Search results

1. steveh1155

Is it Possible to Connect Equalizer to Scott 299?

Yes indeed, the room claps back! I'll try a few easy things first, large area rug and some thick curtains and maybe try raising the speakers up off the floor and see what that does.
  2. steveh1155

I could tell something clearly changed when I moved it from a 20'X25' carpeted area with a lot of sound dampening on the walls and furniture to an area 22'X15' hardwood floors no carpet, blinds instead of curtains, and minimal plush furniture...an acoustically "bright" room. Could be the...
  3. steveh1155

That's a 1946 National NC-240D communications receiver. Found it at an antique shop when on vacation in south Florida. It's built like a tank and a good performer. replaced all the caps and resistors, replaced some tubes and aligned it...it works well and was a fun project! Steve
  4. steveh1155

Yeah, that's kind of what I thought. Looks like I may have to just find some creative ways to soften the room acoustics, large area rug, curtains, etc. Appreciate the advice! Thanks! Steve
  5. steveh1155

I recently set up a system in a room with horrible acoustics...all hard room surfaces. I can't seem to dial it in with just the tone controls on the Scott. The area I had it in before was carpeted with fabric curtains and overstuffed furniture and it seemed to work well. I'm stuck with it in the...
  6. steveh1155

What Record Are You Hearing Now?

Balkan Beat Box...Israeli group! Mediterranean and Eastern European style music. My wife loves it!
  7. steveh1155

299B Resoration Quandry

That first resistor off the bias bridge should barely get warm. I used a 40 ohm/5 watt on mine and that was probably overkill, the original was 10 ohm/2 watt if I recall. Definitely something out of wack....replace those filter caps before you go any further! Electrolytic caps over 50 years old...
  8. steveh1155

Bell Sound 2425 Repair and Restore -- On Hold

I've had 2 of these units over the years and both had the same multiplex unit mounted like yours and always wondered why they left that tube sticking out the back (it just didn't seem "neat"), but they did cover it with the metal shield that had the same finish as the case.
  9. steveh1155

Yes, it had a shield....it was square shaped and attached to the metal case with a clip. https://www.radiomuseum.org/r/bellsound_bell_trw_2425.html
  10. steveh1155

I had that same model a few years ago. Those 4 RCA output tubes are probably original as well as the 2 Mullard rectifiers. The 4 12AX7's would have been Telefunken (which explains why they are missing!). My dad bought one new when I was a kid and that's how it came from the factory. That...
  11. steveh1155

Who Likes a Shiny Scott! (testing new photo hosting service)

Found in the trash?!?! Are you kidding me...I never find anything so nice in the trash!!!
  12. steveh1155

Amplifier Distortion, DC-Offset, and You!

I was given a Pioneer SX-780 recently that had seen little or no use the past 25 yrs and checked the DC at the speaker terminals: Initial: Left Ch. 1.8mV Right Ch. 9.8mV After 15 min. warmup: Left Ch. 4.8mV Right Ch. 15.9mV So, not too bad.
  13. steveh1155

Scott 299A (2nd version) Rebuild

It's been about 4 years since I did that rebuild on my Scott 299. It still plays music beautifully! I did begin to notice that the right channel would drop out periodically due to one or more of the front mounted switches that needed cleaning - can of deoxit took care of that.
  14. steveh1155

Has anybody ever seen this tube amp?

I've never heard of this brand before, but it does look Scott like, with the gold faceplate & aluminum chassis.
  15. steveh1155

How to select a replacement tweeter?

I'll be following this thread - I also have a pair of XP-7 speakers I picked up last year in need of tweeters. Mine already had replacement tweeters installed by someone but both are now blown with open coils.
  16. steveh1155

I picked up a Garrard GT55. I think I like it.

I have a couple of these tables - one is a parts donor. Mine had problems with rumble and unsteady speed that I couldn't figure out (even after rebuilding the motor control board) until I had a look at the service manual which stated that the cogged belt must be at the correct tension. I simply...
  17. steveh1155

Triplett 3423 Calibration Adventure

Here's a couple of pics. The strain relief is the small plastic clamp (circled in red) on the cord which is simply screwed in to the wooden case near where it exits. The other pic shows the two fuses at the end of the plug. My cord is shot - I really need to replace it!
  18. steveh1155

Triplett 3423 Calibration Adventure

The 2 fuses are supposed to be in the plug - one on each leg.
  19. steveh1155

Triplett 3423 Tester & 12ax7

Nice tester - yes, of course it can.
  20. steveh1155

What EL84 is best for HH Scott 399

6P14P-EV sound fantastic in my Scott 299 - and at a fraction of the cost of vintage NOS. I've been buying these for future replacement as well in anticipation of the supply eventually drying up.
  21. steveh1155

Wacky antiquated stylus gauge! Anyone use this?

I've seen quite a few of these over the years with a lot of different brand names on them, but the gauges themselves are identical. Here's mine:
  22. steveh1155

What's The Oldest Component Or System You're Using?

1960 Garrard 4HF with an Empire 108 cart into a 1960 Scott 299 driving a pair of 1963 Fisher XP-1A.
  23. steveh1155

6P14P-EV Russian Tubes

My quad of Reflektor 6P14P-EV arrived today. The seller is located in Moldova and unfortunately he only had one quad left - the package they arrived in looked like something from the 18th century (small box covered with brown paper, string and a genuine wax seal!!! Really - an imprinted WAX...
  24. steveh1155

Shure M7D or Empire 108

Well, I ended up trying both of these and it wasn't even a close contest. The Shure M7D sounded okay, not bad, just okay - but the Empire 108 had a much better upper end, clear and detailed highs. The spec sheets on both carts sort of told me why that may be. The bad news is the Empire weighs a...
  25. steveh1155

6P14P-EV Russian Tubes

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=384905
Back
Top Bottom