Search results

1. 6l6gmike

Unusual Tube Tester

I love all the different color knobs and switches. Heck, just clean it up and put it on display.
  2. 6l6gmike

Baxandall Tone Control Quandary

I built that circuit or one similar to it with the 4 triodes from Max's website back in 2011. It had a 1-10hz motorboat problem that would make the woofer move slowly in and out. Many years later Max did post a fix for the motorboating problem but it seems like the fix was also removed from...
  3. 6l6gmike

RIP my Silvertone shop amp

I don't think it's dead, only mostly dead. Order up a similar power transformer from Edcor and call it good. Might have to do a little metal work to cover the large square hole . I did that with the amp in my profile picture. Used 1/8" aluminum sheet from mc master and bolted it in from the...
  4. 6l6gmike

Do any shops do FM tuner alignments anymore? Wisconsin Area

Thanks for all the replies. Its a mono fm unit, no stereo. I think this unit might be over my head. I have been using a old Hickok tube signal generator and I double check the frequency with a 200 mhz digital o scope. It works for the more consumer grade tuners but this one has more problems...
  5. 6l6gmike

I was able to get the AM working on it but not as good as I think it should work. Still no dice on the FM side so its been on the shelf for over a year. Before attempting the AM side I did try to take it to the local Mc dealer and it sat on the Tech’s shelf for a few months. After 2 months I...
  6. 6l6gmike

Thumbs up for Rs Steve

I bought an eico chassis from him for a reasonable cost and he was quick to get it out of the door. Packaging was also done well Mike
  7. 6l6gmike

shop stereo gets a Walnut makeover

I see I am not the only one who wrenches on cars and listens to tubes, didn't think I was. Here is my setup, conn organ amps and a home brew preamp with a switch between the satellite receiver or Bluetooth receiver. Preamp schematic came from fun with tubes website. The amps drive a set of...
  8. 6l6gmike

Replacement Oscilloscope suggestions, my HP180 is failing.

It does do XY but I couldn't get a decent shape with it for sweeping in RF alignments but was able to with an old school analog scope I borrowed from a coworker. Mike.
  9. 6l6gmike

Replacement Oscilloscope suggestions, my HP180 is failing.

The latest scope on my bench has been a Siglent SDS1202X-E I bought it about 2 years ago and have been happy with the performance. It doesn't do XY graphs that well but beyond that it works well. The fan isn't too loud, and the screen is a decent size. I use the measure functions in it all...
  10. 6l6gmike

Bogen RP60 Distortion

On my RP60 one of the PEC's for a filter switch was shorting out a channel creating a muted side. After a lot of frustration I figured it out by unhooking the input to the phase splitter tube and running it straight off a signal generator with load resistors on the outputs and o scope hooked up...
  11. 6l6gmike

Output transformer options in 2021?

I saw Antek is making output transformers again if you wanted to try something different. https://www.antekinc.com/output-transformers/
  12. 6l6gmike

Has anyone had good luck with JJ power tubes?

I have their 6l6gc‘s in an ST70, as an 7355 replacement after a pinout change, and multiple home brew amps without any problems. Some of them are ran hard. I have also used their 6v6 tubes in home brew and factory amps without any problems either. I really like how their 12ax7 sounds. I had...
  13. 6l6gmike

Nicely Updated Dynaco ST-35 or Stock Fisher SA-100?

My humble opinion. Buy the Fisher and do the recommended re-cap. You can always buy a brand new St-35 from Dynakitparts.com but you can’t buy a new Fisher. Edit - In addition the ST-35 is on my "one day I have to have this" list.
  14. 6l6gmike

I recall there is a resistance measurement chart in the photofacts. I will start with that and work on the voltages after that if everything looks good. I monkeyed with the AM side if it was dirty pins I am in trouble or at least maybe another alignment would work.
  15. 6l6gmike

Thank you for the replies. MN would be a bit of a drive, over 8 hours round trip. I am about an hour Southwest of Green Bay. I purchase this unit off BT where it was stated unknown untested condition. Mechanically it is in very nice shape, no rust spots on the chassis, only missing 1 tube...
  16. 6l6gmike

I recently did a restoration on a McIntosh MR55 tuner. The 5 film and 12ish electrolytes were replaced with the dial cord. The tuner capacitor bushings and bearings were also cleaned and lubricated(not the plates). I check all the tubes on my tube tester. Next was the dim bulb test, hooked...
  17. 6l6gmike

An Old Heathkit Chassis finds new life.

I bought the vintage JBL Signature speakers empty. A previous owner sold off all the drivers but I love how they looked so of course I bought them. I built new motor plates which are supporting the DC300 style econowave build. I wasn't sure how much hum and noise would be present with the...
  18. 6l6gmike

An Old Heathkit Chassis finds new life.

I purchased this chassis off barter town this past spring, I couldn't say no. It has the 50's mojo that I can't replicate with modern chassis offerings and it had the cage so I had to have it. I have been living in apartments for the past 2 years so a large amount of metal fabricating is out...
  19. 6l6gmike

Today is the day I try to take my diagnostic skills to the next level. One question.

I see the schematic has a few PEC's listed in it. Here is my story about them. I have a bogen integrated amp that one side had much less volume then the other. Drove me nuts trying to find the problem. This is how I fixed it. If I unhook the input from the driver tubes and drove them with a...
  20. 6l6gmike

Rebuilding Rowe 4359 amplifier

Yes it's a Kevin W's amplifier. I just tried the link myself and I was able to download and view the PDF of the schematic. I did have an instance where the site un-logged me recently when I went to a link so maybe that's it?
  21. 6l6gmike

Rebuilding Rowe 4359 amplifier

This is a good post about EFB in to a 7868 amp with a schematic. The final schematic for the amp is on page 4. https://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/its-spring-time-to-build-an-amp.656354/ The mosfet can be purchased here...
  22. 6l6gmike

Conn Organ 6L6G PPP project

Yea I thought they would produce more power so I double checked all the voltages and they were spot on with the older version of the schematic from post 1. This amp was made for the 6L6G 20 watt tubes as well. With the factory cathode resistor the tubes were bias at 8 watts of dissipation at...
  23. 6l6gmike

So the Conn Amp is done. I did build the amp back to stock, see attached picture of all the new wiring and sockets. I did try the Mosfet screen regulator and the LM337 EFB. Power output increased a little bit but in the end I decided to keep the LM337 EFB for the bias adjustments and put back...
  24. 6l6gmike

So I am leaning towards stock rebuild and then adding in the screen regulator first. Not sure if I can EFB and still have individual bias for each tube due to the paraphase splitter and 2 of the tubes don't have coupling caps to isolate them. Maybe a better solution would be just to add in 1...
  25. 6l6gmike

OK so I ordered all new sockets and chokes to replace the 50ohm 20 watt resistor. We will see how much it drops the voltage. I was planning on replacing those parts on either build style. Gadget, Which EFB syle were you thinking about? The one that uses 2 of the KSA1013 and the screen...
Back
Top Bottom