Search results

1. J

Semi DIY turntable

Now that the TT has played for a while, I took it apart to work on the plinth. I wiped it down with B.L.O. That might have to do for a while. It has gotten to cold for me to want to spray lacquer. I'll do that next season. I do like how the oil made the grain pop out.
  2. J

Stylus mishap! Yikes!

I just did this the other day. My volume was not off, the sound was ugly. Stylus and record seem fine.
  3. J

Semi DIY turntable

Made some more progress. Everything is test mounted. I need to adjust one of the arm board mounting inserts. I also need to finish sand the plinth and seal it, oil it, clear coat it.... Haven't decided yet.
  4. J

Semi DIY turntable

Not much progress yet. I did use the laser to etch the outline onto the block. I kept going back and forth between what I ended up doing and making the plinth big enough to clear the read of the tonearm and use a hard cover. I decided to go small and will just use a soft cover to go over it when...
  5. J

Semi DIY turntable

If I had to do a complex shape or route some partial depths, that would work to do the templates and borrow a router. As it is, it's just round holes. The only one that is not drill bit sized is the circular cut out for the drive which is 295mm diameter. being perfect is not an issue as long as...
  6. J

Anyone using an AUDIOMODS SERIES SIX tonearm?

I got the bits in for my plinth. Rather than duplicate things here, I have another thread going that covers two TT projects I have going. https://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/semi-diy-turntable.903455/page-2#post-14181766
  7. J

Semi DIY turntable

The bits came in for my plinth. I decided to use a 1.5" Maple cutting board and some IsoAcoustic feet. The 1.5" Maple is too thick to cut cleanly on my laser, so I will use the laser to etch the pattern and cut it out with saws and drills. I'll also use the lasr to mark where the holes go for...
  8. J

Anyone using an AUDIOMODS SERIES SIX tonearm?

I got my Series 6 just over a week ago. I haven't made a real plinth for it yet, but I was anxious to give it a listen. I cut a quick plinth on my laser to match it up with the SP15 drive I have. Using the 239mm center to center distance specified for the 610 version, cartridge alignment was...
  9. J

SP-15 Plinth design

I also got the 10.5", I have a few hours on it now, still with the interim plinth. I am liking the way things sound, hoping it only gets better with a real ( or at least better ) plinth. I just bought a 1.5" Maple cutting block I'm going to fashion the plinth from. It will all sit on some...
  10. J

SP-15 Plinth design

Well, this thread is timely, I have an SP15 to go along with my Audiomods Series 6 tonearm. Right now I just have a plywood plinth I cut on my laser to see if I got the placement right, and to just listen to it. It actually does not sound bad to me. My two top contenders were to find a piece of...
  11. J

Semi DIY turntable

My Audiomods tonearm showed up, pleased with it. I drew up a plinth and cut a model on my laser out of a piece of ply to see how things looked. I was able to adjust the cartridge perfectly. So I'm playing a Cars LP as I type this. My plan was to make a plinth out of a cross cut hardwood. Now...
  12. J

Semi DIY turntable

So here I thought I would my linear TA done before the Audiomods I ordered would show up. I got the bits together to do my linear and mechanically it works as I expect. I got down to where I'm writing the code for the controller to run the tracking, problem has been finding the motivation to sit...
  13. J

Semi DIY turntable

Some more progress. I mounted the hall sensor to my gimbal with a small magnet on the tonearm. I was debating between using a small stepper motor or a DC motor to drive the arm. I have a box full of servos from my model aircraft, so I decided to modify one to be able to rotate continuously. I...
  14. J

Semi DIY turntable

I made a little progress on the driven version of my tonearm. I bought several samples of analog hall effect sensors, and picked one to use. I made a new part for the new gimbal to test it with. I'm able to detect very small movement. When I get further along I'll see if I can measure it, but...
  15. J

Semi DIY turntable

I have now let my SP-15 run for many hours, no issues, so it's a keeper and needs no repair. On the tonearm, I have tried several passive versions using various bearing setups. All put a strain on the cartridge and for me, required excessive tracing force. I think an air bearing might be...
  16. J

Semi DIY turntable

My SP-15 showed up today. Everything looks good. Platter seems nice and true. I'm letting spin endlessly to see if anything evil happens with time. I'm impressed with how fast it starts and stops. Display actually looks good, looks off in picture because of the flash. I'll see if it's still...
  17. J

Semi DIY turntable

This is becoming as bad a skis for me. As I'm working on my tonearm, I decided on another TT project, true DIY down to the drive. I've been looking at some brushless motors, also interested in trying to drive a 3 phase stepper like a synchronous motor, worried about noise. Right now I'm going...
  18. J

Semi DIY turntable

I have a first pass at the trolley done, things roll fairly well. These bearings I'm using have grease. When I get to actually trying the setup out, I will pull the shields and clean then out, that should help a bit. I dug though my bits of scrap metal and found a weight that works. With this...
  19. J

What would be the 'best' Sansui amplifier for sound quality?

It's been several years now since posting my 9090DB restore here on AK, and I still thoroughly enjoy listening to it when I turn it on. I have not heard any other models to compare to, but I'm happy with what I have. Mostly use it for LPs and my R2R deck.
  20. J

Semi DIY turntable

Just so happened my bearings and cartridge for the tonearm came in today.
  21. J

Semi DIY turntable

I made some first bits for my linear tracker. Hope to have time this weekend to get more done.
  22. J

Semi DIY turntable

As I have been looking at tonearms, I kept thinking about building my own. I looked at what other folks have been doing and I came up with two of my own variations of a linear tonearm that I want to try and build. One is passive, one is active. I'll start with the passive design and see how that...
  23. J

Semi DIY turntable

I thought I had found the Jelco 850 I wanted but ends up not. I mentioned a couple post ago I was also looking at some Technics EPA setups. Today as I was hunting around, I ran across the Audiomod Series 6. Seems to have favorable comments, how does it compare to the TK-850 I was looking at...
  24. J

Semi DIY turntable

It would be fun to try and restore, worst case, manual TT.
  25. J

Semi DIY turntable

Now I'm also eyeballing either an EPA-100 or EPA-B500 plus maybe an A250 or one of the 500 arms.
Back
Top Bottom