Search results

1. Tamarillo

NoVa Noob

Hi, why the nova noob title, assumed you would have nova gear...
  2. Tamarillo

Hello from the Pacific NW

Where's the dac? Hello there, nice gear but where is the dac? Music stored on iMac, using Apple TV as a streamer? But where is the digital to analogue happening? Am I missing something as the amp and speakers deserve a very good source but I don't see one. Just call me stupid...
  3. Tamarillo

Kt77 tubes too bright, suggestions.

So an update. Tried an active preamp and bingo. Bass is back mids are strong,treble is rounded out. Tried el34 tubes and that mellows it even more but loses definition, a bit too rounded off. Preamp is a croft vitale on loan but decided not to buy it as rather pricey so am getting a Chinese...
  4. Tamarillo

Volume pot setting calibration?

Anybody else own a benchmark dac and had to calibrate fixed output? Please?
  5. Tamarillo

System build advice

Do you like cars? In terms of its function, use, performance etc a new car is simply miles better than an old one. Only time old is good is for pure fun times and reliving past glory days. But not as daily driver. Almost all vintage car folk have new cars to use daily. Surely all the work...
  6. Tamarillo

Cable Direction

Yep, cables make a difference, proved it to my own skeptical ears too many times now. I plugged in some far higher grade IC cable expecting bugger all, but was stopped before I even got to sit down. Not just different but better. Though I did ask a chap who makes cables about his arrows, and he...
  7. Tamarillo

Well... I finally did it , sold it all off and now what???

I like. Clear the clutter, one really good set up, enjoy the music.
  8. Tamarillo

Listen to Pandora, and It Listens Back

Agree, spotify beats pandora hands down. New car has pandora so tried it again but not enough music I like.
  9. Tamarillo

feeling a sense of accomplishment in this hobby is a fleeting thing....

It is primarily for music, but let's be honest we play with toys and if we didn't would simply spend the max we could on an integrated system. Naim, rega, quad, etc will all make it easy and sell,us a one name system and would sound fantastic. Dare I say it better that many a mismatched hobbled...
  10. Tamarillo

Dynavector L200 Pre to drive tube monos?

Anyone using a Dynavector L200 Pre Amplifier to drive tube power amp? Good combo? Have monoblocks using quad set of KT77 Gold Lion Genalex and 6SN7EH electro-harmonix made in aus by melody. The dyna has come up in NZ. And wondering if might work well but everything I read about them is with...
  11. Tamarillo

Yep I am in over my head! The amps are Aussie made melody but there is no info available or to be found.
  12. Tamarillo

Info on Melody SHW80w monoblocks

Thanks again. Certainly sensing I might need to find a way of springing for a decent preamp but in meantime am going to get them serviced and assessed.
  13. Tamarillo

That's encouraging thank you. Have boxed them up to get them serviced and assessed by expert.
  14. Tamarillo

Calibrate benchmark dac?

Has anyone had nay luck doing this? Benchmark say to use a 1 kHz sine wave at -20 DBfs but there link to it is broken so I got one elsewhere. Have multimeter set to AC volts but threading on the coaxial outputs jump and run all over the joint with no discernible reading. Supposed to be 0.2 vac...
  15. Tamarillo

Double dutch Thanks so much for help, but I have no idea what this means or how to do this. Measure points on spectrum? I was told they are auto bias? Not true? Tone controls I get, i guess that means an active preamp? Think I need to get them looked at by a tame techie I know of...
  16. Tamarillo

No help from melody My SS amp is the perreaux 160i, a modernish 160 watt moffset high quality amp. Have tried its preamp to no avail, did not sound as sweet as the passive preamp does. Does not have any tone controls though. Agree that melody sport is a problem. Silly of them ad it puts me...
  17. Tamarillo

Good info Thanks for input. Have tried various cables both as IC and speaker and though changes can be made they don't fix it. Indeed I read the eh 6SN7 might be bright and wondered if this might be part of problem. Likely it is a set of small issues ghost need fixing otherwise it would be...
  18. Tamarillo

Hi tim, great to have your input thank you. Model is SHW80w and that is all I have, no manual, no details printed. Last owner said they were auto biasing so I did not need to worry about it. Likely? My integrated is a perreaux 160 watt moffset job and have tried both it's and the benchmarks...
  19. Tamarillo

Monoblocks running KT77 Gold Lion Genalex and 6SN7EH electro-harmonix with gold plated pins. Fed by passive amp from benchmark dac1 into three way quality speakers known to lean to brightness. Whole effect is too bright missing serious bottom and enough mids. Tried various types of cables...
  20. Tamarillo

Thanks heaps, nice to know bit more about its layout. I think the stuff about gain signals that passive preamp is fine as certainly I don't need any more volume out of it. So do I need to tune brightness in my cables maybe?
  21. Tamarillo

Update, added perreaux passive preamp today which is certainly nicer. Volume at 10 or 11 is plenty so amps seem to have plenty of grunt. Still rather bright though. My speakers are three way known for neutral sound with little lean to bright.
  22. Tamarillo

Recommended Modern Sources

Digital PC v CD Changed from cd source to IMac server running PureMusic into V-Link spidf converter taking XLR cable to benchmark dac1. And never managed to get same enjoyment out of my music. Tried files ripped in various formats and now only use WAV which is best. Recently added an old...
  23. Tamarillo

need a very good preamp advice?

I've been trying to get a handle on preamps and it seems the compatability issues and variance is even greater than with amps. So far getting apparently wrong results with things so good ness knows how one can get advice on this. Am trying a simple passive next and am tempted to get one of those...
  24. Tamarillo

Article: "10 biggest lies in audio". Thoughts?

Poopycock Nah gave in at number one. Recently experimented with a new IC and was blown away at the immediate difference, had not even sat down. And I did not even want to like it. So gave in on first item. Poopycock.
  25. Tamarillo

Anyone anything?
Back
Top Bottom