver amps has been the Pioneer VSX-D1S. Was wondering how many out there might be using one of these powerhouses.
  17. M

First really powerful sound system.

Will never forget my first experience with a truly powerful sound system back in the early 70's.With wife, brothers and sisters in tow were invited to a private showing and listened to the tune "Dream Weaver" by Gary Wright. To this day we still talk about it. We heard it through a set of AAL...
  18. M

Turntable upgrade?

Getting ready to setup our cellar again to the listening room it was originally meant to be.For a number of years it has been a living area for a sibling who recently moved on. Used to do mobile DJ work years ago still have Technics SLQ2 tables,and have always wondered if spinning records on...
  19. M

AAL speakers

Anyone using AAL speakers? Years ago bought a pair of their Disco Towers Oh how we enjoyed playing them for everyone. Then totaled enjoyed a pair of their Super Jocks for years which we used in our mobile DJ work and work it was those things are heavy and bulky. As much as we enjoyed the spl...
  20. M

Hello from the NorthEast

Found this forum looking for info on a the Heathkit AA 1640 poweramp,would like to find one. I built more than a dozen Heathkits many years ago my first being the AA 1640. Mike Ross
Back
Top Bottom