Search results

1. Roboturner91

How would you describe the sound characteristics of your stereo system?

Yamaha CX-830/MX-830 and Monolith Encore T6: Bass-heavy, warm, rolled-off treble, but a really wide soundstage
  2. Roboturner91

YouTube Reviewers and their hearing

I like Cheap Audio Man, he's alright. JoeNTell is pretty cool too. With Andrew Robinson, his vocal patterns and head nods drive me nuts. He does TV news anchor voice too hard. Guttenberg is fine but so much of the stuff he reviews is out of my league.
  3. Roboturner91

Calling All Yamahas. Time to Post Your Pics

LOL, I think it stood for troublesome and tawdry, which is why I have a Mazda now
  4. Roboturner91

Early to mid-90s gear

I've got a wild hair to get myself a Yammie laserdisc player and use it as a CD transport, for no other reason than they're big and cool looking. Anybody got any experience with CDV-1700 or CDV-870?
  5. Roboturner91

Are passive speakers destined to sound less "forward" than active speakers at low volume?

It sounds more like a case of you just not liking the Yamaha "house sound." You wouldn't be the first, FWIW. The active speakers you are referring to are (I'm assuming) budget models, which are typically voiced with a big bump in the 100 hz range to make it sound like they have more bass than...
  6. Roboturner91

Every time I start to think I'm pretty happy with what I got, I see something like this and it makes me want to take out a $30,000 loan and go absolutely apeshit.
  7. Roboturner91

My goodness, look at that thing
  8. Roboturner91

Are Pre-amps and Amplifiers a necessary experience?

I can compare apples to apples because I have a Yamaha preamp/power amp pair and a bunch of Yamaha gear from around the same time (early 90s). The separates, you've probably guessed, are my daily drivers. There is not a huge difference in sound in the separates (CX/MX 830) compared to the...
  9. Roboturner91

Early to mid-90s gear

Yeah, I'll probably give most of the rest away, but with that one I'm not so eager. It's real nice, sounds as good as the separates IMO.
  10. Roboturner91

Early to mid-90s gear

Only thing I've ever had to do with any of mine is replace the phono board on the 830 preamp. They are incredibly durable, it seems.
  11. Roboturner91

Early to mid-90s gear

Funny to see this thread again, LOL Currently main system is a CX-830 and MX-830, CDX-730 and EQ-550. In the closet and other assorted places throughout the house, garage and a storage unit: RX-360 RX-450 RX-460 RX-550 RX-750 RX-V850 AX-450 AX-750 RXV-1 CX-630 MX-630 and 5-6 CD players...
  12. Roboturner91

Room interaction…friend or foe?

This is called destructive interference. Have you tried stacking the subs, one on top of the other? It works especially if you're stuck in a squarish room.
  13. Roboturner91

Room interaction…friend or foe?

Friend, with the caveat that I'm kinda/sorta treating the room. When I say that, I'm not talking about hundred dollar acoustic ribbed foam thingies covering the walls. Just....stuff. Movie posters, sports pennants, cellular shades on the windows. A nice thick rug if you have hardwood floors. An...
  14. Roboturner91

I thought I needed new speakers, but it turns out I just needed to get a little high

Yes, they contain a lot of the same oils from my understanding. There are hemp beers now. I've never tried one because I heard they make you super gassy but I've seen them in liquor stores.
  15. Roboturner91

I thought I needed new speakers, but it turns out I just needed to get a little high

I will say I didn't like the treble at first. It seemed edgy and a little harsh. I let them play for maybe 5 hours while I was at work and when I came back it felt like it had smoothed out a lot. I usually think of break-in in terms of stiff rubber surrounds on woofers loosening up a bit, but...
  16. Roboturner91

They are 14 inches deep, which means if you have a small room and need to get them off the wall, they are taking up a pretty fair amount of real estate. I'll put it this way, my room is 12x12 and I wish it was 13x13. They also weigh about 50 pounds each. 50 pounds used to be a lot lighter than...
  17. Roboturner91

My favorite beer used to be Bass. I can barely stand the stuff now. It used to be malty and have like a banana vibe. Now it usually tastes a little skunky. Obvious they changed the recipe. I pretty much drink only Shiner Bock now. Or the Aldi equivalent, which is indistinguishable at least to me.
  18. Roboturner91

It's only been a couple days so I'm still figuring them out, but my first impressions are that they sound as big as they look. Massive soundstage, lots of bass presence and they go pretty low; it's the kind of kind of bass I'm only used to hearing from a subwoofer. Not saying they go as low as a...
  19. Roboturner91

Monolith Encore T6. They are bad ass and gigantic
  20. Roboturner91

CDs... an embarrassment of riches!

I love my CD's, I'll never stop having them. I have a self-imposed limit of 500, because that's all that will fit on my shelf. Every once in a while I'll go to a music store and buy maybe 20 or so, then get rid of 20 I don't like or listen to anymore. I rip them to my hard drive, yes, but I also...
  21. Roboturner91

Kids don't know shit about message boards. You know what kids are absolutely OBSESSED WITH, though? Youtube. And there's way worse shit on Youtube than there has ever been on AK, weed talk or no weed talk.
  22. Roboturner91

Oh, and P.S., I bought new speakers anyway and they are ****ing awesome!
  23. Roboturner91

Even before it was legal near me, there was hardly a place in public I could go without smelling weed smoke on somebody. Well, church, but that's about it. In my work, I deal with police officers a lot. Some of them I would even call friends. To a man, anytime the subject has come up, they say...
  24. Roboturner91

https://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?search/68244483/&q=brew&o=date&c[user][0]=150829 Here are three posts in which you admit to drinking beer. What about the children?????? :(
Back
Top Bottom