Search results

1. Jayrosc

Still looking for contact with Bob Speece (He's STILL got my gear!)

I've asked this before a couple years ago but gotta ask again. Anyone know what's up with Bob Speece? Former upstate NY Marantz fixer that still has my receiver. Don't wanna be grim, but if he's toast I'd like to know. Best case, I'd get my unit back.
  2. Jayrosc

Marantz 250 Restoration recommendation

Anyone got a Bob Speece update? He's had a Marantz of mine for 4 years....
  3. Jayrosc

Crutchfield gives vintage gear a black eye

Crutchfield is devoted to making it sound like the old stuff sucks....... https://www.crutchfield.com/learn/vintage-vs-modern-stereo.html
  4. Jayrosc

Yikes. Okay. Just read that thread. Seems as though he's been making an effort recently to get things done. That said, I live right nearby Bob's place in NY and was shocked to see that he has apparently moved to West Virginia. Not sure what to say about him taking my unit down there. He's had it...
  5. Jayrosc

Hi all, Bob is a great Marantz fixer and he's done a couple things for me, but I've been unable to reach him of late. Starting to worry a bit about him. His handle here is wlhd1610
  6. Jayrosc

Design-wise, do these speakers look to large for our room?

Perhaps not too big, but the real distraction is the black grills. I have a pair of Boston A150's that are as big as yours but I changed the grills from black to tan and it did lots. I'll bet when your tv is on those speakers disappear though.
  7. Jayrosc

Recap of my old speakers SO disappointing!

I ruined a pair of JBL L26's with a recap. Unlistenable.
  8. Jayrosc

Will KLH Model 6 woofer work in Model 5?

Yeah, thanks for the info. I actually already tried the stuff from roy C but DID NOT clean the surrounds first with toluene. That's why they are still stiff. That said, are you saying the woofers in the model 23 are the same as those in the model 5? I've got a set of 23's here as well. I'd...
  9. Jayrosc

Will KLH Model 6 woofer work in Model 5?

So I've had a great working set of KLH Model 6's that look awful. Recently found a great looking pair Model 5's but the cloth surrounds on the woofers are a bit stiff so bass is a little lackluster. Was gonna take the woofers out of the 6's and put them in the 5's but just now saw they are...
  10. Jayrosc

Why are vintage speaker prices so high right now?

Thanks for posting this. Starting to think I was the only one in this predicament. I'm not even trying to sell my stuff anymore. Allison, JBL, A/D/S, KLH, Klipsch. All in great sounding and looking condition. Not giving them away to low ballers and that's who nibbles at the listings!
  11. Jayrosc

Struggling to overcome my loudness addiction

It's been a monkey on my back for years. I love the thick bass and bright treble every day when I turn my rig on. But, in my heart, I know that there might be a better path. All I need do is turn off the loudness switch and enjoy a different type of fidelity. I've tried, but most days, after a...
  12. Jayrosc

Kenwood KA-3500 Nice Surprise

Hey Mayank, I just got a KA-3500 and it sounds great after a little deoxit to get rid of the scratchy sounds in the volume control. Thinking of putting a little time and money in this unit but your post scares me. Are you saying the output transistors are unobtainium? Seems like there's no point...
  13. Jayrosc

Setting the Bias on a reciever?

Just got a Kenwood KA-3500 and it seems to work great. Found some info that talked about setting the bias on this thing. Seems to be a simple turn of the screw, but can anyone tell me about how important this is? As I say, it sounds really god right now. What is "bias"?
  14. Jayrosc

Great AR2A Resto?

Agreed. Whoever did it knew what they were doing. Much brighter sound than original 2A's. Had to dial back the mids like someone on this thread suggested. Playing them know. They've got a rock speaker sound to them. Jeff Beck's "Wired" LP sounds great. One of these days I'll pull a couple...
  15. Jayrosc

Great AR2A Resto?

For what it's worth, I hooked these up and they sound really good. Plus I have a use for them. With the nice looking retro grills and cabinets I can put these to use in my MCM vibe airbnb where I have a nice vinyl set up. They have the right look and it won't kill me if the get damaged. Happy...
  16. Jayrosc

Elac questions.

Ah ha. That's good to hear. May have lucked out with these. I've never heard of them but seem very well built.
  17. Jayrosc

Great AR2A Resto?

Thanks. This and three other Elac's were tossed into the deal too.
  18. Jayrosc

Elac questions.

I just acquired no less than four Elacs! Two 50 H's and a pair of 50 H ll's. One of the 50 H's turns out to be a plug and play and it is working flawlessly right now. But here's the thing. There is no ground wire on the unit and it doesn't appear to need one. That said, one of the 50 H ll's does...
  19. Jayrosc

Great AR2A Resto?

So I now know I've inherited someone's hobby project. The only thing AR about these is indeed the cabinet. Just checked and they read 5 ohms across the terminals so I think it's safe to hook them up to see how they sound but I don't think these are sticking around here very long. Good news is...
  20. Jayrosc

Great AR2A Resto?

yeah i'm aware the drivers are not original. was hoping someone recognized the new ones and could say if they are acceptable replacements .
  21. Jayrosc

Great AR2A Resto?

Hello. Been awhile since I've been here enjoying this hobby due to some health issues but I'm pleased to say that I've come back with much happiness. So, this weekend I was doing what I love, which is haunting yard sales in search of cool vintage stereo stuff. Lo and behold, I stumbled upon this...
  22. Jayrosc

1960's-1970's stereo console thread or discussion forum?

Consoles are friggin' awesome. Period. Full stop. Tube ones are the best that I can recall and If I ever see one available for the right price I'm gonna grab it. Sure, they all need work but that's the deal with most anything right? I grew up listening to Deep Purple, Zep, Humble Pie, etc...
  23. Jayrosc

Many Many Good Set Ups?

Been at this hobby a long time. It occurred to me today that there's a Sh@T Load of speakers, receivers, turntables and such that have come through here and most are really really good. Made me wonder. Is it possible that getting a great system is easier than I first thought? The NHT Super Zero/...
  24. Jayrosc

JBL L100's: Now I get it.

Nice to see a response to my post from days gone by. Cut to present day: The L100's I had have been sold and I'm now enjoying a nice pair of 4311's, which I think are considered the "pro model" of the L100. Right now Rick Derringer rips out his solo on "rock and roll hootchie too" and it is just...
  25. Jayrosc

Is my vintage receiver underpowered for JBL speakers?

going all the way back to the original question on this thread. I had the exact same set up a couple years ago. Those JBL's are golden and that receiver runs them is just great.
Back
Top Bottom