Search results

1. elitopus

King Crimson best version

I want to get King Crimson “In the court of the Crimson King” on CD. I’m curious which version sounds the best. From what I’ve read, the original recording had some issues over the years. From an imbalance problem, to noise on the recording. The original masters were lost, and then at some...
  2. elitopus

Simmons Titan 50 drum set

I’m looking at one of these. About $500 with the holiday discounts. Anyone had one or used one? https://www.guitarcenter.com/Simmons/Titan-50-Expanded-Electronic-Drum-Kit-With-Mesh-Pads-and-Bluetooth-1500000382549.gc A little history. I’ve had a cheap electronic set in the past. I liked it...
  3. elitopus

Altec 879a in Rochester

No affiliation. 300 bucks. https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/737091620181440/?mibextid=6ojiHh
  4. elitopus

Salvaging wire for crossover coils

I build a lot of passive crossovers. The most expensive parts are the coils. And there are only a few decent sources for them. I know how to wind a coil, and I’m not interested in paying for new magnet wire. It’s almost as expensive as just buying a Dayton etc coil. I’m interested in where...
  5. elitopus

Altec 9849 inspired build

A few years ago I built some speakers that used an Altec 414b woofer and a Renkus SSD-1400 on a small Dayton horn. I ran the woofer full range and crossed the horn over high with a single cap. The cabinets were too small for the 414, but the bass wasn’t terrible I’ve had those speakers in...
  6. elitopus

JBL 2225 dustcap and Ts question

I just got a pair of 2225H. I got them cheap because one needs a new dustcap. It has a pretty big hole in it. So I have two questions. Are the 4.125” dustcaps the correct size for these? Im thinking I’ll go ahead and remove and replace both dustcaps. So I can get rid of the vent foam. Seems...
  7. elitopus

JBL 2” throat HF drivers

I’m interested in getting a pair of large format JBL drivers for my JBL 2360 horns. I’m curious what the differences are between the 2445, 2446, and 2450. Sonically I mean. I know the 2445/2446 use a ferrite magnet, and the 2450 is neo. Also I’m curious about using the Radian 1245 diaphragms...
  8. elitopus

Altec MR64 tar coating

I went and picked up a pair of Altec MR64, and JBL 2360 horns today. The coating on the MR64 is flaking off. I’m wondering what I can replace it with that’s close to the factory texture. I know there are other things to coat/dampen the horn with that won’t look factory. I don’t want to do that...
  9. elitopus

JBL 2225 cone kit in Peavey 1505

I recently picked up a pair of JBL SR4715 cabs that were loaded with Peavey BW1505 woofers. One of the woofers is strange. From the front the woofer looks like a 2225/2226. The cone is marked 2225-1 in pencil, and cone is stamped 22251 04-338 on the back. So my question is, is it possible to...
  10. elitopus

G-791 versus SR4732

I’m looking at a pair of speakers. They look like SR4732, but are labeled G-791. The spec info from JBL shows the G-791 as an add on horn. So what’s the deal here? Maybe someone swapped in a pair of input panels from a pair of G-791? Or is something else going on. I’m not super familiar with...
  11. elitopus

Acoustic Research AR-8B for 8 bucks in Syracuse, NY

No affiliation. These little guys are probably worth the refoam cost. https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/177944131902440/?mibextid=6ojiHh
  12. elitopus

Florida themed KLH Model 24

I’ve been sorting through my audio hoard lately. Selling off stuff I’m never going to use. Honestly some of the gear I have I’ve never even really listened to. I’ll get some gear as freebies as part of a package deal, and do a quick test to see if it works. Then into the pile it goes. That’s...
  13. elitopus

Tuner to match Technics SU-7700

Are there any other tuners that match the Technics SU-7700? I know the ST-7300 does. I’d prefer something that has the wood case like the SU-7700 does. It seems that very few of the ST-7300 have the wood case. Thanks
  14. elitopus

OLA bracing

At around what S/N did they start putting bracing in the OLA? I’ve had half a dozen pairs over the years but haven’t paid much attention. I’m working on two pairs of utility OLA right now. First pair is S/N 89,xxx and the second pair is S/N 236,xxx. The later pair has vertical mdf braces in...
  15. elitopus

Pioneer 66-47F tweeter alternate

I’m working on a pair of CS-33 (original, non-A versions) speakers. One of the 66-47F tweeters is open. There are not any available used right now, but there are a bunch of PT-257C. Does anyone know if this is a suitable alternate? I’m also open to other tweeters that would fit the speakers...
  16. elitopus

Toshiba/Aurex SS-510 speakers

I’m looking for some info on a pair of speakers. I don’t own these and can’t take them apart to see for myself. Speakers were made under both the Aurex and Toshiba brand. The cabs I’m looking at have real wood veneer. For scale, the woofer is 10”. Anyone heard a pair of these? Know what...
  17. elitopus

Norelco twin cone FRS info

Is this a factory Norelco cab? This is for sale a ways from me. Actually close to a relative who could grab it for me if it’s anything good. They want 100 bucks. Cab looks kind of cool Is it one of these inside?
  18. elitopus

How much do the Dynaco SS preamps sound like the early Hafler stuff?

I have a couple Hafler DH100 and a DH101. I like the way they sound. So how does something like a Dynaco PAT 4 or 5 sound in comparison? I like that there are so many mods/upgrades that can be done to them... Is it worth it to pick up one cheap to play around with?
  19. elitopus

Best aftermarket Altec recone kit

I have some various Altec woofers I want to recone. Some I’ll send off to member GordonW for a pro job, but at least a pair I want to do myself. So I’m looking at recone kits from different vendors. This would be a 416a/b style kit. Options are Simply speakers Speaker exchange...
  20. elitopus

What modern drivers like the Altec 802/902?

I know this is the Lansing forum, but I also think of it as the DIY horn forum. So this question deals with both. I have some of the older Altec and similar horn drivers. Altec 802D/802G Emilar EA175/EC175 Renkus SSD-1400, 1800, 1801 JBL 2425 Probably something else I’m forgetting I’m...
  21. elitopus

AR2x info

There’s a pair of speakers for sale semi locally that the guy is calling AR2x. But maybe they’re AR2ax. Is there a way to tell if they’re the 2 way or 3 way version? I’d like the version that has a cone mid and dome tweeter. My understanding is there is an AR2 that has two mids and a woofer...
  22. elitopus

Sony CDP-590 issues

I got this CD player for free. I want to get it up and running for my shed stereo system. Here’s what going on. The CD door will open but not close. If I close the door manually the disc will spin but not play. The display then says “no disc”. After taking the top cover off, and loosening...
  23. elitopus

Technics SB4500a Seneca Falls, NY

Technics SB4500a in Seneca Falls. Seller wants 20 bucks for them. I’m over 80 miles away and am not making the drive. I’m not sure how these compare to the other speakers in the SB line. If they’re anything like my SB7000a, they sound decent. No affiliation...
  24. elitopus

Wharfedale W90D

So I found this pair on Facebook marketplace. I picked them up untested. The woofers and mids (are they really tweeters?) work fine. The cabinets are in really good shape, with the exception of one back panel has some separation on the outer layer of plywood. I should be able to glue that back...
  25. elitopus

Recording Studio Design “RSD” Studiomaster 800c amplifier

I got this RSD Studiomaster 800c amp yesterday as part of a package deal. I’ve read that it’s a copy of the Phase Linear PL400. This amp uses XLR connectors for both input and output. All on the front of the amp. I think if I wanted to use it for real I’d change out the XLR on the output side...
Back
Top Bottom