Search results

1. Snade

WAF - very high - speaker setup

The goals of this stereo setup was to make the wife happy and add some music to the living room of our new house. Our taste in furnishings has lately gone to mid-century modern and uncluttered. My wife likes this setup. The speakers are Elac B6 bookshelfs sitting on the floor with studio...
  2. Snade

Local Business - restore vintage motorcycles

I have no connection to this small business, but I am a fan. They are located not far from me in West Palm Beach. I thought you guys that enjoy looking at vintage bikes would like to see their current inventory. I like that they don't do complete restorations and they don't do lots of mods...
  3. Snade

New Car - Tesla Model 3 Performance

Just sharing my experience buying a new Tesla. This is my first EV and I live in Florida. Last Car: 2015 BMW M235i with manual transmission (sold it to Carvana) New Car: 2021 Tesla Model 3 Performance (delivered in March, 2021), price paid: $58k plus taxes and some fees Summary: As a daily...
  4. Snade

Amazon Music streaming- recent improvements (2021)

I've been a happy customer of Amazon Music for over a year. I stream to a headphone stack and to a vintage stereo setup, both using Schiit DACs. Two recent changes make it better: 1. They lowered the price of their Hi-Def streaming. In the past they had "Unlimited" streaming with no...
  5. Snade

Speaker ID - very modern looking

Wall Street Journal did a story in their real estate section about a modern house in Chicago and this is the living room. Just curious - what speakers are those?
  6. Snade

Dead & Company live album - Wrigley Field, 2017

These are not official album releases of Dead & Company, but live recordings that have been recently released on streaming services including Amazon Music. This is the current touring (pre-covid) version of the Grateful Dead with three original members plus John Mayer. I find John Mayer's...
  7. Snade

Rectilinear III speakers - price in 1973

One of my favorite vintage speakers is the Rectilinear III sold from the late 60's into the mid-70's. I own the "highboy" version, but Rectilinear in the early 70's came out with a "lowboy" version with a higher WAF. I recently came upon a print ad from 1973 for a stereo store in Champaign...
  8. Snade

Snade's Headphone setup

I've owned headphones in the past, but seldom used them. But this hobby is all about learning and experimenting. I listened to a Steve Gutenberg video last month where he talked about headphones and headphone amps and DACs. I decided to buy a setup he recommended: Massdrop Sennheiser HD 6XX...
  9. Snade

Corvette fans - amazing photos

I follow this Chevy salesman on Facebook. He's been posting new photos of C8 deliveries - amazing looking cars. But today he posted over 70 historical photos of corvettes being built going back to the 50's. These are amazing photos. Here is the Facebook post...
  10. Snade

Garage Setup - Listen to albums / drink beer

Invited my neighbor Jack over to listen to some music and have a few beers. Tried to make it covid-conscience - in the garage but garage door fully open, chairs about six feet apart. This is in Florida - outside temp was about 76 degrees. The Setup (all gear out-of-rotation - previously...
  11. Snade

Snade's "Nostalgia" setup - early 70's Dynaco, Dual and Sony

Fun project for 2020 - put together an amazing looking and good sounding early 70's stereo setup (and forget about covid and elections). It's finally about done and sounds very nice. From various online sources (including AK) I found the following: Sony TA-1150 Integrated amp, fully recapped...
  12. Snade

New Springsteen Album - 2020 - review

This album is terrific and I'm not a huge Springsteen fan. This is the best thing to happen in 2020. Listen to it after three beers and you will experience the true meaning of life. (smile) I'm kind of obsessed with this album at the moment. Cheers, Snade
  13. Snade

Why recap 50 year old speakers?

I agree it's a good thing. I've recapped vintage speakers before with good results. I'm about to open an original pair of Dynaco A25 speakers and replace the single cap. My question is - if the old cap is "out of spec" is the only advantage to replacing the caps establishing the original...
  14. Snade

Stands cost more than Speakers - Dynaco A25

My pandemic project has been putting together a "nostalgia" system - all early 70's mid-fi gear in walnut. The system has Dynaco A25 speakers - found a minty pair, not a mark on the cabinets. The amp is the Sony TA-1150 integrated with original walnut cabinet. I will probably add a Dual 1229...
  15. Snade

Favorite "Eclectic" streaming station ?

This is one I am really enjoying. How about you? What is yours?
  16. Snade

Sony - early 70's integrated amps - TA1150

This hobby makes you wander in different directions - all fun. Lately, I've been interested in early 70's, lower-powered amps - the cool looking and warm sounding models. I found a Sony TA-1150 with original Sony walnut cabinet. It has been recently serviced and recapped. Review to come...
  17. Snade

Best looking Speakers you've owned ?

These never sounded that good. But I thought they looked cool. They are JBL Aquarius II speakers (1970). I no longer have them. If you google this model, they have an interesting and short history. What are the best looking speakers you have owned?
  18. Snade

Johnny Carson on SiriusXM Radio

We can all use some laughs these days. If you have SiriusXM in your car, try the new Johnny Carson channel. They play an entire show from the past with no commercials but you hear the entire monologue and guest interviews. Unfortunately that don't include the band playing. I just listened to...
  19. Snade

New Phone Camera Technology - depth sensors

Wall Street Journal did a story today on the new Samsung S20 phone. Seems the latest camera technology is capturing depth data that can be used later for augmented reality applications and post processing projects. Here is what the WSJ says:
  20. Snade

C F Martin Guitar - help ID

We are helping a close relative who lost her husband find a place for some of his belongings. He bought this guitar new from a guitar store about a year ago in Florida. She is offering to give it to us but we insist on paying a fair value. It is in perfect shape. Any opinions on this? I...
  21. Snade

Most beloved vintage speaker? - Dynaco A25

From the look of this room and setup, this guy can afford expensive speakers. But he has chosen the Dynaco A25. Why? Well, if you have listened to the A25 with a nice tube amp, you know why. I don't blame him. Limit me to one setup and I would love this one. (this photo posted to a forum...
  22. Snade

Parked next to this Stingray at the mall

Looked better in person. The paint finish was amazing and a spotless interior - such a beautiful car. Not mine. My car is the silver bmw next to it.
  23. Snade

Battle of the Bulge - 75 years ago

Just wanted to share a short and well-written article from today's WSJ about one of the most important battles in American and European military history. Cheers, Snade _____________________________ The Wall Street Journal, Dec 7, 2019 The Battle of the Bulge Was Hitler’s Last Gamble...
  24. Snade

Current Status of this Stereo Hobby ....

When I received the new MusicDirect catalogue in the mail, it reminded me how healthy our hobby is today. The catalogue has over 30 pages devoted to turntables and cartridges. All of it beautifully photographed. The cover photo of a young Joni Mitchel is a terrific photo from a famous rock...
  25. Snade

New Photos --> Sansui AU-717

I put a beer in my photos of vintage stereo for scale. I just put my AU717 back into rotation and it sounds fab. I took a couple of photos before I placed it in the stereo cabinet. It sill looks very good for its age. Cheers, Snade
Back
Top Bottom