Search results

1. Rootix

B&W DM3 Any Info Would Be Great!

Hi all, Good to see DM3s having wide interest out there nowadays. It’s for sure one of the most exciting models made by B&W. If you study available documentation then it will become apparent that tweeters are not Celestion HF1300, but HF1400 (unobtanium). I am not sure of tonal differences...
  2. Rootix

AU-G77X: Your thoughts

It looks like all those Sansui expert statements do not make any sense here. D77X seems to be often compared to 717 etc, but really should be compared to comperitor's offer available in the market at a time. This approach would anable you to revise your opinion about amps such as D77X. Yes it is...
  3. Rootix

SX-450 vs. SX-650 Value-wise

Hi all. True the 650 beats 450 in all aspects spec wise and sound wise, but there is something about the 450 you want to listen too, same applies to 424, 434, 300, 440 etc. Those units produce much less refined sound, but more musical. I wouldn’t agree with pioneer statement that all x50 series...
  4. Rootix

Wharfedale purple tweeter replacement

It looks like a vintage post, but let me share some experience as I restored quite a few of those old Wharfies. There are no contemporary replacement tweeters which will be able to sound similar. Those jellyfish units were superb at their time and also more capable than other units frequency...
  5. Rootix

Akai AM-2250/TM-2250?

AM 2250, bottom line amp, but this is 70's AKAI. Sounds excellent, unusually large stage, best midrange ever, very tidy throughout the frequency range, controls speakers very well and may surprise with detail even demanding ears. Assembly does not spell savings in any compartment at all what is...
  6. Rootix

Which Pioneer amp produces best sound Pioneer SA 5300 / 5500 II / 6300 / 6500 II ?

All Pioneer SX and SA units manufactured before lets say 1979 are super solid performers. 8000 and 9000 series will require quite significant listening room dimensions, if you can afford such especially here in the UK you can surely afford to pay £1k for your desired unit. If you dwell in...
  7. Rootix

6N3P-E and 6N3P-EV tubes question!

Just to clarify 6n3 was not created as a sound processing unit and EV version were to be found under MiG 21/23 cockpit. Tubes were good enough to be used by TL Audio (Fatman) as preamp components. I got a quad of 6n3P-EV by Electro-Technica, NOS made back 1983 to roll stocks (Shuaguang) in...
  8. Rootix

Yaqin mc84l

Lovely amp, possibly the best value for money in the HiFi world ever. I have been playing around with rolling and advice to do the same, It is sort of a create your own pizza deal. I bought the amp with tubes already rolled to Electro Harmonix 12ax7s and JJ/ Tesla EL84s, the sound is astonishing...
  9. Rootix

Sony STR-6050

Hi there. It's an old post, but still can help many people. Answering original question, switch from SX-424 to Str 6050 is a fair upgrade. Steps back a generation as mentioned by David, but to much higher level. The Sony sounds ultimately sweet and round, if any manufacturer was ever close to...
  10. Rootix

Pioneer SSA-40??

SAA 400 is a dark face version of SA 5300, probably military edition. The sound is good, but with efficient speakers only as the amp is 10 wpc into 8 Ohms. Regards
  11. Rootix

Marantz R-1270 - need advice

Hi all, I have recently scored Superscope R-1270 with black front on Ebay for sensible coin. While awaiting for its arrival I have done my research on that receiver, whole series and finally even got to Superscope company profile and history. Back in 70's Marantz branded products sold to more...
  12. Rootix

It all simply does not exist.

It all simply does not exist.
  13. Rootix

Leak speakers

I own a pair of Leak 3030. Good,classic, british speakers with slightly warmish colorisation. Highs laid back a little bit, but great mid compartment. Bass is potentialy there, but only with bassy amplification. Speakers meant to esthetically match Delta series amps. Quality situation similar...
  14. Rootix

new vintage bedroom system

If this is your first vintage receiver and you like it looks and sound just imagine trying other vintage receivers, amps etc. :angel:
  15. Rootix

problem sansui au-919 channel cutting off

Hi, You may want to determine if you can find protection relays inside the amp. You can hear characteristic click after engaging power switch to position. They are usually tagged "Omron" when you look inside. If this is the case then delicately open plastic casing and clean contacts.
  16. Rootix

Two words say it:

Get Schwifty.... ;)
  17. Rootix

Can anyone identify these IMF s

TLS80, pure Brits, HF1300 tweets, goodmans mids and famous Kef's bass drivers. Enjoy them. Pro monitor will do as well, but there is no technical difference just veneer front or lack of it.
  18. Rootix

What are you Listening To Right Now? - and more

Bunny Wailer - Another Dance :beatnik: :bowdown:
  19. Rootix

Scott Stereomaster 260 b/13 Solis State Stereo Amp advice please!

Hi all, I have acquired 260b some time ago and by now I am pretty sure that I would stay in this relationship. The device is still on genuine components, untouched. I'd like to go through it with multi-meter and schematic, but, 1) My schematic (genuine print) comes with no legend of part codes...
  20. Rootix

Goodwill/SA/Thrift Store Discussions & Finds

Pair of Tannoy Monitor Gold in Chatsworth Cabinets was the highest hit :banana:
  21. Rootix

Can anybody help identify this LLOYD'S?

I came across one of those some time ago, opened it as I do with every vintage gear and there was no doubt who manufactured it. The answer is Inkel. I have that special affect for Realistic receivers and have investigated insides of many of them either. When I opened this Lloyds I saw...
  22. Rootix

Camera suggestions

As you say you are not an expert nor photo artist. Modern cameras are micro picture editing labs anyway and you should be happy with any bridge camera within this price range. Just remember that you will probably need to get some accessories like pouch, cloth, memory card or extra battery? This...
  23. Rootix

Leak Sandwich 150

Get ditton 25, recap and pair with some decent amp of your taste. 25's are rather efficient, but I would keep amp above 20wpc (60'/70') and 40wpc (later)
  24. Rootix

Leak Sandwich 150

You have got a pair of good speakers. Despite the fact those are closely related to Rank Wharfedale they sound very good. You will find plenty comments about tweeters rolling off etc, but do not pay attention to such. You have a pair of rather efficient and famed LEAK Midbass drivers supported...
  25. Rootix

Relay Closing Prematurely - AU-7900

When you attempted recap did you test all new components prior to mount into your amp. Many of new pieces does not hold specs nowadays. You should go through your amp with multi meter and schematics.
Back
Top Bottom