Search results

1. Bone Yard

Akai UC-F3 Cassette deck Belt

Cool deck, did you get any of the components? Let us know how hard it is to swap that Out, I have to do it to my UC-M2 one of these days. I accidently got mine when ordering another mini-system from Japan, the seller felt so bad he let me keep it and sent the right equipment no charge. I've...
  2. Bone Yard

Mini CDs

I think the mini-CD LP movement is still big in Japan with special releases in limited quantities. I've never seen one up close but it sounds like a fun hobby still going strong. This is a fun read about Japanese LP Releases and there's some info on the mini CD LPs. Check out the Scorpions...
  3. Bone Yard

Can Someone Please Explain the Technics 2024 Lineup?

The Japanese have always had model numbers with extra numbers and letters added on the end usually indicating options like voltage, country, color, radio bands and much more. I think we see it more in the boombox world where units were dialed in to different countries around the world. I don't...
  4. Bone Yard

Teac Reel Deck advice needed

I've never found any reels over 7" locally. Hundreds of prerecorded, recorded and NOS tapes used to be everywhere and I still find small 7" piles every once in a while. Other than that the deck is a huge step up in looks and totally worth it on that alone. If your an active listener, I'd...
  5. Bone Yard

Matching feet for 70’s Sony receiver

I've been wanting to make the jump into molding rubber/plastic parts for missing units, there's a ton of videos on YouTube showing the process.
  6. Bone Yard

No Mitsubishi reciever interest? DA-R35?

Looks like a great little 80's reciever. Mitsubishi just had a very small footprint back then and it's name didn't help with buyer's especially up in the Midwest where the Big 3 ruled. My professional DJ buddy had Mitsubishi in the early 80's and he swears by it, said the equipment just kept...
  7. Bone Yard

Onkyo A7 little bass on right side

Beautiful amp especially with the matching tuner. Mine had similar issues but a good DeOxit on all the switches and knobs made it sing like crazy. I don't know your experience level but I normally expect to clean the function selector switch on anything that comes in, first. It is normally...
  8. Bone Yard

Rare, really rare Curtis Mathes 3/4 size receiver

I have a Curtis Mathis Boombox, they tend to be very rare as well. Mine also looks mint, it was probably owned by older folks, they tended to be the demographics for the brand. I think Sanyo made the boombox and they did put on some added trim to spice it up, you might want to run the photo...
  9. Bone Yard

1980s First Generation Compact Discs - Do They Sound Good or Not?

Since there's no clairification on the chart, you can read it any way you want which unfortunately means four different people are going to read it four different ways............
  10. Bone Yard

Cleaning Records

I do a few different methods depending on how much time I have. 1. Vevor for that ultra-clean 2. Mikata Cordless Hand Blower for the ones with lots of dirt and fuzzies or moisture 3. Discwasher velvet brush, cuz who didn't love watching older people do this back in the 70's 4. Zerostat...
  11. Bone Yard

I'm just seeing that chart and I'm calling BS, I just spent a couple hours looking through early 70's issues of Billboard, 8-track was on it's way out by 73 when the automakers started going towards the compact cassette. What mainstream manufacturer was making 8-track equipment after that...
  12. Bone Yard

Worth of Pioneer SA-400

I really like that little set, it's almost a mini-statement piece now but I remember the old days when Japanese Tube Equipment went for nothing (at least according to AK), I'm kicking myself for not picking up a few sets over the years.
  13. Bone Yard

Panasonic rs-838s manual?

Good luck, I don't see any in my sources. Neat portable, I have that one or one very close, it took awhile to change the belts, you have to remove a million screws but it was doable. Make sure you clean all the sliding metal surfaces and re-lube them.
  14. Bone Yard

2 Sony CD-IT: Are any of them dangerous?

I forgot about that long thread over on Tape Heads, it's a cheap tape, great for display but I wouldn't take a chance with it. Back when I was a tape tech I used to do head wear studies based on manufacturer's specs, mostly 3M but they might have been co-opting with one of the Japanese Brands...
  15. Bone Yard

Los Angeles based music. What’s your favorites???

The only band that was bigger than the Beatles
  16. Bone Yard

LP protectant from 1978?

kwayde, there was a product I've seen ads for, it was in a bottle with a flat soft top, it was rubbed on the entire surface and left to dry. After it dried it was lifted off, like the glue method that was popular on here a few years ago. The ads were from the mid-70's. I've never used or seen...
  17. Bone Yard

Los Angeles based music. What’s your favorites???

Since the Jerks were already mentioned, I'm going with the loudest baddest MoFo's out there, yea they had to wait for the singer to get out of jail to cut the album!
  18. Bone Yard

Engraved serial number on sansui faceplate?

A ton of old equipment had serial numbers hand written on them, you could buy the pen at Radio Shack. I think in the USA the insurance companies required it for reimbursement if it got stolen and it was a way to identify it back when they used to bag the crooks. You could also go to the local...
  19. Bone Yard

As a young kid all I remember is that CD's were expensive and the factories were backed up until the early 90's. It seemed like classical was cranked out like crazy along with some really crappy 70's reissues they must have licensed for free. One of my first CDs was Metallica's Black Album...
  20. Bone Yard

2 Sony CD-IT: Are any of them dangerous?

Believe it or not, a lot of medical products are made across the border then shipped over here. I used to sell equipment to our medical manufacturers twenty years ago and they all had a sister plant in Tijauna. They could build it there for much less then here and drive it over to San Diego...
  21. Bone Yard

Retail (vintage/high end) Audio, secret handshake or something?

In the old days the salesguys were on you like EVH on a solo, even as kids in a car audio shop, they'd at least ask if we were buying anything. Stereo salesguys were always a little cooler and they knew the "secrets" of the audio gear, come here kid, let me show you this button. Record stores...
  22. Bone Yard

Retail (vintage/high end) Audio, secret handshake or something?

I get it, and also at record stores. I put it down as some of these, mostly guys, have zero personalities, some act offended if you ask any questions. The best shops in town, you can walk in, the people light up and conversations will flow like wine. The newest gear, the lastest vintage...
  23. Bone Yard

Learning schematics

You'll love this page, it's over 2500 books on electronics, the search engine sucks on this site, going through google can be easier but they have millions of prints. Some books need membership to be checked out, I highly recommend it. Some books are downloadable, they disappear sometimes so...
  24. Bone Yard

Cranking up Friday with Marantz Unobtainium Goodness

Wow, only five years ago? Seems like yesterday.... Some cool Marantz of Japan Stuff, UNIX was a brand name from Marantz, supposedly sold shortly after for silly money to ATT for their new computer gear. This is one of Marantz's Smallest Boomboxes, there is a smaller stereo microcassette...
Back
Top Bottom