Search results

1. elitopus

12 outdated technologies that refuse to die - discuss and how many do you use?

I have one of these. Our last house had a smallish front yard. The reel mower did an excellent job cutting the St Augustine grass. My favorite thing about it is I could cut the lawn while the kids played in the yard. And sometimes they would take a few passes with the mower. So easy a 6 year...
  2. elitopus

515B 16ohm vs 515-8G HP

I liked the 817 cabs I had. They had 921 woofers. I regret selling them. I bet they would’ve sounded even better with the 515GHP woofers. I would grab those if the price is right @Drugolf. All of it. I have a single 210 cab but hate to cut it in half. But the odds of finding another single 210...
  3. elitopus

Altec 416-8b recone

Didn't you hear? Bill is working there part time as their secretary now. :biggrin:
  4. elitopus

AR-14 WEDGE INFO

Powered means it has a built in amp. Unpowered means you need a separate amp. Most home HiFi speakers are unpowered.
  5. elitopus

Altec 416-8b recone

Gordon can also recone them with MWA parts if they need a full recone. That’s what he’s used on woofers I’ve sent to him in the past.
  6. elitopus

Altec 416-8b recone

+1 on Gordon W. He can probably fix them and keep most of the original parts intact. That’s where I would send them.
  7. elitopus

Free A7’s (Sort of)

Yeah but it has to come from Mexico now :biggrin:
  8. elitopus

Free A7’s (Sort of)

I tried some of the Chinese diaphragms. The ones I got were not great. It’s been about 10 years though, so maybe they’re better now. I doubt it. Yeah with my Chinese phragms I had to drill out the locating holes in them. GPA still has diaphragms for sale, but you’re going to pay the...
  9. elitopus

King Crimson 1st album - the best version

So what other King Crimson albums are good? And which ones are the most similar to “In the Court of the Crimson King”?
  10. elitopus

Looks like they’ll be coming to Rochester, NY in October also. To the Kodak center. I saw Puscifer there last year and it’s a decent little venue. I’ll see if my oldest daughter wants to go with me. It would be worth it just to see what Danny Carey can do with King Crimson music. I’m a big...
  11. elitopus

New (To Me) Altec Valencia’s

The smaller Altecs definitely have their place. For instance in my living I can’t fit anything bigger than a Valencia or Santana. So I’m using Santana cabs with a 414/32b/EA175 load. There are a pair of Valencia for 6 bills not too far from me. But the seller says the drivers are “blown”. It’s...
  12. elitopus

I watched some of their live performances on YouTube and saw the 3 drumsets. It’s an interesting setup. It’s cool that you got to go see them. Now they’re forming a kind of tribute band with some original members and also Steve Vai and Danny Carey. It’s called Beat. They’ll play all King...
  13. elitopus

New (To Me) Altec Valencia’s

Hell yeah brother. Are you planning to devane the horns or leave them as-is? I have a pair of diaphragms with repaired leads that I’ve been using for years since the repair. They’re still going strong. Well, they still work at least :)
  14. elitopus

I got my 40th anniversary edition of Court of the Crimson King on Friday. I listened to it yesterday and it sounds good. I don’t have any other physical versions to compare it to of course. What I’ve been listening to is a low res version from online. And the CD sounds better than that. I’ve...
  15. elitopus

Caffeine.

I’ve tried the Folgers gourmet supreme and black silk. Are those considered their premium roasts?
  16. elitopus

Caffeine.

Folgers isn’t bad. Not my preferred coffee but definitely drinkable. I even like some of the cheaper coffees like Cafe Bustelo, Pilon, and Cafe La Llava.
  17. elitopus

Speaker buyer mileage award!

You got me beat. The farthest someone drove to buy speakers from me was from Texas to Florida. And the farthest I ever drove was from Florida to South Carolina. The speakers were Altec 817.
  18. elitopus

Speakers with questionable "upgrades"... post your findings here.

JBL 4646. Not sure if that’s the 2206 driver with a “custom” cone? Anyways, interesting
  19. elitopus

Ok I just bought the 40th anniversary edition. The price difference between that one and the regular post 2004 CD was only $7. And the 40th anniversary has multiple versions of each song it looks like. I’ll see how it sounds in like a week when it arrives ;)
  20. elitopus

Speakers with questionable "upgrades"... post your findings here.

Ad says “completely assembled by hand” And some modified HPM60
  21. elitopus

My vinyl setup is in long term storage right now. I’m setup for CDs at the moment. I’m going to try the 2004 original master edition and see how I like it. CDs are cheap so it’s worth a shot. From what it sounds like any CD after 2004 will have the original master editions on it. So the 40th...
  22. elitopus

So it looks like I need to find a 2004 or newer copy. I appreciate the info.
  23. elitopus

There’s one I’m looking at that’s from 2009. It comes with a CD and DVD. I thought that was the latest version, but I swore I read something about a 2019 version also.
  24. elitopus

I want to get King Crimson “In the court of the Crimson King” on CD. I’m curious which version sounds the best. From what I’ve read, the original recording had some issues over the years. From an imbalance problem, to noise on the recording. The original masters were lost, and then at some...
  25. elitopus

Canton LE-170 crossovers blew up

I’ve listened to music at quite a few peoples houses that didn’t seem to know what distortion sounded like. Or maybe their ears were so jacked up that they couldn’t hear it. We come back to the old Cerwin Vega ad “loud is beautiful… if it’s clean”.
Back
Top Bottom