Search results

1. mjs1

Sansui Alpha CD players - CD-α907 and CD-α907i

Hello everyone. These are beautiful high quality machines. Despite using “old” technology I feel confident that the audio quality is superb and holds up to more modern technology well just as the dac on the AU-X911 does. My question though is, if the laser assembly fails as these inevitably...
  2. mjs1

The Holy Grail - B-209

Hi Sansuiman. Will you be using a preamp with your B-209? The Best of Sansui site, which is the only site where I could find information on it says, “mostly made in the United States except for the design and the front panel production”. As I understand Sansui history, Sansui had lost most of...
  3. mjs1

Has anyone listened to both the Alpha's AU-a907 MR and AU-a907 NRA?

I have them both although in separate rooms with different speakers. My original thinking was that the NRA represented the culmination of years of Sansui development and would be the best. I haven’t researched this in years but later I found opinions that the NRA is just a so-so Sansui Alpha...
  4. mjs1

New to me AU-111 Vintage 1999

Hello. As best I recall, the topology for the 111 Vintage and Vintage G is identical to that of the original AU-111 except that the G had some extra modifications to accommodate a cd player. I believe that craggd also has a B-209. Happy listening. Cheers. Marc
  5. mjs1

Sansui A-603 Moving Coil Transformer help needed.

Well, you would think that if mine went to a VIP they would have at least put an A-603 in it. Good night all. Marc
  6. mjs1

I also don’t think that there is any contradiction. Serial numbers go FF Y MM #### and briefly looking at the Sansui data base I would guess that the #### refers to the unit made on the factory line (FF) that month. It appears that all of the Gs listed were made on line 60 in 2001. Mine was...
  7. mjs1

Hi Sansuiman. I am 74 y/0 and put the box in “a safe place” several years ago. “Safe” means that it will not be easy for me to find. It is either in the attic or the barn wrapped in protective plastic. I copied the serial number off the amplifier not the box. However, if my memory can be...
  8. mjs1

Mine is the 601040001. It came in its original box and was listed as a Vintage but, much to my surprise, when I unpacked it found it to be a G with gold knobs and feet. It is mint and likely has the original tubes. Marc
  9. mjs1

Thank you _mano. It is interesting to see where these wound up. Your #22 is in the UK, johhny_fever’s #6 presumably is in Illinois in the mid-west US. I think I have #1 and am in the eastern US near Ithaca, NY. Cheers. Marc
  10. mjs1

Hi Folks. Just a quick question if I may. Once the A-603s are installed in the 111-G can you choose between cartridge types or are you committed to run only MCs? Thanks. Marc
  11. mjs1

My Latest Acquisition

Thanks again fojica. I just want to let all of you know that I am enjoying the discussion. While there is a lot that I can’t understand, I am happy to see the everyone’s thoughts on the technical end of Sansui evolution. No need to water them down for me. If I wanted to I could teach myself...
  12. mjs1

My Latest Acquisition

I may be entirely off base here but, if memory serves me correctly, I do recall a post from JOMARK911, which I could not find, that financial pressures on Sansui markedly affected the quality of the B2105 and that is not on par with the previous separates. This goes against my original theory...
  13. mjs1

What after AU-G99X?

The AU-G99X is pretty far up on the chain. You can check the best of sansui/sansui.us page for a chronological list of integrateds in the US and Japanese markets. http://www.sansui.us/Issues_IntvsDomestic.htm To top this (maybe) you would either go for an X901 or X911DG/X711 or (with rare...
  14. mjs1

Sansui product history

A resource, though incomplete, of Japanese models which can be used in conjunction with the Best of Sansui/ sansui.us site is: https://audio-database.com/SANSUI/index.html
  15. mjs1

My Latest Acquisition

Lord ghamilton. I find your sad devotion to this ancient amplifier disturbing. https://m.youtube TV.com/watch?v=YnNSnJbjdws No offense intended. To Hyperion. Yes, these amplifiers are too big and too heavy to move around much. Cheers. Marc
  16. mjs1

My Latest Acquisition

So… Are you now going to get rid of your AU-X1 (or is it an AU-X11 that you have)? Just trying to stir up a little trouble here. Anyway, if you are so inclined, comparisons will be amusing. I know that you have listened to an Alpha AU-907 Limited too but you can’t do direct comparisons. Come...
  17. mjs1

My Latest Acquisition

Truly a beautiful amplifier. Congratulations. IIRC, according to Bumpalump, even the Alphas have the Sansui glue problem. Is there evidence of this here? Cheers. Marc
  18. mjs1

Sansui AU-Alpha907Limited service manual

I can’t explain it and only know what I have read and quoted. I am sorry for any misinformation perceived but I still think that my post was appropriate. Fortunately, I was not responsible for you buying the AU-707 for replacement parts for your AU-717. The AU-717 is widely available in the...
  19. mjs1

Has anybody substituted a logarithmic pot with a linear one?

The Sansui AU-11000 (1976) originally had a volume pot with a logarithmic taper. The A model came later and had linear volume control. They are otherwise, as best I know, identical. Since most of us are used to a linear control the original appears to be defective to those who first encounter...
  20. mjs1

Sansui AU-Alpha907Limited service manual

FWIW the AU-707 (1976) was the Japanese market amplifier (100V) that lent its name to the 07 series. The corresponding international model was the AU-717. While you will have significant problems getting hold of an AU-707 service manual (which would be in Japanese) my guess is that an AU-717...
  21. mjs1

Which AU-111 is this?

Hi. This is an old one, not a member of the Vintage series. The serial number should allow you to determine the month and year of manufacture. See below: “Thanks to member Stene, we have the decoding logic for serial numbers. aaymm#### where 'aa' is the manufacturing line number, 'y' is...
  22. mjs1

Sansui AU D11 Transformer Hum

In brief, the D11 was the part of the 07 series that evolved from the 717 (707 in Japan) through the 919, its (the D11’s) predecessor. The D11II was the first in line of the subsequent X-balanced amplifiers that would the X901, X911 DG, and the subsequent Japanese market only alphas. The D11II...
  23. mjs1

AU-Alpha 907DR offset and bias adjustments

Check out Bumpalump’s thread on the au alpha 907 Limited for the bias. He or others could probably help you on the offset.
  24. mjs1

Au-D907 to be or not to be

Great amplifier and great price but be aware it will need extensive restoration with replacement of the black flag capacitors which can jeopardize the almost irreplaceable output transistors. If you can and want to restore it yourself it’s a bargain. If you can find an experienced technician...
  25. mjs1

If only I could.....

Gotta watch out for those black flag capacitors. Cheers. Marc
Back
Top Bottom