Search results

1. rottalpha

Calling All Yamahas. Time to Post Your Pics

Proper use for Yamaha B-1s five sets of speakers option :biggrin: :rockon:
  2. rottalpha

Show Us Your Sonys!!!

thank you! go and see the last video I just uploaded :)
  3. rottalpha

Show Us Your Sonys!!!

there it is....but Warning! it is a long one. Skip the first 15 minutes if you want to get past my rants...
  4. rottalpha

Yamaha B2 - the "why" and the "how" of a comprehensive rebuild

Your amp works fine. Leave as is. Watch the video about testing vfets and it would make more sense (albeit the video is about b3 vfets)
  5. rottalpha

MX1000 bad day

:whip:
  6. rottalpha

MX1000 bad day

True, would be the same, but in this case where there’s no voltage drop across those resistors, we have to establish that there is some voltage to ground potential at either end, then figure out: A, are both resistors in both channels fried? Or the corresponding paralleled emitter resistors? B...
  7. rottalpha

MX1000 bad day

Vfet and in the B1 especially is best of both worlds as in a solid state triode. Too bad is no longer made. B1 has a very special circuit indeed. The phase of the signal is split between what are essentially two single ended amps….. but we are diverging from this topic an the OP will curse us out
  8. rottalpha

MX1000 bad day

And, did you replace those trimpots? If yes, did you use multi-turn?
  9. rottalpha

MX1000 bad day

Also, is it two meters with same set of leads, that you tried?
  10. rottalpha

MX1000 bad day

Hmm, Do you get any reading on that meter on any side of either of those resistors, reference to ground?
  11. rottalpha

MX1000 bad day

That is likely because you never heard one of these new or working properly :biggrin: Sorry she’s naked but just happened to be on the bench tonight
  12. rottalpha

MX1000 bad day

Yep, one of my favorite amps still. It is unforgivingly honest, but when matched correctly into the system, provides a delightful experience.
  13. rottalpha

MX1000 bad day

so you mean I need to pull the schematic out? Maybe Dave can chime in since he knows it by hearth. BUT, at a high level (and I do not mean to patronize) bias voltage is the voltage drop across a resistor to assess the idle current of that circuit. My guess is that you might be measuring...
  14. rottalpha

Incoming B-6...Might be a basket case...will need Avionics help for sure !!! FIXED,sorta !!!

If you heard static first, I doubt the problem was with the speaker cables. I could be wrong, but if this was my amp I would investigate root cause a bit more.
  15. rottalpha

MX1000 bad day

She looks good
  16. rottalpha

MX1000 bad day

I think someone told you earlier in the thread (post#19) that this type of damage is not contained just to one board ;)
  17. rottalpha

Sick Yamaha B-1 Just came in, what road to recovery should I take?

“ black gate “ resistors?
  18. rottalpha

Calling All Yamahas. Time to Post Your Pics

No beryllium, so average speakers then :biggrin:
  19. rottalpha

Week? What? Five minutes at full power, then straight to the living room…. It will be burning-in there giving something back for that electricity is “burning-in”
  20. rottalpha

Yamaha B2 Adjusting idling current

82v? You meant to say 85v?
  21. rottalpha

And if for some reason they would fail (because they are 50years old) then the consequence would be that the speaker relay won't turn on and / or the UC1 vumeter won't work. In the broader spectrum of amp functions, likely one of the least important boards. Moving forward to the other boards...
  22. rottalpha

I do not see your 25v??? WTF :biggrin:
  23. rottalpha

Sony TAN 5550 caps in signal path?

maybe your ears are not used with that much detail :biggrin: The 5550 is very much a DC amp (if you bypass the input coupling cap)....BUT no class B amp it truly DC hence the main filter caps are actually part of the signal path. Yes not obvious but that's actually the case. Topic for a...
Back
Top Bottom