Search results

1. David_NC

Would you buy any Alpine Luxman?

Congrats on what sounds like a nice Luxman! When I cleaned my 115's volume control, I removed the shaft knob and pulled the control out, as I recall. It was much easier to clean that way. The balance control was a bit funky too, as was the CD Direct switch, and Deoxit took care of them. Pay...
  2. David_NC

Speakers for a Kenwood KA 2002A?

I use a pair of ADS L520's with my low powered tube equipment - Pioneer ER-420 receiver (15 watts) and Harman Kardon A230 (15 watts) and A300 (12 watts) integrated amplifiers. These speakers are quite efficient - 92dB - and will play as loudly as I want with low watts. We used them for a party...
  3. David_NC

Southern California AK 2022 / 2023 Meet-up Info & RSVP

Let's try that combo when rescheduled.
  4. David_NC

Months ago, I mentioned having some Electro-Voice drivers in open baffle configuration. There was some interest in them then, but I don't see that those who expressed interest have been online recently. I'll be happy to bring them, if there's any interest.
  5. David_NC

I don't recall if this was discussed... are we doing a swap / sale table this time?
  6. David_NC

I have a restored ST70 but have never heard a 35 or a Dynaco tube pre. I'd definitely enjoy hearing them. I also have a restored Sherwood S-5000II if there's any interest in it, too.
  7. David_NC

Yup! After seeing trim rings vibrate off can lights in a friend's basement while demoing, I am pretty confident in it. Powered with 900 watts RMS, it's pretty effortless, too. It'll be a good example of what one can get from a home-built sub vs one purchased. So, bring whatever bass heavy...
  8. David_NC

I also have it on SACD and LP, which I can bring. Both are excellent, but quite a few have preferred the LP. It'll be interesting to compare the DSD version to them. Also, if anyone has favorites with LOTS of deep bass, bring 'em; I'm planning on bringing a sub that will handle it. It's...
  9. David_NC

Who in the Audio MFG World has given you the time?

Parasound was very helpful when I contacted them about an amp that had been out of production for quite a few years and was purchased used. I can't recall if I emailed or called first, but it was nice dealing with people who could give correct answers the first time and seemed to genuinely want...
  10. David_NC

Nov 18th works for me.
  11. David_NC

Nov 11th and 18th work for me, and I'll be happy to assist. I have the subwoofer I put together about two years ago that I'd like to bring, along with a power amp and crossover for it. I also have a pair of basic open-baffle speakers with EV drivers I can bring, if there is still interest in...
  12. David_NC

I'd like to be part of this. I'm good any but the last weekend in Oct and the first and second weekends in Nov. I hope this works out! Thanks.
  13. David_NC

Preamp to use with Dynaco ST-70?

I use a Mac C-31V SS preamp with my ST-70. I think it's a great pairing, and I love that the C-31 has a remote.
  14. David_NC

Recommend a good bench-top isolation transformer

I have two hospital grade Tripp-Lite isolation transformers. One looks like this: And the other is a smaller model but looks similar. As @gadget73 said, confirm the wiring. This is easy to do with a multi-meter. I had to remove a ground to neutral connection on both of them. Now, they...
  15. David_NC

You have my interest.
  16. David_NC

Stepping out of my repair comfort zone.

We had Selectric II's and some crappy Royals when I took typing in high school. I tended to arrive right before class started, so I often ended up using one of the Royals instead of the IBM, unfortunately. I typed much faster on the Selectrics, so we all waited to use them when we were tested...
  17. David_NC

Dual 1219

Because it's hard to find on that site, a Google site search brings it up. Here's a link to it: https://www.shapeways.com/product/QMEJ4LHNB/dual-dearing-ring-lift-support-234-649-dc. This is the part that Dulcan / Klaus uses.
  18. David_NC

What type of device do you access AK with

I use Windows and Mac desktops about 90% of the time. The remaining 10% is split between a laptop and iPhone. Handheld devices are handy, but I like a fast PC with a big monitor or two!
  19. David_NC

Anyone done a DIY Solar Pool Pump / Heater?

When I was doing a bit of research on this, there were quite a few suggestions of using solar PV panels and a heat pump for the pool. I'm not sure what the actual numbers were, but the responders stated that running the HP on electricity from solar was more practical than heating the water...
  20. David_NC

Marantz 1060 advice

I rebuilt the power supply in my 1060 and replaced the three big caps. The only other work I did was to clean the controls. My 1060 does not sound anemic, considering it's a 30 WPC amp, and the background is very quiet with no hum or hiss. I went with 'if it ain't broke' and added 'and still...
  21. David_NC

Dual 1219

Agreed. Klaus / Dulcan rebuilt my 1219 about 4 years ago. When I say rebuilt, I mean he disassembled it completely, cleaned and checked tolerances of parts, lubed, and reassembled. I have hundreds of pics of each step. Afterwards, he tests the 'table to make sure it is meeting or exceeding...
  22. David_NC

Ice chests/coolers

I was in the same situation but went a different route. I bought a 42 qt portable refrigerator (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09T985DXP/). It was on sale for $30 off and had great reviews. I've used it multiple times camping, both in cool weather and in 100+ desert temps. I can run it...
  23. David_NC

When using subwoofers….?

I have better luck with the second scenario and use it when possible. In my garage system, ADS L880/2's cross over to a RBH 12" sub. I have the crossover set at around 50Hz, and it sounds great. When I used the sub with the mains running full range, bass was a bit heavy; it's much easier to...
  24. David_NC

Pharmaceutical Shortage

I had shingles years ago and was prescribed Oxy for the pain. The thing was, it really didn't help much after the first day. What did help was a bit of THC (no gummies available then and there) and 1/2 of an Oxy. I remembered reading that THC helped with nerve pain from neuropathy, so perhaps...
  25. David_NC

Swimming Pool???

A friend has an fiberglass in-ground that's at least 20-25 years old. They've had pump issues a couple times, but each time was an easy swap-out kind of repair. They even had it lifted and turned 90° to allow building a garage. Overall, it seemed pretty easy to maintain, and they had no...
Back
Top Bottom