Search results

1. drbacklash

Marantz 2285b repair in NC

Both AM and FM reception went out on my 2285b recently (not weak but nonexistent) and I am looking for someone in NC or northern SC to repair it. I live on the east coast of NC between Wilmington and Myrtle Beach. Any referrals? The entire unit was professionally restored about 5 years ago. I...
  2. drbacklash

Marantz 2285b repair in NC

I have a beautiful 2285b that was working fine until it wasn't. I'm getting nothing (no signal, no sound, no static) when I select FM so the tuner is suspect. I took the cover off to see if there was something obvious but nada. Everything else works fine except the tuner. My options are to...
  3. drbacklash

Eleven GX Woes

I pulled this 50 lb receiver out today to work into my rotation. No problem last time I had it on (2 years). Lights on, relay click and no sound. Flipped the M.A.C. lever and call the fire dept! Opened it up and R48 330 0hm resistor on the right channel side is cooked with smoke damage all...
  4. drbacklash

6060 F-2648

I have a 6060 that has a popping in one channel. The power board is a F-2701 but my service manual shows the F-2648. The manual is for both the 5050 and 6060 so I expect some boarders interchanged between the two units. Where can I find data for the 2701?
  5. drbacklash

AU 717 problems

This is a continuation of an earlier thread about the 717 not coming out of protection mode but I followed Leestereos instructions on improving the power and driver boards so now I have different problems. Some background, I got this unit a few years ago and cleaned all the boards, replaced...
  6. drbacklash

Help with AU 717

I put my AU 717 in storage (no climate control) about 2 years ago and it was working fine. I pulled it out yesterday to connect to my TU 717 and it won't come out of protection mode. I adjusted bias but couldn't set DC offset (readings were jumping all around and wouldn't settle on any value)...
  7. drbacklash

2225 Signal Strength Meter

I have a nice little 2225 that I would like to keep so I recapped it and replaced all the bad bulbs including the stereo light that wasn't working. When I connect it to my outside antenna, it will pull in stations ok but the signal strength meter deflects very little and the stereo light does...
  8. drbacklash

Kenwood 11GX Bias Problem

This is a beautiful receiver and I would like to keep it in my shop. The unit powers on, relay clicks and the right channel sounds ok. The right channel is distorted, not scratchy. I used deoxit on all the switches and that didn't improve the situation. I can set the left channel bias at...
  9. drbacklash

Marantz Resistor Identification

In checking the resistor values in the 4230 SM, there is no obvious way to distinguish between a 1/4W and a 1/2W carbon resistor unless its part of the code. For example, I suspect a prefix of RT05xxxxx is a 1/4 W resistor and a GF05xxxxx is a 1/2W. Am I correct?
  10. drbacklash

Stupid question about quad receivers

I haven't asked a stupid question since I asked my wife if she planned on leaving the house looking like she did (the bruises are healing nicely, thank you). Anway, what is the difference between 4 and 2 channel stereo? I have a 2230 that sound good but I recently acquired a 4230 that needs a...
  11. drbacklash

Resistor Question

I have several different types of resistors on the PS board of my Kenwood 11GX. I generally use metal film resistors to replace any fusible resistors but I'm wondering if they are also suitable replacements for carbon film, carbon composition and metal oxide resistors?
  12. drbacklash

Kenwood Eleven GX

Does anyone have the bias and offset specs and adjustment procedures for this unit? The left DC offset is running about 45 mV and I can find pots (but no test points) for the bias adjustments. A copy of the SM woule be even better. They are hard to find.
  13. drbacklash

in60 diode question

I'm still trying to get my 9090 back up and running. There are 4 1n60 diodes on the protection board that test (out of circuit) from .270 to .300. Is that normal? I thought good diodes tested in the ..400 to .500 range. If these are bad, what is a good substitute for them? I also found two...
  14. drbacklash

9090 adjustment problems

I picked up my first 9090 this past weekend and put it on the bench to check it out. It came out of protection fine and didn't sound too bad through my bench speakers. (This is where I should have stopped but you know I didn't or I wouldn't have the title above). I have set the bias and...
  15. drbacklash

Multiple purchase of equipment

I responded to a CL ad that offered 3 vintage receivers for $40. Not one to pass up a deal, I went to see what he had. This is what I left with: Harman Kardon HK340 receiver Kenwood KR-3090 receiver Marantz 2225 receiver in addition to the receivers, I bought these Technics SL-B5 TT...
  16. drbacklash

G-8000 Project

I've got a nice G-8000 that is dropping the left channel after being on for about 15 seconds so its time to fix it. I thought I would recap, replace relays and trimpots while I'm checking everything out. Does anyone have a list of parts they have used to replace the original caps, trimpots and...
  17. drbacklash

2230 clipping adjustment question

I just finished recapping and adding all new led lights to my 2230. I made the bias adjustment but have never done a clipping adjustment before. I have a function generator and an oscilliscope and the service manual. Do I have to have a dummy load on the speaker connections to make this...
  18. drbacklash

2230 Problem

When I first got this 2230, the right channel would drop out every now and then. It would come back when I turned the volume pot up louder. It didn't improve after I cleaned all pots and switches with Deoxit D5. In fact, it has gotten so bad that the right channel is completely gone and the...
  19. drbacklash

2230 vs. 2230b

I have a 2230 and I decided to recap it and restore it as much as possible (it was nasty inside). The paint on the transformer was peeling off and it had some rust on it so I decided to buy a replacement transformer instead of painting the old one. I bough one on the auction place and it came...
  20. drbacklash

G-8000. Is this normal?

I decided to bring my G8 back online after it had been sitting a couple of months. Hooked it up to my dim bulb and turned it on. Bulb was bright for a while and then calmed down. It took the receiver a while (a minute) to come out of protection and the bulb was still shining dimly. Turned it...
  21. drbacklash

2230 transistor questions

2230 resistor questions I got my first Marantz, a 2230, a few days ago and I'm in the process of cleaning and recapping. I found the irepairmarantz website and I am following that as much as possible. Good info there, btw. Well, I decide to totally remove the P750 Power Amp boards to work on...
  22. drbacklash

Robert Gordinsky Research Preamplifier

I bought a Marantz 2230 last weekend and while I was at the seller's house to pick it up, he mentioned a preamp he had that I could buy if I wanted it. He wasn't sure it worked so I got it for a pretty good price. It is a Roger Gordinsky Research preamplifier. I've never used a preamp before...
  23. drbacklash

New to Marantz

My first serious stereo was a Sanaui 6060 and I still have it and it works great. Over the past couple of years, I've started collecting some of the higher end vintage Sansui equipment, cleaning them up, recapping, replacing fusible resistors and basic, simple restorative stuff. When the shop...
  24. drbacklash

Three Dumb Questions, ok maybe only two

1. What is the difference between 50V and 50WV? 2. What is the difference between bi-polar and non-polar? I thought they were the same but I've seen both type caps for sale on the same page. 3. Where can I find a 80V (or even a 100V) 4.7 uF bi-polar cap? The 7070 has three and I can't...
  25. drbacklash

Sansui 7000 surprise

I just bought a non-working 7000 to mess with and sure enough, it doesn't work. Turns on but no sound. Checked the visible fuses and they are ok. Took the bottom off and ......hello.... what's this? A shiny dime on one of the circuit board. And over here, a big chunk of wood.....and a paper...
Back
Top Bottom