Search results

1. welcomdmat

Electronic Equipment

My musical interest has always been ambient/ drone/ late 70s progressive rock. Over the past few months, I have had a lot of time to kill. I have moved through equipment making music as I have at times moved through equipment producing music. I really like what I can do with what I have now...
  2. welcomdmat

Distortion at higher intensity music

This seems like a question I should be able to answer, but ... I am running a Technics 1200 (tone are rewire, heavier plater, fluid damped, etc). My cartridge is a Shure M97xE. I have the original stylus, the LP Gear Vivid line, and the Jico SAS. I have been cycling through all of them. I...
  3. welcomdmat

Marantz 2230 for Recording

I read a couple of threads on the in/out 1/4" jacks and rca plugs. If I was to run a musical instrument into the 1/4" dubbing in, could I then run a 1/4" plug out into a recording machine like the Tascam tape machines? I have come across electronics like the Apollo that work as an in-between...
  4. welcomdmat

McIntosh MC2100 Rebuild

I am looking to buy a rebuilt MC2100. I have found blue caps as a sign of work, but not all amplifiers have the same signs. Is there something I should watch out for as a sign of rebuild?
  5. welcomdmat

Basic Concerns I Guess

I have had all of my basic pieces rebuilt. After that I got a night job where my wife was asleep when I got home, I had a pair of Grado headphones rewired. My system is a 1200mk2 that has seen some attention and a Marantz 2230 that one of our members told me would be that best 2230 I would...
  6. welcomdmat

Marantz 2230 Power Button

Hello -- I have a 2230 that I listened to last night with headphones. This morning I took out the headphone plug and switched from remote to main speakers while the amplifier was off. When I then pushed the power button, it would not go in all of the way and wouldn't stay in place. All...
  7. welcomdmat

Banana Plugs and Older Pioneer Speakers

I found a couple of threads on banana plugs and how I need to flex them or push harder to insert them, but some of the older Pioneer speakers seem to have different speaker terminals. I have the white/ blue twist design on my speakers. They seem to only really like 16 gauge wire. I have made...
  8. welcomdmat

Speaker Connections

I know there must be 100 threads about this, but I am having difficulty finding them. I am looking to replace an older spring-style speaker (forgive my name knowledge, but it is the common base style) connection with a decent binding post. I purchased some 14 gauge wire that does not play well...
  9. welcomdmat

When are Klipschorn worth more than La Scala

I am working with a small space, and I have liked a variety of Klipsch speakers that I have heard -- mainly in larger spaces than I am working with. I am interested in Klipsch La Scala speakers. If I can afford them, when are the Klipschorn speakers a better choice? These would be used...
  10. welcomdmat

Record Changer in North Carolina

My wife has a co-worker that inherited a record changer from his grandmother. It is not working -- or not working well -- right now, and he would like to get it up to a serviceable level. Is there anyone close by that could get it into working order.
  11. welcomdmat

Main and Remote Speaker Switch

I feel this is a basic question, but I don't know the answer. Recently I've taken a job where I come home after 11pm, and I listen to music for an hour or so to relax. With the rest of my house asleep, I am using headphones. I am using these headphones with a 2230 receiver. What is the...
  12. welcomdmat

SP-10

I have owned a SL-1200 MK2 with all of the additions KAB can offer. I really love the mechanical perfection of the Technics turntable. Fortunately, money is not an issue for me. If I were to look at a 1200Mk2 with all of the things -- or an SP10 (as ancient as it is) -- which would be the...
  13. welcomdmat

An Old Thread as I have some money to spend

I am currently using a Shure M97xE with a Jico SAS Shibata stylus. I am using this on a KAB modified 1200 MK2. Do I have the best combination? If money is only a light object, where do you think I could best spend it?
  14. welcomdmat

Television System

I really enjoy two channel audio, but I don't know that much about home stereo/ movie audio. I am asking a question that has been answered many times, but I cannot find the thread I am looking for. I have a basic Sony 5.1 receiver that is showing signs of age. I have rewired the system three...
  15. welcomdmat

Birthday Haul

I wasn't sure where to post this, so I chose the turntable forum as they are all albums. My birthday was a lucky one as I got a couple of albums, and I wanted to share with the group. Amon Duul II's Yeti, Cluster's II and 71, and GodSpeed You! Black Emperor's Lift Your Skinny Fists Like...
  16. welcomdmat

North Carolina

I plan to take most of my audio equipment to the second floor of my house. My question is -- if I let everything dry completely, should I be alright to run electricity through it? I am in the Raleigh area, so it looks like there is a fair chance my house will flood. Even if I get flood...
  17. welcomdmat

Jensen speaker

One of my neighbors had a yard sale, and they had a single speaker. Instead of putting it out for trash, they gave it to me. Does anyone know what this speaker is? The speaker is 35x17x11.5 and weighs 35lbs
  18. welcomdmat

Mis-Drop of a Needle

Over the weekend, I did some bathroom cleaning. Odd start to a thread, but the skin on my fingers was very dry. I lifted the tonearm on my turntable to drop it, and the finger lift slid right off. There was nothing dramatic, and the speed was slow -- but is there anything that would be a red...
  19. welcomdmat

Theremini

I have the chance to play around with a Theremini theremin. Has anyone here spent time learning this instrument? I have watched a couple of YouTube videos. It seems like a really interesting instrument with a lot of possibilities.
  20. welcomdmat

Seiko SLA025

Has anyone here seen the Seiko SLA025? I know this is off topic, so I am posting it here. What would you sell to buy a watch?
  21. welcomdmat

Shure M97xE stylus

I took the plunge and traded for a Jico SAS stylus for my Shure M97xE. I was bouncing between the original stylus and the LP Gear VL stylus. I should explain a bit of my listening. I mainly listen to early electronic music (William Basinski, Neu, Harmonia, some Brian Eno). I would consider a...
  22. welcomdmat

WIS and Audio

I recently communicated with a great mind in our AudioKarma community. We were chatting about watches. The watch community has a term -- WIS -- an acronym for Watch Idiot Savant. The idea is that some folks can talk about the complexity of a watch with others that have some understanding...
  23. welcomdmat

The Marantz Bug

I had some intentions of reducing my audio investment. I sold off some more expensive gear and purchased a Marantz 2230. Well, I have since purchased a Marantz 2245. I am powering a very small area through efficient speakers. I looked at the 2270, but I didn't need the power. The 2245...
  24. welcomdmat

Pioneer CS-A700 v CS-R700

Hello -- I posted this earlier as a question on upgrading speakers, but I am not sure that the title was clear enough on what I was looking at, so I am re-posting rather than bumping. I have a pair of Pioneer CS-a700s that I have enjoyed for a few years. I tend to listen at pretty low volumes...
  25. welcomdmat

Marantz 2230 Signal Strength Meter

I have recently purchased a Marantz 2230, and I have been really pleased. The phono section gets at least 90% of my time, and it has not let me down. The tuner brings in stations clearly, but the signal strength meter does not seem to function the way it should -- well, it doesn't seem to...
Back
Top Bottom