Search results

1. Ymir_Lifer

anyone else running vintage Empire carts?

Been a little while since I had a chance to log in and do some ponderin'. Had to attend, then recover, from a music festival that basically multiplies the towns population 10x for a week or so. Absolutely nuts I tells ya. - I think it's a shame that conicals have been so neglected by...
  2. Ymir_Lifer

If you decide to go that route I've had pretty decent luck with EVG Japan's aftermarket stuff, kickitagain. They don't quite match the sound of the few originals I've tried, but work well. I've just acquired an EVG 4239-PDE which I haven't had time to really judge yet, but the heavier tracking...
  3. Ymir_Lifer

Phone glitch... double post, will reply properly later. Thanks Wualta.
  4. Ymir_Lifer

If it wouldn't be too difficult, can you get a picture of the square damper thingy? I'm not sure I've noticed that before but these details can be difficult to translate into words. Of the pics I've posted so far, only the black one is generic. I too suspect they shoved a magnet in there. It...
  5. Ymir_Lifer

The bit I've been referring to is the armature itself... I think. On the 66/SBC/most generic styli that I have, the armature is a round, iron, tube-looking thing. But the 4000 has an extra piece in the middle that looks like a rod, as well as the tube. The Swiss generic looks like it's just a...
  6. Ymir_Lifer

Hey folks, I posted this in another thread I started but figure it should get a little better exposure here. It's been a while since reading this thread, I don't remember if it was ever mentioned. It would be interesting if there was a pattern to it all. Sorry for the (near) copy/paste and...
  7. Ymir_Lifer

Yellow Empire stylus: SBC-1,66LE/X,4000DII...?

SBC flippy guard is raised yellow letters, and the mysterious ought-to-be-a-4000 has raised letters in gold. I think I've seen pictures of SBC's with gold letters too. No surprise there, but it did throw me off for a while. I haven't had much of a chance to try and get the SBC tracking yet. I...
  8. Ymir_Lifer

Sidenote: my actual SBC won't track bass at all. Even at 3.5g there is horrible mistracking on the lowest level bass drum test on Shure TTR-110. Interestingly the flip down guard looks different from the grip. Should be visible in the last pics. Aftermarket in drag? I feel this may be the case...
  9. Ymir_Lifer

Wualta! Great to hear (see? read?) from you again. You were one of the guys that got me started down the road of Empire a few years ago when I was so far out of my element it's kind of funny to think about now. It all started with a bunch of crap sounding aftermarket pointy things and some very...
  10. Ymir_Lifer

Hey folks, it's been a while since I've come out from the shadows and actually made a post. Sorry if this comes off as a random thought train but I'm stumped. I've got 2 very different looking styli in front of me, both of which were labeled as Empire SBC-1's but not in the original packages...
  11. Ymir_Lifer

First turntable: Yamaha YP-B2, need help W/ Empire cart

Still haven't had much luck with the booming bass thing, although I haven't had much time to troubleshoot. It seems to be an isolation issue since I can't recreate the problem without the aid of bass heavy music, and it seems to have improved slightly after relocating the turntable. But at...
  12. Ymir_Lifer

Still no stylus, but I do have another problem that I can't seem to track down. In a nutshell, the left speaker has a hum with no signal present, the right is dead quiet. With the phono jacks unplugged, both sides sound the same. When I play a record at high but not excessive levels, I get a...
  13. Ymir_Lifer

Well, I decided to try the Astatic S913e knockoff... Fingers crossed... Sure do hope it helps to tame some of the IGD and sibilant distortion problems that the EVG 2000E knockoff seems to be having... Although I have managed to tame it even further by using an arc protractor with Lofgren A...
  14. Ymir_Lifer

First and foremost, I apologize to any of your fellow Empiricists that may have received bad information. Since the first response from them was quite vague, I asked whether they are indeed NOS or Astatic's own. The next response was equally vague. It read (verbatim): "Astatic Own" Shite...
  15. Ymir_Lifer

Again, thank you for sharing your experiences. I'm sure I would have made have made a(nother) regretful decision by now without all the guidance. The old Empire may still have a chance to be revived. Astatic replied to my email, they do have an S913e (N-144-ed) available. Whether it is NOS or...
  16. Ymir_Lifer

Thanks, that's actually not too bad. Hell I've had to wait for about 3 weeks for customs to clear a snowmobile engine before. Thankfully I live, essentially, right on the border, and there is a very handy little joint just across the line that will hold packages for us Canadians for a small fee...
  17. Ymir_Lifer

Andrew, any chance you remember how long your package from KABUSA took to arrive? The M97XE is another candidate that gets a lot of mentions, and they have a pretty good deal on them.
  18. Ymir_Lifer

Timmy's break... If I were only so fortunate... I live in a town of a few hundred -interesting- folks, the closest Timmy's is about a 30-40 minute drive from here. And you'd need to drive for hours to find another! Shit now I want a doughnut at 2am... Thanks for the link (I wonder if...
  19. Ymir_Lifer

On another note, anybody ever have trouble with turntableneedles.com? I emailed them asking why I received two 2000 series needles instead of a 2000 and a 4000. The response I got really felt like somebody using the language barrier as an excuse to avoid properly answering simple questions...
  20. Ymir_Lifer

Recovery... That's for quitters.... I've now come to a point where I'm stuck. Whether what I'm hearing is misalignment, wrong/crap stylus, burnt out record form the last person that didn't have a clue or even maybe poor pressings... I don't know. I'm beginning to wonder if the records...
  21. Ymir_Lifer

Thankfully the problem was caused by my big fat fingers pinching the little jumper wires into a short as I fumbled that horrendously tight stylus. Which even after a light application of 1500 grit sandpaper, still does not fit well. It actually looks to caused a bit of damage, hopefully...
  22. Ymir_Lifer

This doesn't seem right to me; When measuring resistance from R+ to L- it reads about 1k. But from L+ to R- its about 2 ohms. I also measured 500ohms L+ to R+ Both coils measure as they did before individually. I'm getting a bit worried now.
  23. Ymir_Lifer

Thanks again folks! Wow! Those prices on genuine Empire styli nearly brought a tear to my eye. At that rate, I may never hear the Empire's true potential. It's too bad that the only people I trust enough to buy used styli from, aren't likely to give them up any time soon (don't worry, I...
  24. Ymir_Lifer

Another question: Would MM or MC be the more appropriate setting for this cart? MM input sens.=2.5mv/47kohms ---- overload cap.:150mv MC input sens.=200uv/100ohms ---- overload cap.: 11mv I used MM and it seemed fine, but I figured I should ask.
  25. Ymir_Lifer

Apologies in advance for a long, scatter(brain)ed post... It's been a long day... The order showed up yesterday and everything does seem to work together. It even sounds pretty good, especially considering the set up cost as much as 2 styli and a belt. I believe the styli I received aren't...
Back
Top Bottom