Search results

1. P

Interesting Stereo Ads? Post a pic for memory lane's sake.

Sony Dream Machine I had one of the units in the lower left, the cube. Must have had it for 15 maybe 20 years!
  2. P

Certainly looks like the inspiration for the Pioneer 700 and 900 series RTR's Looks like the Pioneer 700 and 900 series RTR's, doesn't it? :banana:
  3. P

dbx 117 I had one of these! Worked great, unless you tried to expand music too far and you'd get that pumping (breathing) from it. Bought it at Harvey Sound, Rt. 17, Paramus, NJ.
  4. P

What did I buy?

I use one pair of them for my computer speakers, and the other pair I use as surround speakers in the family room. Nothing great, but I remember paying only $99 a pair (cherry finish) in 1997 or 98, I think.
  5. P

EMIM sparks

Sparking I once saw sparking coming from an emit when I was auditioning a pair of RS5's at Bryn Mawr Stereo in Moorestown, NJ. Seemed the salesman was just a little too anxious to demo them to me, after the sparking incident, I held my ear to the emit and it was DEAD!:tears:
  6. P

Can you remember your local hi fi store when you was a teen?

Stereo Shops Monmouth/Ocean County, NJ Let's see... Two Guys, Radio Shack, Audio Discounters (Long Branch), Tech HiFi (Eatontown), Sam Goody's (Eatontown, and YES, they sold Infinity products), Wall to Wall Sound (Monmouth Mall, I believe), and I'm sure that after I post this, I'll have...
  7. P

Thorens Experts - Thorens TD166 MkII

TD 166 MkII Yes, you hit it on the head. The 166 has the removeable tonearm wand instead of just the removeable headshell. Thanks for all your help!:thmbsp:
  8. P

Thorens Experts - Thorens TD166 MkII

Back in the day, I had a 165 and was perfectly happy with it. Unfortunately, when I moved 5 yrs ago, I got rid of it. I'm thinking of picking up a TD166 MkII, and I'm wondering what the differences are between the 165 and 166. Is it the same tonearm/headshell? I did manage to keep an extra...
  9. P

hi-fi store experience. :)

Hifi House was a chain in eastern PA, used to visit one of their shops in Cherry Hill, NJ. Also in Cherry Hill was The Record Shop (I think they may still be in business), Sam Goody, and Bryn Mawr Stereo, which had higher end stuff. I actually met Saul Marantz and David Hafler at a Bryn Mawr...
  10. P

Report from mass production line: KENWOOD KR-9050

Gorgeous. I have a hard time believing that it didn't just come out of the box! :banana:
  11. P

Album Rock FM Stations I Miss the Most....

X2 on the WNEW. Grew up listening to it. Lived 110 miles away from it (about 90 air miles) and picked it up clearly with my KT8300 and a ginormous Winegard antenna. Pete Fornatale gave a lecture once at my college (Stockton State College, Pomona, NJ) and was very impressed by his knowledge of...
  12. P

Thorens TD 165 What To Expect

Td 165 Wish I still had mine...got rid of it when I moved 4 years ago. Other than replacing a belt or two over the 28 years I owned it, I had no problems with it. Was using an AT 440ML with it through a Hafler 110 pre and 220 power amp. Great sounding table built like a tank. :yes:
  13. P

ID these mid-domes please

Infinity dome mids Ditto on the bass from the Monitor Jr's. I was pushing them with a Hafler DH220 - 110WPC X2.
  14. P

OK, former/current salesman, what's the stupidest thing a customer ever said to you?

Dumbest thing you've heard.... I was in a Sam Goody in Eatontown, NJ in '77 listening to the Infinity Q series speakers. A guy walks in and says that he wants to buiy a "good stereo". The salesman asked "What kind of music do you listen to?". Customer replies "disco". Salesman says "you don't...
  15. P

What's The Dumbest Thing You've Heard Someone Say About Vintage Audio Equiptment?

"Nobody listens to big speakers anymore. They don't sound as good as surround sound." :tears:
  16. P

Pioneer SX-424

My first piece of gear in 1974, paid $129 for it at a Radio Shack. 12 wpc, and a pretty decent tuner and phono section for the money. Sounded pretty good driving a pair of Altec 891v's. And yes, the plugs were a pain in the ass, but once connected didn't give me any problems. My unit is still in...
  17. P

Ideas on bookshelf infinities?

Qe's? Decent sound, should be able to find a pair for under $100, and they have the rubber surrounds, shouldn't have to worry about refoaming them. :music:
  18. P

Monitor Jr.'s

Monitor Jr's Had a pair that I got at a Tech Hifi in New Brunswick, NJ in '76. Awesome sound, clean mids/highs and great bass, even though I was driving them with a Kenwood KA-7300 (college sophomore paying my way through college and working part-time). And yes, if you weren't judicious with...
  19. P

Who remembers

In case you're wondering what ever happened to Eddie Antar... Google him. Not a very pretty read on how the company folded. By the way, the picture is Jerry Carroll, the pitchman for Crazy Eddie.
  20. P

Power Meter Units?

Audio Technology 510 LED peak display There was a company called Audio Technology in Schaumburg, Illinois that sold a free-standing LED power meter with rows of red leds which read from left to right as the power was increased. It was ohm selectable, and was pretty small, maybe 8 inches wide by...
  21. P

Sound issue

First thing, switch the R and L cables from the turntable into the receiver to see if the problem is in the cable from the TT. Make sure the receiver is OFF when you do this.
  22. P

Beck and Clapton, in Toronto, Feb 21, 2010

EC and Beck, together Maybe it's me, but I remember going to concerts in the late 60's and 70's that would run for 2 hrs and 20 or maybe 30 minutes. Every review I read now gives an on-stage performance of maybe an hour and a half at most. What's going on with this?
  23. P

KA-7300 Problems

Ka 7300 I got rid of mine about 10 years ago. I really miss it. You could flip the power switch off and still hear music for 3 seconds, great power supply, and an excellent preamp, too. :tears:
  24. P

kinks ripping off the stones

How about Soap Opera and Schoolboys in Disgrace? 2 great albums that didn't get much air time. Ducks on the Wall (Soap Opera) is a great song.
  25. P

TDK SA-X vs Maxell XL-IIS

I was at an audio show in Philadelphia in 77 or 78. I was at the Maxell booth and someone asked to see the 'scope traces of frequency response across the audio band. The rep recorded the same audio sweep 30-18 khz on both a XL II and a TDK SA using the same deck, and then synchronized the...
Back
Top Bottom