Search results

1. x3workshop

Ovation Guitars in CT on June 8

Grew up in New Hartford. Owned a couple of ovations and had many friends who worked there.
  2. x3workshop

RIP Terry DeWick

Sad news and a great loss. Terry helped me with my first Mac rebuilds with plenty of advice and guidance. Always relied on him to help with troubleshooting.
  3. x3workshop

First time powering used MC30

Very nice and clean! Would be curious about the rectifier and power tubes in them. The rectifier looks like a 5U4G, and not a 5U4GB so the voltage drop and max voltages are different. 5U4GB is spec'd in there. Tube# - Fvolt - Famp - Vdrop - MaxPmA - MaxPv 5U4-G - 5.0 - 3.0 - 44...
  4. x3workshop

Quick cap question. Don't recognize this brand...

Agree on the Orange Drops. 716P are my pref. IC caps as well.
  5. x3workshop

Quick cap question. Don't recognize this brand...

I’d replace them all. Good quality pp caps are pretty cheap in the grand scheme of things.
  6. x3workshop

Heathkit aa-151 oscillation in right channel

Might sound silly, but try a different 6AN8. I had a similar problem with a Heathkit UA-1. After poking and redressing leads, I swapped the tubes out, one by one, until I determined it was a bad 6AN8. No more oscillation.
  7. x3workshop

Telefunken Black Diamond ECC83

The rights to the company names don't expire like patents or copyrights. Someone likely held the IP rights to what was left of those "companies" and M Mathews purchased/licensed those rights. Toni Fishman did the same with Telefunken's microphone production. He also bought the rights to...
  8. x3workshop

Attention Fairchild Freaks!

Well, they probably could, but the demand would be so small that the price would be extremely high. The new 670 compressor is $35K. They will likely sell maybe 2 thousand of those over the run of production.
  9. x3workshop

Some interesting news coming out of NAMM. Anyone with an interest in studio recording knows this piece of gear and its status/history. The 660 & 670 are really Fairchild's lasting claim to fame. https://www.mixonline.com/the-wire/fairchild-debuts-660-compressor-limiter-at-namm-2024
  10. x3workshop

They are indeed foil and not plates. I have a very clear unit that I can photograph with a grid/size chart as well as color chips to get it right. It's the mirror gold tone that can be difficult to match.
  11. x3workshop

Very nice! I'd be down for some foils if you go that route.
  12. x3workshop

My .02¢ Cosmetics: They are pretty rough IMO. Give everything a good cleaning and see how you feel about them. You could repaint the trannies using an autoshop that can match and do a proper spray on them. The chassis' don't bother me so much and it would be cool to have the prototype...
  13. x3workshop

Green underside was from the early units. The circuit was also an early version as Dave G points out in his great restoration thread. https://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/rare-beauty-fairchilds-275-amplifier.909896/
  14. x3workshop

MC30 Tube Choices

Heater current is 1.4amp for an EL37 and .9 for a 6L6GC.
  15. x3workshop

MC30 Tube Choices

I'm running cleartops.
  16. x3workshop

HK Citation II step by step restoration and upgrade "how to" thread

The link in post #88 above has the assembly pictorials. Are they the ones you mean?
  17. x3workshop

Early MC240 Owners Manual

I think that is only the brochure, not the manual. The correct service manual is there, but not the owners manual.
  18. x3workshop

Early MC240 Owners Manual

I may have that. I'll have to check my physical manual library.
  19. x3workshop

Acrosound UL-II rebuilt with photos.

Ei KT90's. Best sounding tube in that amp. Ever.
  20. x3workshop

Can anyone identify the equipment in this photo of Louis Armstrong?

They are Norelco R2R decks. The Tandbergs came later. https://louisarmstrongfellowsblog.wordpress.com/2021/05/21/armstrong-as-a-consumer-of-twentieth-century-audio-technology/ https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/20/t-magazine/louis-armstrong-home-queens.html
  21. x3workshop

Looking for McIntosh MX110 Knobs

Reach out to Audio Classics as they may have them.
  22. x3workshop

Updated - Memorial Information - Santa (Glen) has passed

Seemed like the one of the best of AK and will be missed.
  23. x3workshop

Acrosound UL-II rebuilt with photos.

@Brice is your man for boards if he has any left.
  24. x3workshop

Damaged MC 275 amp

Was the box damaged, bashed or dented? If it was, it was the shipper. If not, the amp likely was that way when shipped. If #1, file a claim with the shipper, if #2, file a claim with paypal. Either way, a sad state of affairs.
  25. x3workshop

Jelco Tonearms

Think it's BS. No feedback for that seller for a year.
Back
Top Bottom