Search results

1. F

Turntable Shipping Disaster: I want to Cry!

More than a few AK members have stated that they don't buy used turntables that need to be shipped. To me, this is very good advice. Meanwhile, I've read far too many horror stories when it comes to shipping damage (I've suffered several episodes of this myself with various "non audio"...
  2. F

HK 330c dead tuner

Might be a silly question; but are you sure that the "Function" selector switch is clean and working properly and that its knob is indexed correctly?
  3. F

Is my tech full of it?

Yep, the cost of a re-cap, though substantial, could be far less than if a cap shorts and takes out a bunch of other components (or worse).
  4. F

I got BURNED!

What kind of feed-back, if any, did this seller have? For me; no feed-back = no purchase (unless I can afford to eat the cost). Btw, not to side with the seller, but could it be that a conductive component (nut?) came loose during shipping and then shorted a capacitor or two?
  5. F

Denial (its not just a river in Egypt)

Yep, I do the same. Have a pair on my work bench, my office desk, in our kitchen junk drawer, and a pair in each vehicle. Now I'm thinking about getting a good pair of folding reader with a sturdy case just to keep in my pocket at all times (it's no fun when I realize that I don't have my...
  6. F

Tube components and switching wall outlets?

Or, flips it on and leaves it on for hours, or days, on end. Imo, this is just one reason why it isn't a good idea to use wall switches to operate anything other than lights and ceiling fans.
  7. F

Vintage Muntz HW-1A 4-track player / What speaker ohm?

If "worse comes to worse", just run 16 ohm...
  8. F

VAIC VALVE HIGH END Model 30 b

Yep, cut power cords, like missing tubes, almost always point to other serious issues. You'll want to look for blown fuses, burnt circuits and/or wires, leaking caps, and fried resistors before you power that thing up (and be sure to use a variac and/or dim-bulb tester when you do). Good luck...
  9. F

Late night nearfield listening,What speakers are you using??

KLH Model 17s powered with a Harman Kardon 330b. The sound and receiver lighting takes me back to 1972...
  10. F

Magnavox 9302 New Build

That's some clean workmanship! Just my kind of thinking.
  11. F

Sometimes, I hate being a good person...

It sure is. I'm often soured by certain (non-audio) forums that tolerate members who boast about breaking the law, or doing things that are unnecessarily dangerous. And it's not surprising that these same forums are full of fakers and trolls who get their kicks out of lying and starting arguments.
  12. F

Not sure how I got here but I like it.

I'm here and I'm liking it. Btw, of all the stereo gear I've had during the last 20 years, my wife has only twice mentioned that she "likes the way that system sounds" and both were tubes. Not once has she said the same for any of my (not her) solid state gear (that I remember).
  13. F

I think this was/is more about keeping people from emptying your trash/recycles bins into the street, picking out the "good stuff", and leaving what they dumped out laying in the street. This evidently got to be a real problem in some areas where I lived.
  14. F

Hope for Tubes Magnavox Console, Nope!

OK. Thank you Orthophonic. That's certainly good news! And yes, AM isn't what it used to be. A decade a go I could still find a few good music based AM stations (mostly easy listening "oldies but goodies" stuff). Now days AM is nothing but infomercials and "sports or political talk" radio...
  15. F

Was this console sitting in front of house or business? If so, some counties and cities do not allow unauthorized people to remove such items. This is done to combat "junk" collectors that go through people's donation items and trash/recycle bins (these unauthorized trash/recycle/donation...
  16. F

What speakers do you listen to with your tube amp?

My Monacor 8 watt or so 6BQ5 SET stereo sounds pretty good to me while powering 96 db BIC FH-65B bookshelf speakers. Definitely a low end setup, but I like it.
  17. F

West germany kuba stereo wiring?

Here's a link that might lead you to an AK member that can help: http://audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=377665& And here's a link with some general info on your stereo: http://www.radiomuseum.org/r/kuba_serenade_2.html Meanwhile, you've got a cool looking project going on there!
  18. F

Sherwood S8000 III Leave it alone Thread

Leaky capacitor most likely. Sure is a sharp system you've got there. Better hang on to that one...
  19. F

Ya, pre-CL for sure. My friend picked up his consoles for free while clearing out a garage for someone (I had a couple of friends back then that worked weekends hauling junk to the dump for people as side jobs). The "console friend" ended up with a garage and backyard full of everything you can...
  20. F

Thanks for the info Larry! I searched far and wide but couldn't find much on this particular Zenith. Noticed that other second hand owners had no luck either. Tried tracing the speaker codes, but none of them made any sense. A floor shaker it's not, but it is plenty loud enough for the small...
  21. F

Ah yes... Tubes. Tubes can be addictive in a very pleasant way. Swore I'd keep my little tube gear collection down to the HK and a Monacor 6BQ5 SET stereo receiver I recently bought. Not sure if I'm going to be able to stick to that promise tho. Might have to part with some of my vintage...
  22. F

Try searching " Vintage Zenith Solid State Console Stereo & Speakers ebay " and then scroll up to the top of the page to see the photo. Otherwise, I plan on posting photos of this console, and my tube and vintage solid state gear, in the near future. I've been interested in getting a TT...
  23. F

Not to HK your excellent thread, but my wife recently found a near mint Zenith (model J900P3) SS console at a local thrift with a $29 "as is" tag on it. She was interested in it because it "looked like furniture" and because her late father had a console that he loved (I too hoped that it'd be a...
  24. F

Yes it does. Back in the mid/late '80s (when my wife and I lived in Concord) we thought about moving to Livermore. Housing was less expensive than Concord, and the city seemed to have a lot to offer (gorgeous Lake Del Valle was near by). But then there was the commute (we both worked in...
  25. F

How are vintage KLH speakers?

I have a pair of 17s that sound pretty darn good while connected to a Harman Kardon 330b. This moderately powered system sounds so good that I haven't opened the speakers up yet! So, I have no idea if they've ever been recapped (I'll be sure to have a set of replacement caps, and both speaker...
Back
Top Bottom