Search results

1. spence0nasty

Pioneer SA-8500 Recap/Rebuild/Restoration/BOM

To debug further I sent a 1kHz test tone into the AUX inputs and was able to trace the signal thru to the power amp (AWH-042) where I found a problem. The right channel has signal coming out of three pins -- 9, 15, and 16. The left channel outputs nothing from the power amp assembly. I took...
  2. spence0nasty

I began measuring voltages on the switch assembly and I'm starting to feel out of my comfort zone here so hopefully some people smarter than me can chime in... Now that I have the bottom off I can clearly hear the relay clicking periodically, that must be the pop that's making it into the left...
  3. spence0nasty

CT-F9191 Restoration - No FF/REW and Other Transport Problems

Replacement of the roller switches was a success, much smoother operation now than before! I'd say the deck is back to 99% now, anything else I decide to do to it is just for fun or just being nit-picky. Jury's still out on the test tape, I may try to deoxit the VU meters first as per Mark's...
  4. spence0nasty

Mark, another possibility is that the left channel's output is actually just a bit weaker. Couldn't that happen just due to component drift over 45 years of life? If that's the case wouldn't I need a test tape to be able to determine that?
  5. spence0nasty

Mark, are you talking about the same switches from your earlier post (#4) of this thread? I've already cleaned them with deoxit but it sounds like that's not good enough? More history: When I got the deck originally the left VU meter wouldn't move at all. It had been sitting unused for so long...
  6. spence0nasty

Okay, it's been 2 years and I'm reviving this thread. I've made zero progress since June 2018. I moved to a new house that summer and this project ended up on the shelf until now. I've got more free time since I'm always at home due to COVID so I'm catching up with all my restoration projects...
  7. spence0nasty

Now that I've been using this thing for a couple of weeks I think my initial concern about the capstan not starting up might've been correct after all. I'd say 75% of the time I insert a cassette the capstan motor doesn't engage. I have to keep taking the cassette out and putting it back in...
  8. spence0nasty

Okay, got my faderlube in the mail today so I was finally able to lube the tape movement sensor shaft and the counter shaft. Rewind is working 100% now! I also hit the solenoid switches with some deoxit and toggled them ~15 or 20 times each. The subtle hum is now also gone! The only thing I...
  9. spence0nasty

Mark, this is embarrassing... I didn't have a tape in it... :/ Turns out I know far less about cassette decks than I even thought (and I already thought I knew nothing)! I was under the impression the capstan motor was always on, tape or no tape. I didn't realize it was keyed off that sensor...
  10. spence0nasty

I have a ct-f9191 that had the common FF/REW problem and I think I may have created more transport problems in the course of trying to fix it. Right now the symptom is that the capstan/flywheel doesn't start turning when the machine is powered on. I'm creating this thread both to get help moving...
  11. spence0nasty

CT-F9191: FF works great, REW struggles

Okay, I had already put in an order for some faderlube after seeing your previous comment but I bought the needle applicator bottle, not the spray can. It hasn't arrived yet but hopefully I can still work it into the tape counter sufficiently without the aerosol. I'll update this thread with my...
  12. spence0nasty

CT-F9191: FF works great, REW struggles

I picked up a relatively clean looking ct-f9191 last year that I'm just now getting around to fixing up and I have this exact same problem. I already have the MTF clutch fix, WJOE belt and pulley kits installed. FF works fine but REW struggles and craps out right around the middle of a tape. If...
  13. spence0nasty

Okay so I finished the re-cap (sans supply filter caps) two nights ago. I was able to set the offset/bias after discovering the VR typo in the service manual (info here) and I listened to it for probably 40 minutes without any issues. However, last night when I turned it on again there were...
  14. spence0nasty

After looking at the SM and Mark's recap lists it looks like the replacement technique is CEA -> UPW, CSSA/CEANL -> UKL, less than 1uF -> film cap. Also, at least in the BOM for this job, all caps greater than 10uF are UPW. That means I'm going with the UPW for AWF-016 C19 & C20...
  15. spence0nasty

Combing through the SM some more this morning I noticed that the Control Amp Assembly (AWG-034-A) BOM I pulled from this thread has a mistake. It lists C49-C52 as 100uF/10V caps, whereas the SM lists them as 16V caps so p/n 647-UPW1A101MDD6 100u/10V is NOT a suitable replacement. Instead...
  16. spence0nasty

Okay, so I started my recap job tonight and I noticed that the service manual omitted two electrolytics from the Equalizer Amplifier Assembly (AWF-016-A) parts list. C19 & C20 are both 100uF/6V caps that appear in both the schematic and the board layout diagram but not in the parts list. I had...
  17. spence0nasty

I've cleaned up the front panel and it's in good enough condition for me. It's got light scratches in some places and some dings to the top edge but it's not too bad IMO. This thing cost me $0 so I'm going to try to flip it to fund my next rebuild (SA-9100).
  18. spence0nasty

As promised, here are some pics. It's not in the best shape but I wanted to get some "before" pics up. It's pretty dirty and as you can see in the last few pics there's a fair amount of corrosion on the rear panel. I plan on hitting it with some vinegar but any other tips/tricks to tackle this...
  19. spence0nasty

Okay for the silicon BOM I again referenced this thread as well as this one. I know from both threads that 2SA725/2SA726, 2SC1312/2SC1313, and 2SC1451 should be replaced. In that first thread markthefixer also suggests replacing 2SC945 and 2SC1384. Given that, here's what I've come up with...
  20. spence0nasty

Okay, thanks for the tips, guys. Just to be clear - For a supply filter cap I shouldn't exceed the 50V spec by an awful lot so sticking around 63V would be a good idea, however, I can go as high as I please in capacitance to get the right canister size, correct? I won't be able to measure the...
  21. spence0nasty

I pulled my recap BOM from mattsd's post in this thread: http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/pioneer-sa-8500-rebuild.354908/ I swapped out the ECQ caps with Wima MKS2 caps because the ECQs aren't available anymore. I got the Wima suggestion from this thread...
  22. spence0nasty

A few days ago I picked up an SA-8500 that my neighbor left on the curb. Other than the fact that it's missing one of its feet it's in okay cosmetic shape. It does have some corrosion on the rear contacts, pre/main jumpers, etc., presumably from being stored in a damp basement or something, but...
  23. spence0nasty

High (5V) DC Offset from Technics SA-200

I have a Technics SA-200 that was working perfectly fine ~3 or 4 months ago but when I powered it on tonight and measured the DC offset I got ~5V in the left channel and only 80mV in the right. Luckily, I didn't have it connected to any speakers or they'd probably be toast! I've got the...
  24. spence0nasty

Realistic LAB-400 Speed (Motor?) Problems

I've been reading the service manual and I'm still not sure what the benefit of replacing the power switch is. However, there is one switch listed in the manual that might need replaced on my TT and it's the muting switch. When I hit the STOP/REJECT button the left channel mutes but the right...
  25. spence0nasty

Realistic LAB-400 Speed (Motor?) Problems

Now that I've learned this is how the motor works I'm kind of embarassed I even asked this question. Oh well, you gotta learn somehow and what better way than asking stupid questions? Why is it necessary to replace the power switch? I'm asking because this TT doesn't quite work like my other...
Back
Top Bottom