Search results

1. doctorbongo

Issues with two CD Players

Thanks, jdurbin1 and coonmanx. John, I found the fuses. There are six of them under a wiring cluster. One was blown. Replaced it and checked the mechanism. The drawer opened and closed, but with the cover off, the CD select buttons didn't activate (which I'm guessing is because of the brass...
  2. doctorbongo

I have an extensive audio collection (including at least a 8 CD/DVD decks) and am narrowing it to a handful of favorites, manxman. These are two that are expendable. The HK sounded quite good, so if it works, I'll likely give it to my son. I agree with your criticisms on the sound of the...
  3. doctorbongo

I have start-up problems with two players Adcom GCD-600--Displays -64 when the On button is pushed, then ERROR. Carriage door will not open when button is pushed. Harman Kardon FL-8450 --Goes to error message. Carriage door opens. Took off covers of both units and didn't find any CDs in...
  4. doctorbongo

The Great Weight Loss Challenge -08

Was at 197 when this started. At 182 today. Lots of serious tennis, sensible eating, trying to stay out of the car and on my legs or bike when possible.
  5. doctorbongo

Sansui 350A photos

When you look at how much is going on under the hood, it's amazing they work after operating for a decade or two, every day, then sitting for a decade or two, every day. Picked one up at the GW for 15 bux. missing the speaker control switch, but sounds like it's worth the work to fix that...
  6. doctorbongo

Help Audiokarma celebrate 5 years and learn how to win 500.00 worth of prizes !

Hello, My name is Dennis, and Nate has an audio problem... which spilled over into every part of my house.
  7. doctorbongo

Joe Zawinul/Weather Report

Love Weather Report. Don't know if they ever put out a bad album, but there's no sign of it on the 5 or 6 I own.
  8. doctorbongo

Appalling audio quality ruins the concert!

Don't remember very many large venue shows that didn't sound like garbage. One exception was The Who on the Quadrophenia Tour at the Pepsi Center (the one in Denver--apparently Pepsi has a lot of money, enough in fact to name arenas in several cities.) A large block of speakers were suspended...
  9. doctorbongo

Who's your favorite Beatle?

In order for me: Harrison Lennon McCartney Starr I think most guitarists believe George is just dandy, thank you. Ringo was the perfect drummer for that band. While he never did anything earthshattering, he did exactly what they needed: kept perfect time (which is fairly important, for...
  10. doctorbongo

Altec 1590c?

I have a chance to make my introduction to tube technology with an Altec-Lansing 1590c. I've been excited about the prospect of finding something to mate to my Klipsch speakers. It supplies 200W (mono), and is affordable at $100. I'm ignorant of this realm, so I have some questions to...
  11. doctorbongo

SCORE of the week!!! Crown Amps

Sounds like RAW POWER to me, Simi. Nice nonstandard score!
  12. doctorbongo

Nice Cable Ad

That's a great ad. Simple concept, clean execution. Touch of sex to attract the eye. I love the theme. Your significant other blows a lot of money on things you don't understand, so why shouldn't you spend some cash on whatever you want?
  13. doctorbongo

What's the Loudest?

Collective Soul Dosage comes on as disk 3 of 5, and I about jump out of my chair. I'm sure my neighbors hear it too, when the windows are open. It's half again as loud as about anything else in the player.
  14. doctorbongo

The Great AK Weight Loss Challenge - 07

Yes, Ross. I am not a doctor, but I arbitrarily annointed myself the title in my screenname. I advise you to at least stem the tide. I know part of my problem is I've been spoiled by a lifetime of being able to eat (and drink) pretty much whatever I wanted, because I had the lifestyle and...
  15. doctorbongo

What is the most haunting piece you've ever heard?

"Monster Mash" by Bobby 'Boris' Pickett and the Cryptkickers. It's even more haunting seeing as he died a couple of months ago.
  16. doctorbongo

original Designers

Some of the guys here will know, but seeing as he was a visionary and obviously attentive to detail, how involved was Saul Marantz in micromanaging the design and production of Marantz products? Based on Helmut's description, the whole notion of buying products made in one's home country has...
  17. doctorbongo

I just don't know anymore......

I agree with the point that really HEARING great music requires focus. I was listening to some of the classical composers everyone is familiar with, and some of their most famous works. I have a mixed CD of Mozart pieces. Some were light. Others required me to pay attention to pick up the...
  18. doctorbongo

The Great AK Weight Loss Challenge - 07

Well, I've managed to alter my weight by .5 pounds. That's right. I've gained a half pound. I'm at 193. Had it under 190, but once a week is not enough. Doesn't matter if it's walking 4 miles each way to work and back, or playing a 3-hour tennis doubles mixer. Gotta do something every...
  19. doctorbongo

Make your final Sopranos Prediction!!!

I don't think the producers of "The Sopranos" are thinking about dvd sales when they write the show. Then again, that's probably just wishful thinking. I was thinking maybe Michael kills Tony, whether accidently or intentionally. Michael's gears don't quite mesh, he's a psychopath, and we saw...
  20. doctorbongo

can you teach a cat anything?

Cats can be taught how to catch mice, presuming they have been taught there is no food in the bowl. They easily learn to be entirely indifferent to the person who fills the food bowl. They are adept at learning how to distrust dogs. The bigger the dog, the faster they learn.
  21. doctorbongo

Anti-drink driving slogans

We had a kid die in an auto accident here last week. Five occupants. Driver was hotdogging and flipped/rolled the car going over a bump in the road by the river. They reportedly expressed wild impulses in their myspace pages, but were sober that night. All five graduated from hi skool on the...
  22. doctorbongo

Anti-drink driving slogans

Driving sober kills, too. Driving kills. Cars kill. Especially when they come equipped with drivers.
  23. doctorbongo

Where the poor folks at?

My primary receiver cost $4. It's a marantz, but it still cost $4. My AR speakers cost $35, and I won't bore you with the pricetags on my entire system, but suffice it to say you can have a lot of fun in this hobby without a lot of money.
  24. doctorbongo

Go Mariners!!!

Any time the Yankees lose, it's good for baseball. I hope Clemens has an ERA of about 12, but they won't stop pitching him because that's how many dollars they spent on his selfish butt for half a season.
  25. doctorbongo

Go Mariners!!!

Vaht??? You vont dem back in Milvahkee, do you???
Back
Top Bottom