Search results

1. BillyBatts

Today's JAZZ playlist

Up at 5:00 AM as usual. Coffee and; BLUES BEFORE SUNRISE with Steve Cushing @ WDCB Chicago The best live DJ hosted Jazz and Blues show I have found . 1 AM - 6 AM Eastern every Saturday night, early Sunday morning. Catching the last hour here. I recorded the previous four hours. Mostly...
  2. BillyBatts

Today's JAZZ playlist

I remembered exactly at 6 PM. I was listening to a Cajun music show on BluegrassCountry radio that ended at 6 and got thinking of what I could stream that was NOT Latin Jazz. Most Jazz stations dedicate Saturday night to Latin Jazz. Then it hit me, ESSENCE OF JAZZ on WGMC. I tuned in just as...
  3. BillyBatts

Today's JAZZ playlist

OUCH! I broke my big toe in a bad way about 8 years ago and I learned quickly how important your big toe is when walking. Hope it heals quickly and well. At least you have a comfy spot to listen, with a nice Yamaha Natural Sound receiver to keep you company. :thumbsup:
  4. BillyBatts

Today's JAZZ playlist

WGMC Rochester and "Essence of Jazz" with Will Moyle. Classic Jazz interviews and music from the 1970s (mostly). This week, Moyle interviews Eubie Blake. I think I have heard this one before. I probably have it recorded, but I can't remember, so my ears are peeled. Excellent as usual.
  5. BillyBatts

Today's JAZZ playlist

Very similar time era my friend. I can say that I was happy to go off to college and get out of that band. I think they broke up shortly after I left. I was 17 as well when I joined the band and started playing dive bars. Turned 18 about four months after I started playing with them. I saw...
  6. BillyBatts

Today's JAZZ playlist

Interesting. Thanks for sharing that, Wolf. It got me thinking about something I have not thought about in a very long time. I was a keyboard player (as a Senior in High School) in a Rock/Jazz band. We had one professional musician (guitar) and the rest of us were definitely amateur...
  7. BillyBatts

Today's JAZZ playlist

I hear that. I have tried everything over the years, espeically when I was flying through multiple time zones. Basic Melatonin helps, but the new LAYERED Melatonin (or sleep aid - some may forego the melatonin) is really the ticket, at least for me. It kicks in fast with a quick-release...
  8. BillyBatts

Today's JAZZ playlist

Good morning Erik. I threw in the towel last night, and got some help via over-the-counter sleep aids. I woke up at 1:30 AM after passing out around 9:30 PM. Nature's call as usual woke me up. I laid around in bed until 2:20 AM and finally took a Melatonin an a Sleeping Pill. Slept again...
  9. BillyBatts

Today's JAZZ playlist

I have a copy of this, albeit not in the fine shape yours is in. I found mine at a curio shop in a tiny town in Kentucky for a buck. The jacket is in poor condition, but the vinyl is fair to good. Johnny Carson once had Pete Fountain and Dizzy Gilespie on together back to back on his show...
  10. BillyBatts

Today's JAZZ playlist

WUCF Orlando and Weekend Jazz Extravaganza with Alan Rock. Mr. What-A-Hoot himself. His corny jokes always make me cringe, and his trivia questions always stump me. WUCF does not do news breaks on the weekends, so I can tolerate listening.
  11. BillyBatts

Today's JAZZ playlist

Corn don't grow at all on Rocky Top The ground's too rocky by far That's why all them folks on Rocky Top Drink their corn from a Jar I've used this as a toast at Bourbon tastings. ;) "Rocky Top" was a breakout hit during Christmas of 1968 for the Osborne Brothers. Bobby Osborne's high tenor...
  12. BillyBatts

Today's JAZZ playlist

That's interesting, Steve. Yes, you never know. One of the best Bluegrass shows on the air (IMO) is from Sydney, Austrailia. The host, Mike Kear, is a HUGE Bluegrass fan, and started the show 20 or so years ago because, obiously, in Austrailia, you aren't going to get much Bluegrass, if ANY...
  13. BillyBatts

Today's JAZZ playlist

Thank you Christian, that's a great tip that is now in my Music Notes book. I started keeping notes on musical information about 3 years ago because I was hearing some great things and tips, but the brain was forgetting them faster than I could remember. You never know where you are going to...
  14. BillyBatts

Today's JAZZ playlist

Nice, Lee. I am here to say that the PC you just built is a bonified MONSTER of a MACHINE! Yikes. In 1969, they could have Flight-Directed the entire Apollo Space Program from that monster. Nicely done, sir.
  15. BillyBatts

Today's JAZZ playlist

Yes, Gospel is sometimes woven into Bluegrass, but not all the time. I really like rip-snortin' hard core jammin' Bluegrass. Like I hear at Bluegrass festivals. I went to a Bluegrass festival last fall and was truly amazed at the talent. But the crowd there was really lovely. I felt at...
  16. BillyBatts

Today's JAZZ playlist

Those bolded words gave me a chuckle, Todd. Well done. :biggrin:
  17. BillyBatts

Today's JAZZ playlist

Sounds like fun, Todd. With age comes lack of crowd and traffic patience with me. Probably because I spent most of my working career battling heavy traffic and large crowds on Fridays and weekends and holidays. So these days, I never travel (unless there is no other option) on Friday through...
  18. BillyBatts

Today's JAZZ playlist

My favorite Bluegrass station by far is Bluegrasscountry.org (WAMU HD2 Washington DC). Great hosts, awesome shows. SCHEDULE Their few "Country" shows are very old time Country from the 30s, 40s, and 50s. Their playlist is mostly Bluegrass and Americana. There is even a host on Saturday...
  19. BillyBatts

Today's JAZZ playlist

We could be twins. I follow that same path with Jazz in the morning, then movies in the evening after chores in the late morning early afternoon, unless there is a Jazz or Bluegrass show on in the late afternoon/evening that I simply must hear live. But usually, I just record it via TuneIn...
  20. BillyBatts

Today's JAZZ playlist

'Mornin' Gents. I would stream my usual WUCF Orlando and Bob Kelly's Morning Jazz, but I can't deal with the news breaks at the top of every hour any longer, so that show is unfortunately off of my list. KCSM Frisco at present, and probably KSDS San Diego in an hour or two. I have not...
  21. BillyBatts

Today's JAZZ playlist

Sweets - When Lights Are Low
  22. BillyBatts

Today's JAZZ playlist

High temp here today 62 and breezy, hitting that high around 1 PM, so any excuse to procrastinate heading out on the bike. A few Jazz albums in the mean time. Out in the cabin (Sunroom); Johnny Hodges - The Smooth One
  23. BillyBatts

Today's JAZZ playlist

WUCF and coffee. Bob Kelly's Morning Jazz Show.
  24. BillyBatts

Today's JAZZ playlist

Sorry to double post on this, Erik. Your coyotee post made me think of this. About 15 years ago when I was really into Ironman competition, I was obsessed with training, regardless of where I was. I was in New Mexico on a fly fishing trip on the San Juan river. Me and two fly fishing buddies...
  25. BillyBatts

Today's JAZZ playlist

I really have issues with News Breaks on Jazz stations, Erik. WUCF and WDCB would be my top two Jazz stations, BUT, they do hourly news breaks during the week at the top of every hour from 7 AM through 6 PM, so I really can't listen during those hours. I end up all riled up by the news breaks...
Back
Top Bottom