Search results

1. J

New Speaker Cable Day!

I hope my post was not interpreted as such.. It certainly wasn't meant that way. jn
  2. J

New Speaker Cable Day!

You amatooers crack me up.. You make a cable that has a characteristic impedance of 6.25 ohms and an inductance per foot of 12 nH for a cable total of about 120 nanohenries...and then run 6 inches of isolated conductor at each end of the cable, adding about 2 to 3uH to the system...roughly...
  3. J

Ground Loopiness

I assume your tt also has a ground wire. Take that ground wire, and wrap it around the cables from the ttable to the receiver, then connect it to the grounding lug/post. The idea is to minimize the loop between the grounding wire and the coax shields. jn
  4. J

I hooked my speakers up with 3 ft. lamp cord...

Aerogel house? Or aerogel stones?? Here's the graphs I mentioned. The first is R, note how quickly the copper of the pcb kills the series resistance. The second is L, note how the copper kills the inductance as well. jn
  5. J

Exactly. Tying the air cores down like that trashes the hf resistance of the coils as a consequence of the copper on the other side of the board. I thought I could copy/paste my measurements of 3 different inductors on and off a copper pcb plane, but it didn't work.. Of note is that the...
  6. J

Don't worry about the wire. LOOK AT WHAT THE INDUCTORS ARE RESTING ON!!!! Holy mackeral, those inductors are going to go way outta spec by the time the frequency hits a Khz... What were they thinking, locking them down on a field of copper set to eddy the daylights out of midband audio...
  7. J

Ah, that explains why my outdoor speakers sound different whenever a squirrel is in the yard...distracted electromotive force...:D jn
  8. J

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drift_velocity jn
  9. J

I'm not following that. The closer one approaches C, the more mass one has. I've not heard that if it reaches C it is "converted" to energy. jn
  10. J

Why? I do not believe anyone has stated such timing problems. Actually, it cannot ever travel that fast. Nor, can it be a photon. We can accelerate them to within small fractions of C, but can never get there. Quite close. In a vacuum, it is indeed determined by the voltage potential...
  11. J

As was pointed out, your math was in error. However, the propagation velocity of a signal in a lamp cord zip will be about 2 to 3 nanoseconds per foot for signals at the characteristic impedance of the zip cord, which is 100 to 150 ohms. That is not the effective signal velocity for energy...
  12. J

High end power cords...here we go again!

On what date did they stop falling off the edge of the earth?:D jn
  13. J

High end power cords...here we go again!

Ole Lunds concept is correct. However, he doesn't understand the coupling mechanism at all. The antennae concept is a far field planar e/m wave concept. Within the confines of the home environment, coupling is near field, and primarily near field low impedance (ie: magnetic field vs electric...
  14. J

interconnect length vs speaker cable length

Would you explain why? They are both. The transmission line model is the more complete and accurate one, the RLC model is a truncated version of the physics utilized to simplify the application. It provides a more integrated transfer function, whereas the t-line model will provide a higher...
  15. J

Cable Direction

I recommend no drinking while nailing. Bad for the fingers. jn
  16. J

Why is it that every time someone starts a thread about cables it gets shut down?

And what do you base that statement on? The ridiculous assertions of some engineer with very little understanding? A web page? The teachings of approximations in a university without an accurate basis of knowledge? Seeing all those terribly flawed assertions drives me batty. jn
  17. J

Advantage of using speciality fuses and power cords

robgmn Who are you speaking to? jn
  18. J

Advantage of using speciality fuses and power cords

Then the expectation is that equipment with no grounding conductor cannot have a hum problem? That is not my experience. In opposition to NEC. jn
  19. J

ground loop?

If it is not UL listed, I would not recommend it. The internal diodes are not rated to survive a bolted fault or even a partial short. If one of the pieces of equipment fails hot to ground, it may blow the internal diodes before the circuit breaker can open. Leaving hot equipment. jn
  20. J

Will separating my hot and ground speaker wire improve the sound?

It is essential. However, it is not essential when it is being used to temper reaction to attacking phrases.. you know, like "your an A-###....only kidding" Here you attack other's intelligence, then try to inject humor... The humor is fun, nicely done. But does not compensate for...
  21. J

no offense taken. I do not see that measurement capability in situ in the next decade or two. the audio researchers need to update their understandings to the point where it can be applied to two channel audio. While Greisinger does very well at moving the bar up, he still has a ways...
  22. J

No wonder. Humans have the ability to distinguish interaural time delays down at the 5 uSec level in the 500 to 2K band undithered, and down to the 1.2 uSec level from 500 hz to 12 KHz with dithered signals. This is the level of delays which will modify our perception of a virtual source...
  23. J

I use 14 guage twisted wire from home depot. Except for my outdoor speakers. There I use landscaping wire. For my big stuff, I use 12/3 extension cord with the ends cut off, neutriks replacing the power ends. jn
  24. J

Gents, would it be possible to hold off with the non technical jibes? Not too bad humor wise, but t'aint helping a real discussion. Thanks, John
  25. J

A TDR is essentially a single pass device. It will only see the natural propagation speed or delay of a cable and when reflections if any occur, including load integrity. It will be incapable of waiting the several hundred transits of a cable to measure how long it takes to settle to any...
Back
Top Bottom