Search results

1. dewdude

I feel like I'm back in Algebra class and the teacher just introduced the imaginary number . . .

I would like to see a technical specification that says genuine streaming is off an appliance.
  2. dewdude

DAC sample rate and bit depth?

Upsampling was handy when we had lousy DAC builds and limited connectivity. I have a USB 1.1 DAC that if I want to use 96khz I have to disable input and specifically flip it in to 96khz mode. The problem with this is the TI controller won't do less than 88.2 in 96 mode....so I had to force...
  3. dewdude

Happy Birthday dewdude!

Thanks everyone. I had a very relaxing day of doing very little.
  4. dewdude

Windows based Media Server: Experiences & Insights

Since I only hear about RCE and various other exploits after they've been published....I'll give an example. Let's say there was an exploit for FLAC decoders that allowed you to do what most overflow exploits do...break something and then execute some arbitrary code. Let's say that code wants...
  5. dewdude

Actually there's a large number of reasons you don't want to. some of them not published yet.
  6. dewdude

I think this is the worst piece of advice I've seen in this thread...right above disabling anti-virus. At no point in the modern world should anyone ever consider disabling those. If those are a problem...then maybe Windows isn't for you.
  7. dewdude

AK Mid-Atlantic AK Fall Gathering October 15th, 2023

Thanks again Jim for hosting. It was great seeing everyone. I did manage to catch one that wasn't of Jim's system:
  8. dewdude

I had it last month. Feel better
  9. dewdude

I would assume. Bring some. I bought all the stuff to make coleslaw and the last person that knows grandmaw's dressing recipe is making me some.
  10. dewdude

I have 5x10TB HGST drives in a USB3 enclosure giving me a 36TB array after parity. This is hooked up to a Celeron N5090 with 8GB ram. Alpine Linux distro doing software RAID, nfs and SMB. That itself is actually running in a xcp-ng(Xen) virtual machine because I want the extra 20MB/s off the...
  11. dewdude

Issue w SABA MT 201 Tuner

It seems that would require a transformer swap.
  12. dewdude

Capital Audio Fest, Nov 10-12, 2023 - Rockville MD

I don't have any intentions of attending the fest; but that area is "local" for me, so I wouldn't mind meeting people.
  13. dewdude

It's one of those things I've had to deal with in the old job. Someone's pinball machine acts up when you fire all the flippers and before you go rebuilding the power supply...you check the AC input. A drop of just 3V on a pinball machine's AC line (117 vs 120) will cause all of it's secondary...
  14. dewdude

I'm going to go a different direction: It could have been a power dip. I had problems last year...year before...with the power in the house. My DAC "died" twice after flickers...fuse blew in the power supply. So when I bought a UPS for my servers I spent the extra on one that's "line...
  15. dewdude

Conical stylus = more wear?

The only time I ever worried too much about the stylus was on old records that I knew were played on cheap equipment in the 60's/70s. In those cases...the ones that got deeper in the groove sometimes avoided the wear.
  16. dewdude

Anti virus software for Windows 10 - any recommendations?

For the home user, MS Defender is literally all you need...especially with the way modern Windows protects critical system files and isolates everything. In fact...Defender is probably the only thing that can actually protect your computer to the level required since Windows is VERY picky how...
  17. dewdude

So I looked through the thread and noticed the absence of @ghazzer who hasn't been online in several weeks. Hopefully it's nothing too serious. So not to steal his thunder but since this is quickly approaching, I've compiled a list of who has said what they're bringing so far; as well as a...
  18. dewdude

I got good news, depending on how you look at it... My Lynchburg trip canceled this morning, and it only took half a second for my still-waking-up caffeine-less brain to realize what I was doing instead. So... looks like I will be making the trek up to see everyone next Sunday. I'll look...
  19. dewdude

Audio issues with Springsteen's High Hopes

Yeah. Audition used to *years* ago have an option to automatically convert to 32-bit float on open; but when you didn't your plugins usually spit out 32-float and it indicated such. Newer versions...don't. They keep this completely hidden from you. I either have to tell it to convert to 32-bit...
  20. dewdude

For the longest time it was only something you saw if working with audio files in production or editing. Audio processing effects, for example, will operate in 32-bit (or more) floating point; my multi-track software "mixes in 32-bit" floating point. It's what you want in the studio. It allows...
  21. dewdude

Taylor Swift is gonna ruin football for me.

No, I however know a lot of people who were. They've told stores; what happened is documented. I don't know why you think that would have mattered. That's not how eminent domain works. That would have been something they would have had to deal with after the fact. I mean...if the NFL owners...
  22. dewdude

Taylor Swift is gonna ruin football for me.

I think Baltimore and the State of MD deciding they wanted to STEAL the Colts from the owner is more egregious. Like with the stroke of a pen they decided they had the legal right to own the team without compensation? At that point Baltimore didn't deserve the Colts.
  23. dewdude

I'm confused....are you playing from Foobar2000 through ASIO, or you are rendering on something else and just using Foobar2000 as a UPnP source. If you're just streaming to another device...then the output device on Foobar doesn't matter. Is foobar converting it? Is 32-bit float involved...
Back
Top Bottom