Search results

1. tommyinmeloz

G-8000 bias

When I use DBT (a 57w bulb), the G-8000 wouldn't output sound. the protection light flashed a while then went off, but power light not on. Don't know why. Changed to a 115w bulb the same thing.
  2. tommyinmeloz

G-8000 bias

The manual is wrong! PHEW, My G-8000 is working perfectly now! Hooooray! What I did: I decided to turn the trim pot about half way to see what has changed. Then I got 3.5mv. So I kept turning counter clockwise to increase the bias, then finally I got 16mv on both channels. Wow, what a relief...
  3. tommyinmeloz

G-8000 bias

Help Please! Got problem! First question: Shall I turn the trimmer pot VR03 anti-clockwise to get minimum bias according to the manual or the manual is wrong? since I got bias reading around 300 mv on both channel ! Details: I replaced 2 R17 & R20 resistors with new 150ohm resistors...
  4. tommyinmeloz

G-8000 bias

Kevin, you nailed it! YES, the R17 & R20 now seem to be the culprit. My measurement: R Channel on F-2806 board. R17 153 ohm R20 3K ohm :no: L Channel on F-2806 board. R17 1.46K ohm R20 0.934K ohm Gee, they look neither burned nor damaged. How could the resistance...
  5. tommyinmeloz

G-8000 bias

Thanks Kevin. I can feel you will be the first one to help. Just like you helped the OP. I will check and report back.
  6. tommyinmeloz

G-8000 bias

I may try clean the surface and spray the trimmer to see if anything change. However I believe more on it's something wrong on the circuit. Maybe a bad transistor?
  7. tommyinmeloz

G-8000 bias

Tonight I tried to adjust the DC offset and Bias on my newly acquired Sansui G-8000. DC offset has easily been adjusted to 0.5mv on each channel. But, when I tested Bias voltage on the tag board on each side, my reading is 0mv.:no: I tried turn the VR03 trimmer counter-clockwise...
  8. tommyinmeloz

Sansui Addiction....is it for life?

Actually my addiction for Sansui started from Pioneer. A wonderful Pioneer centrex tossed on road, picked and fixed by me. Oh a free ticket opening the door then I started riding with a no returning ticket. Now I'm obsessed with big Gs. Next probably will go for some Alpha. That's the life, you...
  9. tommyinmeloz

Done buying.... For now? :)

Yes, those big sansui Gs. That look pretty in your listening room. You gotta be quick to collect them. Also sounds better than x17 IMHO.
  10. tommyinmeloz

Sansui G-6000 burnt capacitor (in parallel with filter cap)

Wow, that's something I dream to do oneday, but not now, definitely not. With two little kids messing around, you can hardly sit down listening music, not to mention a fully recap project. :scratch2:
  11. tommyinmeloz

John, you made me nervous again. I'm going to sleep so will see how you gurus conclude from the symptom and the photos. I will open it check tomorrow. P.S. I remember before I started replacing the cap, I left the G-6000 unplugged for nearly 12 hours. As per Vigman's instruction, I...
  12. tommyinmeloz

As for the burnt cap, I did test it but forgot to take a photo. It looked burnt from one side at least in itself. ( From the opposite side of the photo I think.) I showed it to my wife (haha, i don't why either) so I think it ended up in the bin already.
  13. tommyinmeloz

Sorry for drifting away for a while, mainly cleaning the push switch buttons. Since I heard some random pop on left or right speakers but I don't think it's something to do with replacing the cap. I did take some photos before closing the case. So here you go. I know, i know...
  14. tommyinmeloz

Job done! So far so good! No Pop, no smoke, and sounds as good as before. Funny thing is the burnt cap tested OK! still 1uf. is it so called self healing capability? Thanks Vigman for your kind instruction. and Conrad as well.
  15. tommyinmeloz

Only concern is whether any other damage one the board but with my naked eyes I couldn't see any other burnt component. I got a soldering station so it should allow me to do it quickly. Really don't want to mess anything since it's working nicely now. However I will do my best to replace it...
  16. tommyinmeloz

oh yeah, I already bought a replacement one. So it looks like I can do it late this morning (1:20am now) while having my morning tea. Thanks for your encouraging.
  17. tommyinmeloz

BTW, what could cause the 1uf capacitor to burn? from the SM it connects to the 48V. will it indicate any other fault on the board? So far I can't tell from the sound. It really sounds good to me.
  18. tommyinmeloz

Recently acquired a nice Sansui G-6000. After blowing off the dust and deoxit all the push button and knob, the baby is singing! except two meter lamps went off after a couple hours listening. Now I'm only listening to the FM and already fell love with it. It sounds at least as good as my...
  19. tommyinmeloz

Once more Sansui transistor substitutions

just looking for substitution for my G-4700 transistors. great post and thanks a lot.
  20. tommyinmeloz

Sansui G-4700 left channel crackling and bias adjustment problem

Update: Last night I pull out the G -4700 and adjusted the bias to 1mv for both channels. Then the bias stablised. I switched to FM and listened for a while, the crackling seemed not there. Then I thought it might be a crack soldering somewhere so I reflowed the solding points on both preamp and...
  21. tommyinmeloz

BTW, If ignoring the noise, the receiver is working fine with playing Aux input or FM. Obviously the left channel sound a bit unclear due to the lower bias current. PS: this morning I tried to adjust the bias one left channel. If the voltage went up to around 4mV, it will keep going up. So I...
  22. tommyinmeloz

Hi guys, first of all, as a newbie I thank you all for the contribution to the forum which make me learn a great deal and have so much fun! I acquired a G-4700 and it is crackling on left channel. It's making noise like gust wind with loud pop from time to time. It's neither volume nor input...
  23. tommyinmeloz

Marantz 2270 high DC offset, help needed

can you guru tell how bad the sound I'm listening now as comparing to bringing DC offset to 0mv and Bias to 10mv.? Actually I reckon the music it produces is awesome.
  24. tommyinmeloz

My alligator clip are the way!that's the hard lesson learned hard. I still mange to repair the dead out transistors on the sansui G-4700. thanks for your reminding me though. i will check the bias once got the clip. BTW, i'm in Australia, so the series no might be a bit different from USA...
  25. tommyinmeloz

Thanks for you both legends. really quick and helpful reply. Now, at least, I can keep enjoying my 2270 while finding the R762... I just found this on the sticky <Marantz Service Manual error thread> 2270 SN<3901 Idle current or bias adjust: Meter set to read DC mV, connect from J753 to J754...
Back
Top Bottom