Search results

1. DerekRI

Going through some RS 1.5's for a friend. Some novice questions.

Thanks for all the help on this. I forgot to update! While doing additional testing with my friend's amp (with my own speakers), I finally caught an instance of it surging in volume and distorting, ruling out my buddy's RS's as the culprit. I did some heavy cleaning on the amp, and reflowed the...
  2. DerekRI

Thanks again for the advice! I did test the woofers, mids, and tweeters individually, and they all seemed to be within spec. The tweeters were both around 2.8-2.9 ohms, both voice coils on each woofer tested good, and the mids tested good as well, although one does look like it may be a...
  3. DerekRI

Thank you for the tips! I will definitely be checking the electrolytics in the circuit, are any of them more prone to failure than others? Also, I didn't mean to imply that one speaker is good. One tested at 8 Megaohms, the other tested completely open, so neither seem to be in proper order.
  4. DerekRI

Hey everyone! So, my friend is having some problems with his stereo cutting out / volume fluctuating, and I told him I'd look into it for him, as the novice to this hobby that I am. I do have his amp to look at as well, but in this thread I'm only diagnosing the speakers. I've recapped /...
  5. DerekRI

Help! Doing my first full board recap, and getting confused ordering!

Oh wow and I just saw your most recent post! I will definitely scroll through and browse those, thank you.
  6. DerekRI

You have my gratitude once again! I did some testing per the manual today, and the constant voltage circuit is right where it should be, which eliminates Tr1, Tr2, and ZD1 from being defective. Instead, it points the fault at the 3-phase switching circuit, or the oscillator circuit, which is Tr3...
  7. DerekRI

Wow, thank you so much for the detailed response! Knowing the different types of caps and their ideal uses is definitely something new to me, so I really appreciate the descriptions. The voltage regulator transistors are indeed good candidates to inspect, Tr1 Tr2 Tr3 and Tr4 are often related to...
  8. DerekRI

Thank you, I'll make sure everything is nice, clean, and lubricated!
  9. DerekRI

Thanks for all the responses and advice! eiraved, this turntable was working, and then the motor just wouldn't start up one day. It is direct drive, and has no automatic features, so old grease really isn't an issue on this one. I know that a motor that isn't spinning could be a few...
  10. DerekRI

That is a good observation, and I'm now wondering if it is related to the circled "M" that is next to the capacitors on the schematic... because that icon only seems to be next to the ones that don't have a voltage value. Does it mean it should be rated for the voltage of the motor, since an...
  11. DerekRI

Good point, I only wrote down all the values from the board and haven't cross checked the types. Thank you for the advice on those other sites! I will get the list more accurate, and then check them out. Another question about the schematic in the manual is that many of the caps have an M...
  12. DerekRI

I'm trying to bring my old Technics SL-1500 back to life, and I figure a good place to start is replacing all the electrolytics on the board. I've done crossovers before, but never a full board. I've got many other tables here, so I figured this one would be my first attempt, since it's already...
  13. DerekRI

Need help ordering components for NLA rebuild.

Ok, thanks again!
  14. DerekRI

Okay, awesome! Thanks for the help, I finally have an order together! Do you do the soldering inside the speaker cabinet when you work on these?
  15. DerekRI

Okay, thank you! And what is the general rule of thumb when you can't find the exact value of the component you need? Aim high / low / closest available value?
  16. DerekRI

Hello all! I was recently gifted a pair of New Large Advents, in rough shape. Now, I can't let these speakers pass through my hands without attempting to repair them and hear their sound! I've recapped speakers before, so the technical application side is not where I need help, but more on the...
  17. DerekRI

AVID thread

They looked to be in good condition, but I will double check! Thanks for the suggestion!
  18. DerekRI

AVID thread

Copying this from the speaker forum! So I've had a couple pairs of AVIDs for a while that were given to me by a friend. A set of 102s and a set of 230s. When I got them, I hooked them up and was... underwhelmed. I put them aside until I could do a recap. I just got around to recapping the...
  19. DerekRI

Tweeters for AVID Model 230...

Just finished recapping the 102s! Very nice! Still, I want to get the 230s functioning 100% so I can take advantage of that sweet mid range!
  20. DerekRI

Tweeters for AVID Model 230...

So I've had a couple pairs of AVIDs for a while that were given to me by a friend. A set of 102s and a set of 230s. When I got them, I hooked them up and was... underwhelmed. I put them aside until I could do a recap. I just got around to recapping the 230's, and it did clean up the sound a good...
  21. DerekRI

Question on setting up AT-110e on Technics 1200.

ranch_22b, that's an interesting point. I'm using the mat from my SL-1500 so I'm not sure if it's the proper thickness, although it does seem quite thick. Thanks for all the advice, everyone! Much appreciated! Obscured By Clouds is going on the table now, and the windows are open in my place...
  22. DerekRI

Yes, that's where it's set now. I'm asking if the position looks good to more experienced users, since I was told the cartridge should be about level with the record, and this is at a slight angle. I'm going to just assume it's good to go since it sounds full and clear :)
  23. DerekRI

Okay, here's a picture. Another question about the VTA, is that the stylus body and the cartridge body have different angles. I assumed I was trying to level the stylus body, because leveling the cartridge seems impossible at that angle. The angle in the photo is set up to the specs of the...
  24. DerekRI

Very interesting points! I am using a Technics 1200 MK2, but the headshell is from a Technics SL-Q202. I didn't even think that there may be a difference. The protractor is from enjoythemusic.com. The tone arm is slightly tail up (if I'm understanding the question correctly). Like I said, I...
  25. DerekRI

Okay, thanks for the tips! I have repositioned the cartridge to the 52mm spec, which meant pulling it back a few mm. It now doesn't *quite* line up with the protractor I've been using, but it's only a couple mm off in the second position. I also tried to dial-in the anti-skate using a...
Back
Top Bottom