Search results

1. F

About when did "cheap opamp" headphone outputs come along.

I went and grabbed the sony. not bad. It'll do for now. But I'm wondering if I should've went to one of the other ones. This one is smooth and the detail is there. but seems a tiny bit rolled off at both ends. mid centric altogether. I'm looking for deep textured bass "which these phones do just...
  2. F

About when did "cheap opamp" headphone outputs come along.

From what I hear people say you should generally stick to a certain vintage for good headphone output on a receiver. About when did the separate opamp chips start appearing? Im looking at this sony ta-ax500 integrated amp for $100. Wondering what to expect not only for speakers but for...
  3. F

anybody into '80s or '90s amps and receivers. help me shop my CL again...

Looking for a receiver or integrated. Something warm that might go well with orthodynamic headphones. http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/search/sss?query=vintage+stereo&sort=rel http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/search/sss?query=vintage+receiver&sort=rel...
  4. F

Would this even be an upgrade...

dac has volume control from windows. So I dont necessarily need a preamp then? But preamps are so big and my dac is so tiny...
  5. F

So I can use my dac straight into an integrated. But a power amp needs a preamp not just line signal.
  6. F

Sony integrated amp TA-AX500 worth $100?

http://images.craigslist.org/00101_c6s9UWMsArt_600x450.jpg http://images.craigslist.org/00O0O_ax70aRcCdM0_600x450.jpg http://images.craigslist.org/00U0U_8hXXsJrBbm6_600x450.jpg This caught my eye on the local CL. Guy wants $100. Worth it? 15,000 uF MAIN FILTER CAPACITORS I'm not sure if those...
  7. F

right on. good to hear. SONY TA-AX 500 INTEGRATED AMP, 80 WPC 15K FILTER CAPS - $100 Looks nice too onkyo a-5 int. + t-9 tuner for $100. (I would try to separate)
  8. F

looks like some integrated amps have volume control and some dont...
  9. F

There is a 2000 but that guy wants $150. Think I'll wait some more anyway. See what else pops up. errr. no wait thats a 4000. yea still. He wants top dollar. not gonna buy that one. Again this will be matched with some speakers but also one of the goals here is something nice for headphones...
  10. F

there is an mr 235 for $100. that is after the phillips buyout but still supposedly a decent marantz of a genuine design. Also a sx1000tw for $70. Interesting because it's the first solid state pioneer yada yada. And people say it has a thick sound which I like the sound of. btw headphone...
  11. F

Ignorant or clever CL buyer

The seller would probably show other signs of shadyness if it got to that point. You would either pick up on it or not. The timing in and of itself would be suspicious. People dont just ring the phone off the hook for vintage stereo equipment.
  12. F

Ignorant or clever CL buyer

Sounds like a tire kicker. He probably knew exactly what they were. People who buy this stuff know what it is. Otherwise he would have just bought some bose crap or something closer or less specific to begin with.
  13. F

Thank you guys for you input. Yea that 5000 is actually gone i think. I did find a few other things under the same roof I may go look at. But that is indeed 2 hours away. On exactly the other side of pittsburgh so I have to go straight through. "sigh" I wish something would just pop up in...
  14. F

Simple question. What I have right now is a few decades old denon receiver avr-87. Late eighties or early 90s sometime. To me it just sounds ok nothing special. Sound quality is subjective it depends who you ask bla bla bla. should I really expect an improvement in sound quality by...
  15. F

For Those Who Bemoan How "Listening" Has Changed

Also music itself has changed in such a way that... who the hell wants to sit around and sink into a lady gaga album. How about kanye west. no? taylor swift? rick ross? beiber? foo fighters? Crappy indie rock played by stick figured rich kids in turtlenecks? No it's all just background music...
  16. F

Is this an ok deal?

I know nothing about this setup screams super bass. I guess I'm just thinking "it's better than what I have" But yea maybe i'll pass altogether.
  17. F

Is this an ok deal?

well... yes but yes I'm primarily looking for a better receiver. I use headphones a lot so I dont mind looking for speakers after the receiver. What I currently have is a denon avr-87 from the 90s sometime and I hate it. I've had enough of it's thin sterile sound. I used to have an all in one...
  18. F

Is this an ok deal?

pioneer sx 3600. Nothing too special I know but it's not the most horrible piece either and from what I can see it looks super clean. And a pair of very good clean original condition allegro MC4000s Seller wants $125 Is that unreasonable?
  19. F

Henry Rollins' $200K speakers: How punk is(n't) that?

According to half the people on here. If you didn't find it in a ditch on the side of the road in perfectly functional condition... then you overpaid.
  20. F

Looking at a 143.92543800

o i c. So that includes a lot of the popular studio standard stuff from the mid to late seventies then. RS-1000 and RS-2000 models and whatnot. Those are actually sanyo units that the people love so dearly?
  21. F

Yea I already seen that thread. Seems like it ended with somewhat inconclusive speculation. Was wondering if anybody had any personal experience or absolute certainty on which fisher badge model that would be and how many watts. Also what kind of signature do these fishers tend to have/sound...
  22. F

23. F

Just to quell any confusion from the get go... Sanyo did not make these... They are indeed Fisher. Sanyo never made anything that looked half this good. It looks like a decent 70s fisher. You tell me thats a sanyo I demand proof. But thats about all I know. How many watts is this model? Would...
  24. F

just pick up a Fisher 143-92551600 receiver

Nope. I'm pretty sure they use more power when playing loud music than not.
  25. F

Realistic sta 2290. Who makes that one?

Thats the answer i was looking for. Thank you for saving me the drive. I'm gonna hold out for something else.
Back
Top Bottom