Search results

1. M

Sure cartidge identification

Can anyone help me with the identification of this Sure cartridge? I see a couple pictures online that might be it but your expertise would be appreciated. It is currently on a Kenwood KD-3070 turntable. Thanks, Mike
  2. M

Fisher 800C dim bulb brighter than I am comfortable with

I have a Fisher 800C that I’m in the process of rebuilding that I put away for a year and now am getting back to it. As far as I remember, things were fine when I put it on the shelf, but now it is looking too bright as I brought it up on the dim bulb tester. I first brought it up on a 100W...
  3. M

Is there a discrepancy between the MC2100 service bulletin and the latest service manual?

I’m getting ready to install service bulletin 044-980 on my MC2100 with the serial number 60W11. Most everyone agrees that it is a good idea when you rebuild your driver board, to replace the parts according to the latest revision. In my case, the latest service manual I have is version...
  4. M

Marantz 4300, to replace the relays or not... and other questions

I have several Quad 4300's I'm working on and I notice that most people here replace the relays on a full restore. I usually clean the relays and never have had an issue with the sound cutting out. I replaced the speaker connectors because they were damaged and so the unit is sitting there...
  5. M

Fisher, Scott tube audio chassis, parts, transformers a gold mine Portland OR

Fantastic deal. No affiliation. I did buy one of his Fisher receiver packages years ago and never regretted it. https://portland.craigslist.org/clc/ele/d/wilsonville-fisher-scott-tube-audio/7085412570.html
  6. M

Voltages high on my MC2100

I recently acquired a pretty clean MC2100 and have mostly rebuilt it. I checked the voltages after I was all done and noticed that they are a little high compared to the schematic and the last 2100 I had. The power supply voltage is about 10 volts above normal and the voltage off of the large...
  7. M

Pioneer SX-680 needing repair in Portland Or. Free

A great deal. I have too many projects to add this to them. https://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/ele/d/pioneer-receiver-sx-680/6458784166.html
  8. M

Transistors seem reversed on my Marantz 4300

I'm rebuilding a 4300 quad receiver and am replacing the transistors on the PD01 tone board because they are pretty noisy. I started replacing the 2SC1345 transistors using the same orientation as the originals but then noticed that they are reversed from what the silkscreen on the board says...
  9. M

A question about replacing the voltage doubler caps in a 400

A while back I purchased a set of nine Fisher tube receivers and have been slowly rebuilding them and am down to the last one which is a Fisher 400. I’ll probably keep the 400 and either an 800C or an 800B. I’m keeping the 400 because I want one to totally modify as per Dave Gillespie’s...
  10. M

What type of capacitors are these on my C32?

I did a recap on my C32 and bought good quality caps but didn't pay attention to capacitor types such as low ESR, and low leakage. My C32 is a lot noisier than it should be so now I'm wondering if my capacitor choice contributed to this. I did some research and learned that the yellow caps on...
  11. M

Marantz 4300 vs 2285

It has been raining Marantz on the local CL recently and I've ended up getting great deals on a Marantz 2275, 2285 and a 4300 in the last month. I bought the 2285 because I've heard many people rave that it is one of the best sounding Marantz receivers ever made. I've also heard very good...
  12. M

Marantz 4300 power amp VD1212 diode question

I've been replacing the old VD1212 diodes with two series-connected 1N4148s. I was about to replace the one in front of the R722 pot when I noticed that the symbol on the P700 board was for a resistor and not a diode. It is labeled R716 instead of H740. What gives? The schematic shows it...
  13. M

Marantz 4300 458 transistors under black plate on the 700 board question

There are two 458 transistors that are supposed to be tucked behind that black plate on the 700 power board. It looks like someone replaced one on my board and did not tuck it under the black plate. Is there a reason to put them under the plate? Does it act like a heat sync for them...
  14. M

Any hope for the bent volume shaft on my 2285?

I just purchased a 2285 in great shape and bent the volume pot shaft transporting it home (long story). I felt sick to my stomach when it happened. I have tried to straighten out split shaft pots in the past and broke as many as I fixed. I don't want to take any chances on this one. Any...
  15. M

An EFB question

Dave, I think I remember you mentioning somewhere that you didn't change the 330K grid resistors and .047 coupling capacitors on your Fisher 400 since you felt the EFB took care of the tube running on the ragged edge. I have several Fishers that I'd like to compare with different mods and would...
  16. M

I went insane and bought 9 tube Fishers!

A tube gear repair man in town was clearing out his room of old projects and had 9 tube Fishers for sale on CL. Lately I’ve been selling off my stereos to clear out my mess, so I don’t know what got into me but I just filled up my room again! I must admit that it’s a very nice looking mess...
  17. M

Mcintosh C32 Main power caps install question

I'm restoring my C32 and wasn't paying attention when I pulled out the main power caps and had to put the new ones in by referencing a picture of the originals. I ran it for a few hours and opened it up to continue the restore job. I noticed that the power cap on the right seems to have a very...
  18. M

Harman Kardon Citation IIIX tuner

Well, I found a Harman Kardon Citation IIIX for a pretty good deal on Craigslist. Brought it home and it cleaned up real nice with minimal effort. It actually sounds real good even though it is totally stock. I noticed that the stereo beacon only goes red when it gets a very strong FM signal...
  19. M

Need help removing a Dual 721 from its base

I've owned this turntable since new and would like to re-lube it and replace the electrolytic capacitors. My problem is that I can't seem to figure out how to remove the turntable from the base itself. Has anyone here done this and can give me a hint? Thanks, Mike
  20. M

C32 preamp repair and rebuild questions

I recently purchased a C32 preamp at a reasonable price, but it does have a few issues. Surprisingly, there is not much here in Audiokarma about troubleshooting and rebuilding these units (at least compared to other units). I thank you in advance for the help you can give. Overall I like...
  21. M

Altec 511b on a La Scala. Impressions and a crossover modification questin

I have been reading up on La Scala mods and there is a consensus that the K400 is one of the weak links in the system. I found a pair of beat up Altec 511b's for cheap and spent some time listening and testing them. I used both my Atlas K55V (later version with the soldered connections) and...
  22. M

100 ohm output screen resistor question

Should the 100 ohm screen resistors that Dave (dcgillespie) recommends be 1/4 or 1/2 watt? Larry recommends 1/2 watt but the picture of Dave's installation looks like 1/4 watt to me. Is it 1/4 watt? Thanks, Mike
  23. M

Marantz 1060B left channel distorting

I have a Marantz 1060B that is distorting on the left channel. This happens when playing through speakers only. Both channels sound great through headphones. I cleaned all pots, sliders and switches with Deoxit and faderlube. I attempted a power amplifier adjustment following...
  24. M

Marantz 2020 tuner meters not working

I just found a Marantz 1060B integrated amplifier and a 2020 tuner for a great deal on my local CL. Both are supposed to have issues. So far the 1060B seems OK but both meters on the 2020 tuner aren't moving. I measure a little over 5 VDC on both of them. Anyone have a clue how to...
  25. M

Pioneer SX-727 not coming out of protection mode

So, I found an SX-727 dirt cheap. I love these receivers. The owner was using it as a pre-amp only because the left side was distorting. I took it home, cleaned it up and treated the pots and switches with a dose of Deoxit. So far, so good. I plugged it in and noticed it was clicking in and...
Back
Top Bottom