Search results

1. DOBIEGUY

What circuits to run for new construction

Pull Romex through conduit? Can’t be used in wet area? How ‘bout THHN wire in conduit and direct burial UF-B for outdoor use? Wiring is not a hobby, hire a pro.
  2. DOBIEGUY

Fisher 100 ‘loco’ amp issue

@AMTPROD Until the failure of one original Mullard tube the cage did get screaming hot. Together with the rectifier tube, all in close proximity, I was concerned with potting material in the transformer. I had one years ago and the bottom cover was almost impossible to remove. A good amount of...
  3. DOBIEGUY

New Old Stock ferro fluid cooled tweeters

If you opened up the original tweeters to determine the condition of the ferrofluid you’re half way there to cleaning them up and replacing the ferrofluid. Ferrofluid is cheap and readily available in pre measured amounts. YouTube is your friend, Ebay is your source. “I want to get as close to...
  4. DOBIEGUY

Counterpoint SA 7.1 - Relay Does Not Click On

There are two white wires in your first post secured to the chassis(upper right corner). One is spliced to the green wire on the transformer. The other goes under the board. That’s what I was referencing.
  5. DOBIEGUY

I remember when I removed the PCB from my unit one of the white ground wires went under the board. The ring terminal was secured under one of the standoffs. Any chance it’s just floating around and may have caused this problem after your reassembly ? I noticed the regulator is mounted on a...
  6. DOBIEGUY

There have been a few iterations of this preamp. All I can tell you is this. When the power on switch is turned on the filaments come on immediately. Thirty seconds later the relay clicks and the output is active. There is also a operate/mute toggle switch. It does not involve the relay. The...
  7. DOBIEGUY

The tube filaments come on immediately. The output is muted for thirty seconds.
  8. DOBIEGUY

I have one of these. It’s my understanding the first generation had two 6DJ8 in the line stage. Mine (labeled 7.1) came to me with a piggy backed PCB that plugged into the two tube sockets and used only one tube. Other components were also on that board. One day out of the blue the right channel...
  9. DOBIEGUY

UPDATE! The failed resistor has been changed and the 6L6GC installed. Amp sounds outstanding. Thanks for all the input. James
  10. DOBIEGUY

@gadget73 I totally understand about the old caps. The thing with this amp is it just sounds so damn good as is. Very quiet at idle and runs cool even after a few hours. I’ve got the model 90C control amp and the model series ninety gold cascode tuner also.All three pieces full with Fisher...
  11. DOBIEGUY

@Dave451 Thanks for a quick reply. I’ve got strong 6L6g that am going to use. Parts are on the way and I’ll update this after they are installed. James
  12. DOBIEGUY

My amp is as original as the day it was made, including the Fisher and Mullard tubes. Today within seconds of turning it on there was loud static, the fuse blew and the smell of a fried resistor followed. An examination inside shows R16 burnt. It’s mounted on pin 6 and pin 4 of V3. I removed V3...
  13. DOBIEGUY

Who's listening to FM Tonight? What tuner?

It’s Mardi Gras in New Orleans. LAISSEZ LE BON TEMPS ROULER! WWOZ 90.7 FM / WWOZ.ORG Streaming on the net via Bluesound.
  14. DOBIEGUY

KEF owners thread

Hey Dony I’d have serious reservations buying an amp 35+ years and then finding a qualified technician to overhaul it. Big and heavy, shipping costs could be substantial. I’d also would want to know about the availability of those MOFETS in case of an issue. I’ve been using a Bryston 3B for...
  15. DOBIEGUY

AR 4x - preparing a rehab

Nice work. What’s the deal with that 10 watt resistor? Don’t ever recall seeing one in the original 4x crossover. Happy listening!
  16. DOBIEGUY

Mark Levinson 27.5 or McIntosh MC2205?

Congrats on your new to you ML amp. You didn’t settle for second best. Are you using it balanced or single ended? Single ended requires the use of those little jumpers. A better solution would be a pair of male XLR connectors with pins 1&3 jumped. You won’t loose them and these look better...
  17. DOBIEGUY

Mark Levinson 27.5 or McIntosh MC2205?

I’m a long time owner of a ML No.27.5 amplifier. It was bought previously owned at less than half its original price. I specifically looked for this model to mate with my No.28 preamp. The combo preforms flawlessly. Absolutely dead quiet and after hours of operation it is just barely warm. This...
  18. DOBIEGUY

Who's listening to FM Tonight? What tuner?

I’ve been streaming tri-state NYC radio since moving to FM radio hell N.C. Saturday afternoon is always ‘Mixed Bag’ on WFUV. (90.7 FM) Give it a listen on WFUV.ORG. It’s what makes listening to the radio great.
  19. DOBIEGUY

Dahlquist DQ-10 refurbish recommendations GA

Do a search in this forum for this thread ’The good, the bad and the ugly’ 140+ posts, a good read and what you can expect with your restoration. Best of luck!
  20. DOBIEGUY

KEF 107 T33 replacement?

I’d be interested to know where the ‘guy that worked on them‘ got the definitive, last word on what to use. Was it his opinion? Use whatever you think is right. I’m done here.
  21. DOBIEGUY

KEF 107 T33 replacement?

Dony Here is a photo from the FerroTec data sheet. I believe you’re over thinking this. The amount of fluid that you are installing is minuscule. The fact that FerroTec packages this product in a few different sizes( for different diameter VCs) and prints the instructions with their name on it...
  22. DOBIEGUY

KEF 107 T33 replacement?

Hey @Dony Unless there is some issue with shipping ferrofluid to Canada from the US it’s available on Ebay from a major seller with free shipping. Less than US$12 each. Buy two pre-measured 100ul tubes and you’re good. Made by FerroTec. Good luck
  23. DOBIEGUY

AR 4x - preparing a rehab

The topic of rehabbing AR 4x speakers has been discussed ad nausean. There are two items inside. One is a cap that must be changed. The other is the tweeter control. Disassembling and cleaning it is a waste of time and effort. Yeah, it might work for a while but you’ll find yourself back inside...
  24. DOBIEGUY

"Cute" little radio.

Artie, Artie, Artie “CUTE”? Only babies and puppies are cute, and not in that order. Merry Christmas and happy listening. James
Back
Top Bottom