Search results

1. J

AU-7900 Speakers cutting in and out

Any recommendation on how to fix the sockets? Today I opened it up and cleaned all the switches and sockets, but I still have the issue, although it's easier to fix by jiggling the cable. I'll be doing more testing tomorrow when my daughter isn't being noisy
  2. J

I can sometimes get the sound to come back in when moving the RCAs. I've tried tightening the pins. Do they need to be replaced or just well cleaned?
  3. J

How do I tell if it goes into protection? No distortion while it's working. Just crackling when the sound cuts out or gets quieter. I should note that sometimes one channel (not consistent which one) will cut out--i.e., it's not always both channels. I need to buy more contact cleaner and I'll...
  4. J

I'm running a Sansui SR-838 and a TU-7900 through an AU-7900 and having some issues with speakers cutting out. I can sometimes fix it by jiggling the RCA connectors on the back of the amp or tapping on the turntable. It happens with all sources, but of course tapping on the turntable on works...
  5. J

Broken stylus. Need replacement help for Sansui 838.

I'm running a Sansui SR-838 into a AU-7900 with EPI A120 speakers. I currently have a Grado Red on there, but a couple days ago I went to play a record and the cantilever was bent so that it wouldn't work. I don't even want to think about how that happened, but it broke when I tried to fix it...
  6. J

You're right. I posted here since I wanted advice specific to my Sansui gear, but the TT forum would be better. Thanks!
  7. J

I'm running a Sansui SR-838 into a AU-7900 with EPI A120 speakers. I currently have a Grado Red on there, but a couple days ago I went to play a record and the cantilever was bent so that it wouldn't work. I don't even want to think about how that happened, but it broke when I tried to fix it...
  8. J

Bad refoam?

So far so good. No problems with the new surrounds, but I definitely feel like they'll sound even better with some more break-in time. Thanks for the help everyone.
  9. J

Bad refoam?

My new surrounds arrived yesterday. Hopefully I can get to them tonight and have a day of listening tomorrow.
  10. J

Bad refoam?

loose ends, Rick Cobb is precisely who I ordered the new surrounds from. For some reason I didn't see his name in all the research I did the first time around. Azriel, there is scraping depending on how I push on them, but it seems to be scrape free when I push with even pressure.
  11. J

Bad refoam?

baco, I probably put 50 hours on them. I feel like I should see some improvement at that point, but I've never re-foamed speakers before so that is me assuming things.
  12. J

Bad refoam?

The spiders look fine as far as I can tell. I've ordered new foam--from a different supplier--and I'm hoping that will help. Could I have done irreversible damage if the voice coil was rubbing for a week? If this new foam doesn't work I might just have to order new woofers from Human...
  13. J

Bad refoam?

I re-foamed my EPI A120s last week, and, if it can be believed, the bass sounds worse than before. It sounds growly, overly compressed, and almost gated as it has a sudden decay. It seems to be getting worse as time passes, but I could have initially been in denial that they wouldn't sound...
  14. J

EPI A120 Refoam and Recap

I've had a few days to get used to the speakers and have some questions: Can you have minimal voice coil rub? The bass has more growl than it did before, but definitely isn't the horrible sound that many associate with voice coil rub. I used the 30hz signal to center the speaker. The left...
  15. J

Well, it's done. I recapped with the Clarity PX and the Simply Speakers refoam kit. I was a little worried that I hadn't centered the voice coil on one speaker, but it seems fine. I haven't pushed the speakers to higher volumes, however. I didn't use a bypass cap because I didn't have them...
  16. J

Well, I ordered the Clarity PX caps and the Simply Speakers refoam kit. I'm still debating picking up the Dayton bypass caps from Parts Express as I was already planning on ordering spikes from there for the speaker stands I'll be building next weekend. Would the Dayton 0.01uf be a good match...
  17. J

Also, is there a real difference between the foam kits? I'd go for the cheaper one without shims, but it sounds like they're made out of a different material. They'll probably last longer, but I'm more worried about them sounding good.
  18. J

Thanks jpcii. I don't know a lot about improvising with electronics; where would I put the bypass cap? Also, should I get one of the same brand/type as the 10uf cap? Here's the crossover schematic from Human Speakers that I'm working from: http://www.humanspeakers.com/e/epi-a120.htm
  19. J

This is my first post here, though I've already learned a lot searching the forums. I recently picked up a pair of EPI a120s and want to refoam and recap them. The foam is definitely on its way out--although they currently sound great--and I figure I might as well recap while I'm in there as...
Back
Top Bottom