Search results

1. C

IS "Bass Obsession" deeply influenced by the type of music one listens to?

Real bass note Hi everyone Just for us to remember... The very last low note on a concert grand piano is an A (la) wich produces a 26 hz wave. Very few home speaker or subwoofer can handle that low wave with sufficient efficiency to produce a realistic sound. And moreover that wave...
  2. C

Buy IMF TLS80 II or Keep my Kef Concerto

Hi every one! I have an occasion to buy a pair of recapped TLS80II that looks in perfect shape (KEF B139,B110, Celestion tweeters and 4 way x-over. But the price asked looks a bit high for me.(750.$ cd) On the other hand i have my Kef Concertos that i builded mysef following exactly the...
  3. C

Worlds Best Engineered Preamp

Kenwood Lab serie : L07C or L07CII Very hard to find better as far as engenering, simplicity and reliability. And : under 3 '' high. Claude
  4. C

Home Theater sound -vs-audiophile system

Home Theater sound -vs-audiophile sound I heard many different HT system and all of them gave me the impression that «bass» was so much boosted that it had nothing to do with reality, except maybe for explosions, earthquake, and things like that. Most of the time, the music content was...
  5. C

Home Theater sound -vs-audiophile system

I heard many different HT system and all of them gave me the impression that «bass» was so much boosted that it had nothing to do with reality, except maybe for explosions, earthquake, and things like that. Most of the time, the music content was almost unbearable, at least for me. II...
  6. C

Modern 6'' and deep bass : cone excursion?

Hi The laws of physic have not changed : a 15'' cone moves a lot bigger amount of air than a 6'' one. But many modern quality speakers with only one or two 6'' whoofers seem to qive as much bass as a vintage bass reflex with a 15'' . Am i wrong in thinking that cone excursion is one...
  7. C

Recapping Kef Concertos

I want to recap the DN12 crossovers of my Kef Concertos. The drivers (all originals) are in perferct shape and i builded the enclosure following exactly the Kef blue prints. But the crossovers DN12 have never been recapped and they are at least 30 years old. Will it make a real audible...
  8. C

Considering Falcon acoustics

I want to recap the DN12 crossovers of my Kef Concerto. The drivers (all originals) are in perferct shape and i builded the enclosure following exactly the Kef blue prints. But the crossovers DN12 have never been recapped and they are at least 30 years old. Would that be mybest...
  9. C

Recaping Kef Concerto

Hi All the drivers B-139, B110 and T-27 are in perfect condition, but the x-overs (DN 12) have never been taken care of. So the caps are at least 30 years old. Will it make a realy audible differance if i replace all the caps? Or should I by a brand new DN 12 from Falcon acoustics? I...
  10. C

KEF 101 tweeter problem

A T-27 for 50$ ??? I sure would love to know where in Europe and from whom. I live in Canada and and i have never seen that price on e-bay or Cannuck or any other place. Its always more than 100$. Thanks for the information
  11. C

Kef Concerto vs Celestion 66

I have builded Concertos, carefully following Kefs construction plans. The drivers B-139, B-110 and T-27 in perfect shape (the DN12 x-over needs recap). Now I have the chance to pick up not far from home a pair of Celestion 66 at a very reasonable price and save the shipping cost. I...
  12. C

My Kef Concertos... Help

I have builded the enclosure folliwing exactly the plans furnished by Kef for the Concertos. The drivers B-139, B- 110 and T-27 are all in perfect working order. The sound is great but a bit boomy. Would a complete recap of the DN 12 X-overs make a real difference? Or shoud i consider...
  13. C

What's wrong with this picture? A little quiz.

The two speakers in front of the picture are not a pair : they both have their crest on the left side.
  14. C

Member Ages

I started to take interest in what was then called HI-FI at the age of about 12, some 58 years ago.
  15. C

Suggestions for Kenwood L-09 replacement

Whithin the budget limit u fixed, i think the only amps that could match the L-09 are the Kenwood L-O7M, or even better, the L-07MII. On fleabay I've got mine on fleabay for 400$ a few years ago. Of course, as u probably know, those amps will need a serious check up ... I had mine completly...
  16. C

JBL 2215 drivers

I have those two 15'' woofers and they badly need refoam. A technician here in Montreal ask me 85$ to do the job. Is it too much? Arethey whorthed? Tanks for ur advice.
  17. C

JBL 2215 Worth repairing?

I have two 2215 JBL 15'' woofers. The foam surround has completly dried out. A speaker specialits here asked me 85$ to repair both speakers. Should i accept? Thanks
  18. C

Best midrange in a 3-way system

How about Kef? Among 3way vintage speaker systems i would vote for Kef B110 as a fantastic mid range driver.
  19. C

One of my L-07MII is getting too hot

Thanks Glenn I' ll just do what u suggest and see what happens. In fact i dont trust too much my L-07CII in his present shape. And i look forward for your call whenever it gets its turn in your (pretty long ...) work queue. Meanwhile, if the test u suggest is conclusive, i'll use my...
  20. C

One of my L-07MII is getting too hot

My two L-07MII (EW refurbished) have been working perfectly for almost two years now. But yesterday night, after listening to music for a few hours at moderate level, i suddenly noticed that one of them had become very , very hot even though the sound was still OK. The other amp was hot too...
  21. C

What about L-07CII preamp?

Hi everyone I have read many comments by Akers about the L-07M or L-07MII or the L-09M but never about the L-07C or L-07CII preamp. Does anyone here have used one ? I would love to hear your comments about it. As you may see in my avatar, thats the one i use with my two L-07MII...
  22. C

Speaker life guard from hi-powered amp ?

My speakers are Kef Concerto (builders kit) and my amps are two Kenwood L0-7 MII (EchoWars remod) that each can deliver 150 watts and more. My speakers will never survive if , by accident of course, they receive such a massive stroke. So i want to insert a kind of protection device between...
  23. C

Low Frequency Limits

First limitation is room size I've always wander if low frequency limits of speakers has any real meaning in a normal home environnement. The lowest note of a piano is 28Hz : that wave needs unobstructed 40.357' to fully develop. How many among us have a lstening room that size? And...
  24. C

KEF 104/2 Midrange Center Pushed in

I often had the same problem with dust caps. Here is a very simple trick that works almost every time : - chew a few good pieces of bubble gum; - roll them into sticky round ball (golf ball size) and, while it is still wet enough, apply it to the dust cap and ... pull gently. It will work...
  25. C

What amplifier and preamp would you buy

Preamp : Audion Premier Quattro Amp : 2 pairs of Mark Levinson ML-2 Speakers : Original full range Apogee
Back
Top Bottom