Search results

1. muovimies

Brake fluid and idler wheels....good idea or no?

If light sanding doesn't help and bring out "fresh" rubber, then nothing to lose with trying brake fluid. It can work well, but my experience is sometimes things are just too far gone. If the rubber is hardened, but hasn't completely lost 'the rubbery feel', I've had a good success rate...
  2. muovimies

What are the most desirable Dual Turntables and why?

Advance of technology and the shiny new thing, but also most of those old idlers were severely held back by their bases or plinths or whatever you wanna call them. I don't know what the Garrards were sold with commonly, but at least the Duals and Lencos were not very neutral sounding in their...
  3. muovimies

Does changing faceplate and plinth on Thorens TD 160 hurt value

That's a TD-165 but seems to have the TP-16mk1, so I don't think it's stock :) Unless at some point they actually shipped the TD-165 with that, but all I've seen had the cheaper version of the arm with the string & weight antiskate. TP-11 it was called maybe?
  4. muovimies

Apparently I Am Collecting Interesting Out Of Production Cartridges

Getting a bit off-topic but I've found barely any effective tip mass figures for carts with boron rod cantilevers. Boron (and beryllium) pipes dominate the list of carts with lowest tip mass ever, short/small/thin/tapered aluminum cantilevers can be really light as well. There are a couple of...
  5. muovimies

Broken cantilever on AT-OC9XML: opinion wanted on best AT replacement cart (540 or 740)

Maybe someone who knows better can clear it up, but AFAIK Vital is not actually a stylus a profile but Ogura's name they came up a long time ago for their rectangular shank diamonds (as opposed to round or square). I don't think Ogura produces anything resembling the ML profile (retippers would...
  6. muovimies

Broken cantilever on AT-OC9XML: opinion wanted on best AT replacement cart (540 or 740)

You could also try to get in touch with Audio-Technica, they have or at least used to have a trade-in scheme for MC carts with *worn out* styli that didn't cover damaged carts, but you never know, especially if that cart was quite new they might be willing to exchange it for a new one at a good...
  7. muovimies

Sumiko Premier MMT arm lift fluid

The descent being initially slow but getting faster with subsequent use does sound like it could use some more silicone fluid (though it's not really all that 'fluid' at the viscosity needed). In practice it might be very difficult or impossible to get the ~300-500k cSt fluid in there in a way...
  8. muovimies

2 cheap phono stages, a comparison

That's about the cheapest way you can build an MM preamp, with a single op-amp and the RIAA done in the feedback loop. Even a design like that can still sound pretty good, but you'd have to assume a cheap effort like that uses the absolute cheapest parts (like going for the ancient 4558 seems to...
  9. muovimies

Jelco SA-750E (10') : which cartridge to match with ?

Why do you think the Reson Etile is not a good match? I think it should work just fine in that tonearm, in fact at least compliance wise it should be a great fit.
  10. muovimies

Sony TTS-3000 / Decca London International tonearm question

I think (not 100% sure) that a Connoisseur SAU-2 tonearm uses a compatible headshell, those might be easier to find than original Decca headshells. But for all intents and purposes, if I were buying I would treat that tonearm as junk and IF it turns out it's just a headshell replacement away...
  11. muovimies

2 cheap phono stages, a comparison

The TC-750 is a very basic design but it can sound really good. In stock form it's held back by the PSU and parts quality. You can improve it significantly by changing the electrolytic input/output caps to pp, also RIAA caps, if I recall correctly mine came with ceramics. Cheap and easy way for...
  12. muovimies

My first TT: Kenwood KD500 w/ Sumiko Premier MMT

I've not taken the MMT lift apart, but the way those things usually work, if it doesn't stay up it's likely out of alignment/adjustment somehow, or some part is worn. There might be a set screw that determines how far the mechanism rotates in the "up" position before it stops. If it doesn't get...
  13. muovimies

Dual TT at goodwill

What model is it and yeah pics :) "Beat all to hell" is usually a very bad sign with turntables, though sometimes things can look worse than they actually are just from sitting in a dusty garage or something. A "noisy motor" in the best case could just mean it needs a few drops of oil or the...
  14. muovimies

Shou-Out to Joseph Long

You're right, got beryllium and boron mixed up but I could've sworn the original lower models of DL-30x series also had boron pipes, apparently shouldn't go by memory on these things, thanks for clearing that up :)
  15. muovimies

Wood body Grado cartridges ?

I'm not sure even a boron rod is lighter than a good aluminum pipe, though it might be stiffer? At least some old Ortofon MC which was available in both boron and aluminum cantilevered versions seemed to quote 0.05mg heavier effective tip mass for the boron rod version but maybe there were other...
  16. muovimies

Cartridge Recommendation for Dual 1009?

No experience with the 1009 but that tonearm looks almost identical to 1019, just without antiskate and I guess and different (possibly a bit heavier?) headshell end. So the arm should be low to medium low eff. mass with fairly good bearings and should be fine with most medium compliance carts...
  17. muovimies

Trashed 1219, any parts I should save?

There's a circlip on top of the platter holding it in place.
  18. muovimies

"Black diamond" nude elliptical for Pickering XLZ7500 (or Stanton 881/Pickering XSV) ?

This is what mrstylus.com say about their XSV series Swiss nudes - "Note: There are a number of replicas for the PICKERING XSV 3000 and from the geometry one would like to assume that every spare stylus type Pickering D 625 fits. Unfortunately this is not the case. The windings of the XSV 3000...
  19. muovimies

"Black diamond" nude elliptical for Pickering XLZ7500 (or Stanton 881/Pickering XSV) ?

Ok, that's good to hear. I've read that while the black diamond MI styli "work" in the mm bodies, ie. produce sound, because of differences in coil alignment or something, they don't work properly and have unacceptably poor channel separation.
  20. muovimies

https://mrstylus.com/en/product/pickering-xsv-4000/ there is this
  21. muovimies

So, as anyone who owns one of the better Stanton/Pickering MM models can probably agree, the stylus situation for those carts is pretty bad. Originals are hard to come by and usually stupid expensive. There's a Jico Shibata for the XUV-4500Q which I assume would ok in any Stanton/Pickering MM...
  22. muovimies

Going from MM (AT VM95ML) to MC (Denon DL-301MKII) - What can I expect?

Yeah it was the same for a long time in Europe as well, only 33EV was sold here, but these days 33PTG/II is also in the market. I guess they've been constantly offering it in some markets through the years though, but not sure about that. It's kinda interesting they have two completely...
  23. muovimies

Sota Pyxi with my Yamaha GT-2000

Audio-Technica makes nice headshells, the MG-10 is a long time favourite of mine, it's a magnesium one weighing 10g. They used to make a bunch of different ones from both magnesium and aluminum, many with similar adjustments to the AT-LH13 etc. I'm not sure if the MG-10 is still in production...
  24. muovimies

Help on fitting a Fidelity Research FR-24s on a Thorens td 147

Are you sure about the length, I'm not familiar with that exact model, but the I think the regular FR-24 is 230mm pivot to spindle (mounting distance) and 245mm eff. length. But even that is probably too long to fit without any mods? Not sure how long an arm the TD-160 etc. can take without...
  25. muovimies

Sota Pyxi with my Yamaha GT-2000

The AT-LH range of headshells has really tight spacing for the wires, I think really long carts might simply be a no go. It has an allen screw on the size you can loosen for azimuth/overhang adjustment. For installing carts it might be easiest to get the connector as far back as possible at...
Back
Top Bottom