Search results

1. A

Would you consider a Concept 3.5 a good starter vintage hifi?

I've owned all the Concept receivers, from the 2.0 to the 11.0 (still waiting to find a 16.5). I can heartily recommend any Concept receiver without reservation.
  2. A

Sound Dynamics 300Ti

Those are great speakers, I once had a pair then subsequently sold them. If I could un-sell just one pair of speakers I've parted with, it would be the 300 ti's.
  3. A

Opinion time: What is your favorite small receiver of all time, and why?

Harman Kardon HK430. Some of the best highs and mids I've ever heard. If the bass was just a bit tighter, this would be a hall of fame receiver.
  4. A

Which P-mount: Digitrac 300, AT92E Shibata or Grado Black 8mz?

Having owned all three at various points in time, I can honestly say you can't go wrong with any of them. However, I would go with the Digitrac by the tiniest of margins.
  5. A

Best guitar solo ever

Well, I'm not sure that there's any such thing as the best guitar solo ever (sort of like there's no best flavor of ice cream) but the very first thing that popped into my mind was Eric Clapton's solo in Sunshine of Your Love. Great question though, love to hear what others think.
  6. A

Cartridge Choice: Asking for Suggestions

If you're looking for a warm sound, avoid the Orftofon 2M Red at all costs, it's the complete antithesis of what you're looking for.
  7. A

Your favorite 12AX7 and 12AU7 Pre Amp tubes and why?

Ei ECC83 (12AX7). I bought some about 15 years ago, and liked them just as much as some Telefunken's I had at the time. They are still around, but there are a bunch of Chinese counterfeits, so Buyer Beware.
  8. A

What are your favorite themaic recods?

Pink Floyd-Wish You Were Here
  9. A

Quadraflex owners - please help - QL-410

I've had several of these over the years and they all ran slow. With no internal speed adjustment, it sounds like you came up with an interesting fix.
  10. A

Entry Level Turntable War

I've owned both, and I must agree. Nothing wrong with the Technics combo, but the Philips setup is closer to the musical truth.
  11. A

best classical music station?

WFMT in Chicago.
  12. A

SX850 and KR-9600

I've owned both, and I think you have two big winners there. FWIW I could live happily ever after with either one.
  13. A

Can any DVD player play 24bit/96khz?

You're getting true 24bit/96khz playback.
  14. A

The vinyl bug never died, it went dormant for a while

Couldn't agree with you more.
  15. A

Sanyo Plus 55 AND HR-5540 Inputs

You can. Hook up your turntable the way you normally do to the Plus 55. Then run some RCA jacks from the Plus 55 Tape Output into the AUX inputs on the HR-5540. That should do the trick.
  16. A

The Album That Holds Me Captive

Peter Walker - Rainy Day Raga Absolutely ethereal, mesmerizing acoustic guitar playing.
  17. A

Songs with a great Bass Line

Freddie's Dead - Curtis Mayfield
  18. A

Kenwood KT 7300 vs KT 8300

Yes it is, and it has a superior sense of realism as well. The performers, the music, etc. have a much greater in-the-room presence compared to the KT-7300.
  19. A

Decent turntables under $100 (Used)

There are many good used turntable out there for under $100. The usual suspects of course are Technics, Pioneer, Dual etc. However, don't overlook turntables by other manufacturers such as Akai, Hitachi, Sanyo, et al. Many of them were built by C.E.C. and are very good indeed. Lastly, always...
  20. A

Kenwood KT 7300 vs KT 8300

I've owned both, the KT-8300 is vastly superior.
  21. A

Optimus T-100?

I had a a pair for a while. I found them listenable, they really didn't do anything wrong.
  22. A

Calling all Norman Laboratories experts!!

I've had two different pairs of Norman Labs speakers and thought they were fabulous. Kind of rare outside of Texas, Oklahoma, etc. but real sleepers. Well worth obtaining. If you don't like them, you would be able to sell them in a heartbeat.
  23. A

how much to refoam Advent heritage speaks.

I refoamed some Heritage speakers a few months ago, you can do it for chump change. The foam surrounds are very common and inexpensive, use Aleene's tacky glue for the job. IIRC, all that stuff cost me less than $20.
  24. A

Watch 1000 yrs. of Euro borders change - Video

Forward he cried from the rear and the front rank died And the General sat, as the lines on the map moved from side to side Us and Them-Pink Floyd
  25. A

Concept 16.5; Very pleasant surprise

I never met a Concept receiver I didn't like.
Back
Top Bottom