Search results

1. fiddlefye

Finally got a dust cover made.

I've been needing a dust cover for the Denon DP-80 set-up from day one and finally got one made. JMK Displays Inc. did a great job. Not sure why the photo came out so dark here as it isn't on my computer. Huh.
  2. fiddlefye

New arm in the house

A Jelco TK-950L became available and I found I couldn't resist. It will replace the Audiocraft AC-400C in the front position on the Denon DP-80. The Technics EPA-250 is staying in back and not going anywhere. I'm either have to mod the current board or make a new one (I think I have some more...
  3. fiddlefye

What is this arm?

Anyone know what this slightly unusual arm might be?
  4. fiddlefye

Interesting Telefunken table

An interesting table I found today in an antique shop (for want of a better term). Telefunken TW-250 Hifi. I didn't have my camera with me, so I borrowed the image online, but the example I saw was still brand new in the box, no base, never been set up at all. Not exactly something I need, but...
  5. fiddlefye

The "Enterprise" has been christened at last!

DSC_2428 by fiddlefye, on Flickr
  6. fiddlefye

Denon DL304 with Audiocraft AC400C?

Sometime in the next couple of days I will have the Audiocraft AC-400C 12" damped unipivot mounted on the DP-80 and I'd picked up a DL304 I planned on running. I've been having a look at the specs and seeing what appears to be a much more compliant cart than I recalled. Here are the stats...
  7. fiddlefye

How do YOU set anti-skate?

In setting up things on the Thorens I've been thinking about the topic. When I first started out in audio I did what I suspect most of us did - set the little dial to match the VTF. Then over the years I've tried various methods including mono pressings and getting the image dead centre. This...
  8. fiddlefye

Mounting armboard on plinth - maximize or minimize contact area?

I'm in the final stages of working out the mounting for a couple of armboards on a rigid plinth and I'm wondering whether it is better to allow as much contact as possible between the boards and the plinth or to remove some wood to minimize. Any thoughts/reasoning on this?
  9. fiddlefye

Fidelity Research FR-24 peeps! A Proposal

There are a few of us on forum and I'm wondering if anyone would like to come on board for a little project? As you may know, when first shipped out the arms came with three counterweights - sort of a "Papa Bear", "Mama Bear" and "Baby Bear". Given that these arms are all at least 40 years old...
  10. fiddlefye

"Lazarus" the TD-125, back from the Dead

Some members who've been a round awhile might recall me mentioning my poor Thorens TD-125. We've been together now somewhere on the far side of thirty years - it was my first "good" table. Over the years it had a change of arm and a number of carts, but it always sounded good. Over the years I...
  11. fiddlefye

Trying to replicate a "sound"

The tube power amp in my main set-up has essentially remained the same for the better part of three decades now. Other amps have come and gone, pre-amps, and all of the rest, but the Conrad Johnson MV-45 has remained. The sound has always been lively and brilliant, colourful yet neutral - like a...
  12. fiddlefye

Turntable from Ikea?

I just ran into the suggestion that there may be a turntable (well, it actually says "record player") in the offing from Ikea before long. So the question would then be how much assembly would be required? https://pitchfork.com/news/ikea-launching-new-record-player/
  13. fiddlefye

Any techs out there who know the Denon DP-80/75 REALLY well?

A couple of months back I picked up a Denon DP-80 with a nice two-arm plinth. It was sold by a reputable audio seller as "functions perfectly, strobe burned out". I took it to my tech to go through and he immediately found that while the lights came on there was no function at all. After some...
  14. fiddlefye

Multi-arm plinths - who is running one and what have you mounted?

So I bought this Denon DP-80 and the guy threw in a big two arm plinth with it, no arms. DSCN1844 by fiddlefye, on Flickr I have an Audiocraft AC-400C coming (thanks to Mister Pig) for the No.1 spot and am pondering candidates for the back board. In looking on the 'net at mulitple-armed...
  15. fiddlefye

Eminent Technology ET-2 mounting distance?

I'm trying to figure out whether an ET-2 would work for a particular installation I have in mind, but can't find an actual distance the arm mounts from the spindle. The figure is given for the distance from pivot to stylus (7 3/8"), but that isn't the same thing. All the manual says is to use...
  16. fiddlefye

Just bought a Denon DP-80 - looking for advice

So I was looking for a turntable for a friend who has been having Oracle woes (another thread) and found a Denon DP-80 that called out to me. Needless to say I bought it as the price was too good to pass up and the seller was someone I've dealt with before quite happily. Everything is working...
  17. fiddlefye

Seeking some Oracle advice

I was talking with a friend today about an Oracle table that someone gave/loaned him (he isn't quite sure of the situation). It is an early model, I'm thinking a Mk I most likely but I will attach a pic of it. Well, it is dead in the water. The question is where the problem is likely to be, the...
  18. fiddlefye

Thinking of picking up a Denon DP-80 drive unit

In good shape and apparently proper working order. Drive only. What would be a reasonable amount to offer for one these days?
  19. fiddlefye

Picking between a few readily available MC carts

As per another thread I have running - my Thorens TD-125 is getting to the point where it will be up and running soon. I have a lovely arm board heading my way and will be mounting a Fidelity Research FR-24 MK II arm on it. I have an Audioquest shell I'd like to use. The problem is what to run...
  20. fiddlefye

Resuscitating my Thorens TD-125 and looking for suggestions

Long story that some on forum already know, but my TD-125 took a horrid beating from the firemen when we had a lightning strike and fire at the house a few years back. I won't go into all of the horrors, but I'm at the point where I'm starting to put things back together and set up. The...
  21. fiddlefye

Packing a SME 3009 S2 Improved for shipping

Sometime in the next few days I need to pack up my 3009 to ship and I'm wondering if anyone has suggestions as to the best way to go about this. Making up properly fitting packing is a given, but what degree of disassembly should take place? Thanks in advance for the advice. I want to make...
  22. fiddlefye

The Party System

This past weekend was my wife's 55th birthday and I threw her a party in out back yard. Of course, a party needs tunes so I pulled out the garage system and set it up on the back wall of the building in a tent. Sansui AU-D607 integrated, Sony C8ESD 5 disc CDP, Technics T-1020 tuner, Klipsch KG4...
  23. fiddlefye

Best material choices for working on old changers?

I asked this question in a thread about a changer I'm working on and got few suggestions so I though perhaps if I asked in a more general sense I'd get more responses. What works best for removing old, gummed up grease? What are the best choices to relube and in what areas? I have a few things...
  24. fiddlefye

Looking for a little advice on a holiday break project

I have a few freebie tables that have been languishing in the closet for awhile now. I have a few days off so it seemed like a good time to pull one out and give it some love, see how it sounds. I decided to start with the Dark Horse of the lot, a Garrard Zero 100S. It came in a rather funky...
  25. fiddlefye

Any suggestions for dealing with a cigarette burn on a dust cover?

I have plan for this holiday week to pull one of my freebie "closet queen" tables out into the open and give it a bit of love. I have a few to choose from, but figured on going with the Garrard Zero 100 just because it is the prettiest and I haven't made an effort to hear it at all yet. It has a...
Back
Top Bottom