Search results

1. Hanleyster

Speaker advice needed - worth restoring Philips 476?

I got some Philips 476 for $30 but the woofers are made by PYLE and the foam is gone. Hate to part them out.. but can't find the right woofers anywhere. Would some 10" woofers from an AVID speaker work well? Hmmm...
  2. Hanleyster

Help with putting together the right NAD components?

I have a random smattering of NAD components and I would like to come up with one stack that all are from the same series. Apart from the different colors and knobs, how do I know if its supposed to go together? Here is what I am working with: I think I need a monitor series tuner and...
  3. Hanleyster

What is your favorite vintage "pizza box" style/size receiver?

NAD made one, Realistic, Technics etc. I just love the little things.
  4. Hanleyster

Are there many vintage mini stereo systems with a Cd player and Aux input?

I have a little JVC mini stack that is pretty neat. Was wondering if companies like NAD ever made something similar? Looking for a nice little dresser top system for my daughter to use. Dont want a 90s bass-shy system, nor do I want anythngi with too much upper bass.
  5. Hanleyster

I thought the vintage audio scavengers were bad until I met the Hot Wheels crowd!

Wow!! These guys are nuts!! I mean they dedicate their LIFE to finding rare cars. Going to the same stores every day. Employees selling entire cases to the highest bidder out the back door. I just thought it would be fun to buy some of these "car culture" sets that come out, but I cant...
  6. Hanleyster

Got a shipping quote from ARNOFF for speakers shipping NY to LA. Anyone care to guess?

Cost for them to pack AND ship a pair of Pioneer CS-99a's from NY to LA? $440!!!
  7. Hanleyster

Pioneer speakers help needed CS-99a and CSa700

CS-99a, sound was intermittant, sometimes nothing at all, then it might come on all at once. From playing around, I noticed that they play if you PULL on the knobs on the back of the speakers. I deoxited the pots but still, you need to pull the knobs for a good connection, is there a way to...
  8. Hanleyster

Smaller Advent (Green Vs. Red) vs. Dynaco A25 vs. Acoustic Research 4x

Hooked up the green smaller advents, orange smaller advents, Dynaco A25s and AR-4x. My favorite is the orange tweeter smaller advents, but then again, both the Dynaco and ARs have not been re-capped. Anyways, it was fun to compare them, I'm sure a lot of stores looked like this in the golden...
  9. Hanleyster

How would you summarize the history of speakers from 1950-today?

Anyone care to type up some cliffnotes?
  10. Hanleyster

Speakers in a Levi's ad.

11. Hanleyster

Boston T-1000 vs JBL L100T? (Should I swap?)

I currently have a pair of decent JBL L100Ts in my basement set up for home theater fronts. A real nice pair of BA T-1000s just popped up locally and the seller is asking 60% of what they are asking for on the big auction site. I used to have A400s and loved them but hated looking at them...
  12. Hanleyster

Are there any woofers on earth that could come remotely close to being a smaller advent replacement?

I have had some SA cabinets taking up space for a while now as I wait for a pair of woofers to pop up at a reasonable price. I sort of want to try the advent legacy III woofers since they are dual voice coil and fit perfectly. I think they are 6 ohms when wired up the right way? What do you...
  13. Hanleyster

Old timers, what does it feel like to be able to buy all this cool stuff for next to nothing?

You must vividly remember drooling over monster receivers and speakers back in the 70s and 80s right? Do you feel like you are living out your wildest dreams now that you can find the stuff at a garage sale for $10? I was born in '81 so I only drooled upon mid to late 90s stuff... not as fun...
  14. Hanleyster

Can I use a speaker selector box backwards to use 2 receivers into one set of speakers?

I want to toggle between vintage or modern simplification going to my JBL L100Ts.
  15. Hanleyster

ADS in recording studio, but what model?

Chas Eller at the Newport Folk Festival remote for National Public Radio, 1988
  16. Hanleyster

GD70, thank you for your veneer guide! Fixed my L100Ts up nice!

Thanks again for all your posts and advice. I had been staring at the chipped veneer for way too long on these L100Ts. Removed the veneer from the bottom of one of them and fixed all the chipped areas. At first it was difficult but the more you do the better you get. Helps to have fresh...
  17. Hanleyster

Are we all so obessed with speakers because we crave that moment the music makes your spine tingle?

You know , the shivers you get from a live guitar solo or whatever. Thats what its really all about. When the bass is supposed to come in and rumble your innards, we want that to happen. When the guitar is supposed to wail , we need strong clear mids.
  18. Hanleyster

Both the rubber surrounds and spider detached, old glue failed.

I am going to try to re glue it all back together but my question is this: Do i shim and glue the spider back down and the surround at the same time, or spider.. let dry.. then surround? Woofers are from castle severn speakers. Thanks!!
  19. Hanleyster

Smaller Advent - can I use the dual VC woofers from Legacy III?

Alright so you have all been in the place. You think you score a set of speakers but then realize there are no woofers. Woofers on ebay cost more than you could ever sell the speaker set for locally, and, non available anyways. Hmm. I have an advent Maestro woofer and I could make it fit...
  20. Hanleyster

Kenwood 5010, are these not made to last?

I recently bought 2 of these receivers from two difference places. One worked, then something went wacky with the voltage and it shut the speakers off. I brought it to a shop and it would be too expensive to fix. Got another one and you BARELY hear a little distorted garble from one...
  21. Hanleyster

No Hurt Feelings - What speakers do you think sound terrible?

Not for the faint of heart - lets keep this thread free of argument. Just tell us if you have ever heard speakers that you either agree or disagree with the general consensus of. I'll go first, KLH 23, big deep bass but the mids and highs sound like the speaker is buried in a pile of mud!
  22. Hanleyster

Great website for all you wood lovers out there.

http://hobbithouseinc.com/personal/woodpics/_figureandgrainterms.htm Speaker hobby has inadvertently got me interested in all the different fancy woods out there. Next time I need a shelf i think it will be made of black walnut with a bit of figuring isntead of some stupid white plastic thing.
  23. Hanleyster

If my basement has bass nulls, does ported/non ported matter at all?

My basement is in the shape of an L, the speakers are directly across from the couch on the other side of the room. if you are in THAT section of the L, you get lots of bass, EXTREME bass when you are sitting on the couch with the wall behind your head. However, if you leave that branch of the...
  24. Hanleyster

What the heck was DCM thinking putting all this black tar around the woofers?!?!

Just went to remove the woofers from a pair of DCMs. What on earth?? Where are the screws?? What the heck is this black junk everywhere???? Digging with screwdriver.. nothing.. ended up ripping the rubber surround right off the frame.. DAMN YOU DCM!!!!!!! DAMN YOU!!!!
  25. Hanleyster

JBL L100T vs Cerwin Vega E312 Battle of the 3-way 12" floorstanders!

Picking up a pair of CVs today. I've always been curious about what these two would sound like when compared. What if the $50 CVs are the winner to me?? EEK!!
Back
Top Bottom